Technical Clutch release bearing Stilo Abarth Selespeed

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch release bearing Stilo Abarth Selespeed

Thank you 🙏 the manufacturer told me that normally, HNBR seals are green, but manufacturers make them black. If this might interest anyone, I'm thinking of preparing CSCs modified by myself with the correct seals (including the O-rings), and I will make the thread to be able to attach the sensor.

And sincerely, in terms of reliability, I am extremely confident, the durability will be the same as the original, all the elements of the csc are new and with the correct seals. The only weakness could be the sensor which is difficult to find.

E sinceramente in termini di affidabilità sono estremamente fiducioso, la durata sarà uguale all'originale, tutti gli elementi del csc sono nuovi e con le corrette guarnizioni. L'unico punto debole potrebbe essere il sensore che è difficile da trovare.
Ho provato a cercare il sensore separatamente ma non lo trovo, non ha un proprio codice

Very interesting and excellent detective work. I see that Tyco have a UK outlet in Essex, and it could be worth a call to check availability ?

I would check myself, but as said before, I purposely bought a 'manual' to avoid any sillyspeed issues. I would also state that while I am more than happy driving my Stilo and keeping it on the road, I am certainly not a die-hard, and when it gets too expensive and/or difficult to repair, I will let it go :cry:.

I contacted the company Tyco Electronic in France (my country), I provided the doc and photos of the sensor, and a super nice technician answered me and told me that they no longer make this sensor and there is no match. We should try to see in another country possibly, if they ever have stock 👍

Wow, even more excellent footwork and disappointing to hear that they cannot help. Often when a company stops manufacturing a part there is a supersession or alternative part available, although in this case it sounds as if there isn't. Whilst you were successful with the seal I suspect finding an alternative sensor from scratch would be much more complicated and expensive.

On a brighter note, did Tyco say who else or where else they shipped that sensor to, or was is solely to Valeo ? Obviously if it was used in different applications/makes/models then the availability of old stock elsewhere could be easier. On that theme, while Valeo were unhelpful with the seal do they have a stash of sensors that they're sitting on ?.

Although there are many stories of CSC's failing presumably through age and wear, is failure due to the sensor a common issue, or is it part that actually lives a very long time, and shouldn't be a worry ?

By the way congrats on votre anglais, I live in 65220 and still can't order a beer without 2 or 3 attempts :oops: .

Wow, even more excellent footwork and disappointing to hear that they cannot help. Often when a company stops manufacturing a part there is a supersession or alternative part available, although in this case it sounds as if there isn't. Whilst you were successful with the seal I suspect finding an alternative sensor from scratch would be much more complicated and expensive.

On a brighter note, did Tyco say who else or where else they shipped that sensor to, or was is solely to Valeo ? Obviously if it was used in different applications/makes/models then the availability of old stock elsewhere could be easier. On that theme, while Valeo were unhelpful with the seal do they have a stash of sensors that they're sitting on ?.

Although there are many stories of CSC's failing presumably through age and wear, is failure due to the sensor a common issue, or is it part that actually lives a very long time, and shouldn't be a worry ?

By the way congrats on votre anglais, I live in 65220 and still can't order a beer without 2 or 3 attempts :oops: .
I didn't ask them if they made it only for Valeo or not, I'll give them a call again. In terms of the sensor, I don't think it is very fragile, there are two coils inside which are only used for reading, so in itself, it should not really wear out.. The only wear visible, it is the plastic of the sensor, which, with friction, sands down a little. When I reassembled my csc, I created 2 small metal tabs to overcome the problem, so that even if the plastic wears too much, the sensor ring (on the bearing) cannot turn on it even. This is a fairly easy job to do.

sorry, but the sensor on the bearing of the Fiat 500 Abarth with the robotised gearbox could perhaps be fine
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
look at the photos, you will understand better 👍

Unfortunately I'm not sure exactly what you are saying (it'll be me getting old) ?. Whilst it appears that the 2 sensors are slightly different, they look like they could be fairly easily made to work in either application ?. When you asked Tyco about the bearing seal did you ask if the newer 500 sensor would work OK on a Stilo ?

Appreciate that the cost of the 500 sensor is expensive, but if it can be made to work, and if someone has a Stilo CSC that needs a new sensor, it could get them out of trouble ?

Unfortunately I'm not sure exactly what you are saying (it'll be me getting old) ?. Whilst it appears that the 2 sensors are slightly different, they look like they could be fairly easily made to work in either application ?. When you asked Tyco about the bearing seal did you ask if the newer 500 sensor would work OK on a Stilo ?

Appreciate that the cost of the 500 sensor is expensive, but if it can be made to work, and if someone has a Stilo CSC that needs a new sensor, it could get them out of trouble ?
Hi, I didn't ask Tyco directly, but I tried it on my Stilo well before I started calling Tyco and it works perfectly 👍 the selespeed 500 sensor works without problem on our Stilo. The only difference is the plastic ring on the bearing with the sensor, there is no plastic stop to prevent the ring from rotating on itself, it is therefore necessary to create two small metal tabs which hold the ring in place .

All in all well done, and a good engineered fix. I note the 'green' materiel which I guess is the same as that used in Aircon O rings etc in place of standard black rubber ones.

At the end of the day you have a working car and some spares to sell if you wanted, all for a price probably less than that which a garage would charge for just taking the gearbox out and putting it back in without doing any more.

Noting that an original Selespeed CSC would be expected to do 'n' years and 'x' 000's of miles, I do hope that yours will do the same. It would be interesting for you to report back after a time to confirm the life of the part.

Congrats again (y)
to give you some news, I have driven more than 2000km without any problems until today 👍 everything seems to be working well 🙃

Salut, je peux t'acheter un joint ?, j'ai déjà un slave manuel ...
Je t'ai mp sur le forum, je suis pas sur que t'ais vu mon msg !

a+

Back