Technical Scuttle Drains? No duckbills..??

Currently reading:
Technical Scuttle Drains? No duckbills..??

Here’s two photos I took showing inside the plenum (part of set on how to dismantle, which I will post sometime) - hard to see as dark green car! First shows passenger side with the ‘deeper’ portion which the drains are at the bottom of (below the bright blue bit). The other, you might just make out the air vent through into the car, behind the wiper motor. For water to reach up that far means a *lot* of water is trapped by the blocked drains.you can see the drain in the second photo, at the right, under the large, ridged plastic tube.
The blue plastic bits under the windscreen are the connections to the elements in the heated windscreen. The tube from bottom left of second photo is the screen wash pipe, disconnected from the scuttle cover to remove it.
These photos were taken before I cleaned the scuttle area - you can make out dead leaves and a silty layer, especially in the second shot.

Attachments

• 263BB7B9-280C-4FF4-97BE-D3C5B195B2B7.jpeg
    263BB7B9-280C-4FF4-97BE-D3C5B195B2B7.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 204
  • 17345C1A-0583-4902-8E68-12E729798FBB.jpeg
    17345C1A-0583-4902-8E68-12E729798FBB.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Let's see if this helps - they are very hard to photograph, especially the 'drivers side' one.

4 photos below

first: a general under-bonnet view (1.3 MJ engine in my case, and air con too which adds extra plumbing across back of the engine bay). The two red arrows show the rough position of the drain 'duckbills'. Note the yellow dotted line from the centre of the wiper spindle (which is of course concealed by the cover) - referrered to in photo 3 below.

second: close up of the passenger side. My finger and the red arrow point to the duckbill. Note they are shorter than in the older car. (note also the metal bracket just to right of the arrow, which is stamped 'Ford'?)

third: more tricky and to be honest, best found by feel! With the palm of your hand facing upwards, follow the shape of the bulkhead straight down from an imaginary line directly under the wiper spindle (the yellow line in photo2). On my car there is a metal bracket just left of the location. You'll sense the flimsy end of the duck bill with your finger tips.

photo 4 - I think the end of the duckbill can just be seen here (taken by posting phone down amongst the plumbing!). It is half inch to the right of the metal strap going down the bulkhead, and above and slightly right of a second metal bracket in the centre of this photo. Completely hidden by the air filter housing.

For good measure, photo 5 may be clearer than photo 2 for the passenger side one?

On my 2013 Panda, where the tubes were blocked solid when I got it and so didn't respond to being 'squeezed from underneath', I actually removed the whole plastic panel beneath the windscreen (it is all just clipped into place) to clear them from above. Once clear, an occasional 'fumble' form underneath would loosen any subsequent blockages and they stayed clear for the next three years.

Good luck!
Pete

Thanks Pete!

My newly bought 4x4 had water sloshing around this morning, and I couldn’t find them for love or money!

10 mins with a torch, and asking everyone I thought might know, yielded nothing.

They are almost impossible to find and the aircon pipe work and engine are in the way for anyone with actual arms. I’d really never have found them without your photos.

I did get to them eventually though, and (no kidding) about a gallon of water came out. It was certainly several times the litre I then tipped in to see if it drained.

I’d better check my Mum’s 2013 4x4 now.......

My newly drained Panda also thanks you.

Thanks Pete! ... I’d really never have found them without your photos.
I’d better check my Mum’s 2013 4x4 now.......

Glad this helped. They really are a pain if allowed to block up. I've got into the habit of 'waggling them' (ooh er) every now and again, especially as autumn sets in and leaves and bits start falling from the trees.

Worth commenting that the Fiat 500 has exactly the same issues, so if you know of anyone with a 500, get them to check for blocked scuttle drains too.

I think most FCA cars have this issue... recently found some of these hiding up behind the inner arches on my alfa 159 - actually amazing how much water came out!! literally litres and litres and litres. Funny thing is cars been in pieces for eons with the liners out and i never spotted them for months, i was just having one of them sit back, sigh and take a deep breath before continuing moments when i spotted and poked it, and then i was sat in a rapidly increasing in size puddle lol :bang:

I think most FCA cars have this issue... recently found some of these hiding up behind the inner arches on my alfa 159 - actually amazing how much water came out!! literally litres and litres and litres. Funny thing is cars been in pieces for eons with the liners out and i never spotted them for months, i was just having one of them sit back, sigh and take a deep breath before continuing moments when i spotted and poked it, and then i was sat in a rapidly increasing in size puddle lol :bang:

Actually pretty common on all makes or car - the scuttle will need to drain somewhere.

Can I ask a question of the filling of the scuttle.

Whats the opinion on, if a car had blocked duckb ills would it more likely fill the scuttle quicker if it was parked facing down hill due to all the water on the roof and windscreen draining into the scuttle whereas a car parked facing uphill would only collect the water from just the windscreen.

Tim

Can I ask a question of the filling of the scuttle.

Whats the opinion on, if a car had blocked duckb ills would it more likely fill the scuttle quicker if it was parked facing down hill due to all the water on the roof and windscreen draining into the scuttle whereas a car parked facing uphill would only collect the water from just the windscreen.

Tim

I imagine that'd be the case, yes

I think regularly cleaning the car must help as I have had my Panda from new, the duckbills have never been blocked & under the scuttle seems to always stay clean. I also pour a jug of water over the scuttle from time to time & listen for the water running out the bottom to prevent them getting clogged up, seems to work.:)

I think regularly cleaning the car must help as I have had my Panda from new, the duckbills have never been blocked & under the scuttle seems to always stay clean. I also pour a jug of water over the scuttle from time to time & listen for the water running out the bottom to prevent them getting clogged up, seems to work.:)
Definitely. Crucially, regularly cleaning the bits that are hidden away: scuttle, the dirt trap under the front wing, around the rear suspension spring cups and so on is key to keeping any car happy. Avoiding parking under trees is also a big help - especially those with smalll leaves like Rowan and Birch helps keep those drains clear too.

Last edited:
I tend to stay away from trees, last autumn I parked the panda under a acorn tree for just about 20 seconds whilst letting my sister out of the drive, in that time a load of acorns fell out of the tree & put multiple dents onto the curved panels that run alongside the roof down boths sides (n), although the roof itself was fine. Next day dropped off at a really good body shop near me, the only one I will let near my car as I know them & they do things properly without filler, multiple paintless dent repairs later & £250 lighter the Panda was looking perfect again:D.

Would just like to say again how invaluable this Forum is for finding answers to Fiat issues. I bought a 67 plate Panda Pop last Friday and am loving it so far. Was a bit concerned about sloshing noises behind dashboard when driving it the next day as I had not heard these on test drive. Did a search on here and found the answer. It had rained overnight and duckbills were well and truly crudded up. Took the opportunity today to remove scuttle trim (much easier than I feared) and thoroughly clean up whole area behind it. Simple solution clearly explained by those with experience!
Just to say also that this is my first foray into modern Fiat ownership although have owned Fiats continuously since 1982 and still have a couple of classics. Am impressed that it was possible to do any dismantling work without breaking something or causing an error of some kind in the computer system. Long may it last!

Just back inside from furtling for my duckbills under my scuttle. I can report that I have done one (right hand), which once located and furtled with gave a whoosh and disgorged a huge amount of water onto the drive. Oddly satisfying. Can't find (reach) t'other, but hey-ho, one drain's enough for the moment.

Thanks all for the advice, images etc., I'd not have been able to do it without you ☺️

Back