Technical Scuttle Drains? No duckbills..??

Currently reading:
Technical Scuttle Drains? No duckbills..??

After yesterdays rain..had sloshing sounds up front. :eek:

Coolant looked fine..

Couldnt see any duckbills..

My GP has a weird drain tube.. but in poor light.. couldnt see anything resembling a drain point.. :(

Anybody got more info?

Charlie

Last edited:
Let's see if this helps - they are very hard to photograph, especially the 'drivers side' one.

4 photos below

first: a general under-bonnet view (1.3 MJ engine in my case, and air con too which adds extra plumbing across back of the engine bay). The two red arrows show the rough position of the drain 'duckbills'. Note the yellow dotted line from the centre of the wiper spindle (which is of course concealed by the cover) - referrered to in photo 3 below.

second: close up of the passenger side. My finger and the red arrow point to the duckbill. Note they are shorter than in the older car. (note also the metal bracket just to right of the arrow, which is stamped 'Ford'?)

third: more tricky and to be honest, best found by feel! With the palm of your hand facing upwards, follow the shape of the bulkhead straight down from an imaginary line directly under the wiper spindle (the yellow line in photo2). On my car there is a metal bracket just left of the location. You'll sense the flimsy end of the duck bill with your finger tips.

photo 4 - I think the end of the duckbill can just be seen here (taken by posting phone down amongst the plumbing!). It is half inch to the right of the metal strap going down the bulkhead, and above and slightly right of a second metal bracket in the centre of this photo. Completely hidden by the air filter housing.

For good measure, photo 5 may be clearer than photo 2 for the passenger side one?

On my 2013 Panda, where the tubes were blocked solid when I got it and so didn't respond to being 'squeezed from underneath', I actually removed the whole plastic panel beneath the windscreen (it is all just clipped into place) to clear them from above. Once clear, an occasional 'fumble' form underneath would loosen any subsequent blockages and they stayed clear for the next three years.

Good luck!
Pete

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 524
  • Slide2.jpg
    Slide2.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 540
  • Slide3.jpg
    Slide3.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 504
  • Slide4.jpg
    Slide4.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 485
  • Slide5.jpg
    Slide5.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:
Try behind the n/s wheel arch liner. remove 5 Philips scfrews adn I think 2 10mm nuts 1 being a plastic thing and it will pull out. 1 Screw is into the sill edge. The offending pipe willthen be revealed careful use of a thin garden cane from above will deal also but may push the pipe off. Not that this eems to matter much as its just a means of directing the water that is not really necesary.

Try behind the n/s wheel arch liner. remove 5 Philips scfrews adn I think 2 10mm nuts 1 being a plastic thing and it will pull out. 1 Screw is into the sill edge. The offending pipe willthen be revealed careful use of a thin garden cane from above will deal also but may push the pipe off. Not that this eems to matter much as its just a means of directing the water that is not really necesary.

??

Sunroof drain.. ??

Sorry, but no. The Panda scuttle drains (the 'duckbills' referred to in the subject line, that block and lead to water in the footwell area) are as shown in the photos previously in this thread, and also in this much-read item from the older Panda forum https://www.fiatforum.com/panda/272828-loose-plastic-thing-full-water.html?p=2784973

It can be unhelpful to later readers if information is posted to this forum that is not correct... so for those later readers, please do not look in the wheelarch area, but refer to the answers above , :) (The answer about looking in the wheelarch may refer to the drain from the sunroof - if fitted)

Last edited:
Let's see if this helps - they are very hard to photograph, especially the 'drivers side' one.

Good luck!
Pete

Made some progress.. :)

Tried around the back of the twinair motor.
RHS: left arm at full stretch can 'just reach' but not well enough to manipulate the debris out :(

LHS.. bill is directly behind aircon pipework.. :(
However .. I could reach the RH duckbill from here as pretty.much central in the car.. almost directly below wiper spindle ;)
Hooked out a decent amount of leaf.mould.

Overjoyed at the progress.. :eek:

I went back to the LHS one.. just about got fingertips to it.. and it moved out of reach :(

Nevermind with 1 completely clear it should still drain well.

Photos from me..?

Absolutely NOTHING to be seen.. :(
Access is so bad..

anybody want to see a handfull of leaf.mould..?? :p

Charlie

Last edited:
Made some progress.. :)

Tried around the back of the twinair motor.
RHS: left arm at full stretch can 'just reach' but not well enough to manipulate the debris out :(

LHS.. bill is directly behind aircon pipework.. :(
However .. I could reach the RH duckbill from here as pretty.much central in the car.. almost directly below wiper spindle ;)
Hooked out a decent amount of leaf.mould.

Overjoyed at the progress.. :eek:

I went back to the LHS one.. just about got fingertips to it.. and it moved out of reach :(

Nevermind with 1 completely clear it should still drain well.

Photos from me..?

Absolutely NOTHING to be seen.. :(
Access is so bad..

anybody want to see a handfull of leaf.mould..?? :p

Charlie
Good that you reached the more central one, as I believe this is at a lower point in the scuttle and so, arguably, the more important one to keep clear if you can't reach them both.

Thanks for the direction to the pictures.
Remove wiper arms and upper scuttle, pesky 1/6 turn turn buckles of the outermost edges!
Still could not see the duckbills, however removed leaves and debris. Used a dead tape measure to clean the two drainage pipes from the back/bottom of the scuttle box. Think could possibly rod the tubes with something like the dip stick, without removing scuttle. Water now drains to floor, rather than sitting in box so less likely to take air route.

Thanks again
Ps where can I get replacement turn-buckle?

...could not see the duckbills, however removed leaves and debris. Used a dead tape measure to clean the two drainage pipes from the back/bottom of the scuttle box

The drain tubes you mention *are* the duckbills — at least the top end of them. Those drain tubes have a shape at the other end that closes up to prevent engine fumes entering the car, but that (should) open to let water and debris out. The shape on the old Panda resembled a ducks bill, but on the post 2012 model they are less duck like.

I have a 62 plate MJ1.3
At the base of the scuttle/ the air plenum, I have two depressed rectangular areas in the base of this. Attached to these are rubber boots that narrow, like a funnel, that feed directly downwards. Hence being able to rod the tube out with a dead tape measure. There maybe a duckbill on the very end, unseen, in which case it runs lateral, rather than front to back slits as shown in the photo. I assume the pipes for the air to heater exit the plenum higher up?
When it stops raining I shall try again, put the car up on ramps, so I can see from below and take some pictures.

Thanks for the halford link, I was however trying to replace with a item that looked like the original rather than a standard fir tree or push rivet. Shall keep looking.

Thanks for your patience and input.

You can see the end of the ‘duckbill’ in my photos in another post. On the post 2012 Panda the drains were redesigned and has two slots at 90 degrees (so forming a cross). Although redesigned, the seem to clog up just as easily!
And yes, the air into the heater goes through a rectangular opening high up in the plenum, behind the wiper motor.
Other post https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-iii/475219-scuttle-drains-no-duckbills.html?p=4491909

Last edited:
Back