Same ol touchy subject !!!

Currently reading:
Same ol touchy subject !!!

Steve said:
This woman was supposed to be teaching kids to speak English, right? She couldn't possibly do that job to 100% satisfaction whilst wearing a veil. Kids need to see the word being formed on the lips. Also, she was on the BBC News Channel earlier and I could barely understand a word she was saying. She had no business teaching anyone English regardless of whether or not she was wearing a veil. She couldn't do her job dressed like that, so she should be sacked.
aggreed!

Jai said:
there is a massive muslim presence in india : approx 120 million, and growing

i think a few of our posters are confusing nationality with religion.....

No I'm not, I just didn't think there were muslims in India what with the conflicts.

If you commit yourself to living in another country you have to do your best to fit in. Harder for old people though I think.

As is said somewhere else, and has been said here, there is no need for Muslim women to veil at all. I've lived in Muslim countries and worked with teachers, and doctors and dentists and civil servants and shopkeepers - you name it. None of them veiled. No need. In fact the only masked women I saw were the bedu in the desert.

Out of school she can do as she likes of course. I have to look at some pretty sinister and spooky types on the street every day, and I wouldn't want them teaching my kids. These people have pierced and tattood themselves to deformity to demonstrate conformity with some sub-group of their own, and it isn't illegal. I think they're nuts, but it's a free? country so I have to live with it.

I would hope she is trying to make some sort of political point - but it's backfiring. Now we have someone with a cross round her neck being disciplined as well. This is becoming very silly indeed, and we all seem to be getting paranoid.

Disestablish the C of E and make all religious dispaly in public illegal. I am sick of all B....y religion!!!

Anyway. Kids do need to see faces. We convey as much meaning by expression as by words and, as has been said, hard of hearing kids need all the help they can get.

Last edited:
Ulpian said:
I have to look at some pretty sinister and spooky types on the street every day, and I wouldn't want them teaching my kids. These people have pierced and tattood themselves to deformity to demonstrate conformity with some sub-group of their own

why would you not want these people to teach your kids?:confused:

Dobby said:
why would you not want these people to teach your kids?:confused:
I wouldn't want an extremist of any kind (religion or otherwise) in a position of teaching children. Fair enough if people can put their views to one side enough to give children a balanced outlook, but where they can't then these views may come out in other, more sinister ways.

Helz said:
I wouldn't want an extremist of any kind (religion or otherwise) in a position of teaching children. Fair enough if people can put their views to one side enough to give children a balanced outlook, but where they can't then these views may come out in other, more sinister ways.

people with piercings/tattoos are not extremists

Thats generalising a whole group of people

At least if people with tattoos/piercings talk you can see their faces and hear what they're saying

I know who i'd rather have my children taught by

Dobby said:
people with piercings/tattoos are not extremists

Thats generalising a whole group of people

At least if people with tattoos/piercings talk you can see their faces and hear what they're saying

I know who i'd rather have my children taught by
Huh? I thought we were on about Muslim women wearing veils? That's what I was on about and what I thought you wqere on about in my quote.

Helz said:
Huh? I thought we were on about Muslim women wearing veils? That's what I was on about and what I thought you wqere on about in my quote.

oh sorry, lol ;)

SkinzCinqSporting said:
Well they all laughed at old Enoch Powell but seems he was correct.

not quite yet, but getting that way.

How do you remember Enoch Powell? lol, you're too young.

Back