Rip Nelson Mandela

Currently reading:
Rip Nelson Mandela

No problem my friend......As for Ernesto Guevara , I think people at attracted to his ideals , His feelings of unfairness towards his people , his willingness to stand up and be counted. Unfortunately the outcome replaced one tirany with another. Would he be seen as a hero if he had won real freedom and democracy..............???? Most likely... :) :)

Bomscare, you misunderstand what I'm saying, I was talking about Che Guevara who murdered women and children. Dave seemed to disagree with me that this wasn't OK.

:confused: where did i say that? ive said noting about Che Guevara this thread wasn't about him, this thread was about respecting the life and work of Nelson Mandela

:confused: where did i say that? ive said noting about Che Guevara this thread wasn't about him, this thread was about respecting the life and work of Nelson Mandela

I said that, you disliked the post which suggests that you agree with innocent women and children being murdered in cold blood

Exactly :)

It would be absolutely wrong to day he's a bad man and there was nothing good about him, in fact it would probably be correct to say there was a lot more good than bad, but the world does him a disservice when it forgets why he was in prison.

Do I detect a subtle selection of reverse gear from your opening statement?!

"Ziggy, he was a terrorist who isn't fit to lick the feet of those like Gandhi who managed to get what they want through peace"

My feeling about Mandela is that yes he was originally part of a terrorist movement.
Can that ever be justified?
Probably not, but it is hard to know how the system which classed blacks a sub-human could be changed by the blacks by peaceful means as they had no legitimate voice.
Was he a force for good on his release?
Yes.
Was he perfect and is SA perfect now?
Certainly not.
Have blacks been given an unwarranted sense of entitlement?
Quite possibly and that needs very careful correction.
Was Mandela a better figurehead for the country than Zuma?
Err yes.By miles.
And I fear that now that Mandela has passed, SA unfortunately will go the same route as Zimbabwe under Mugabe.

I don't have anything to add to what I wrote above.
I have been more amazed as each day has gone by since the old fella died about the hard to believe coverage by the BBC.
From the coverage at the memorial service last week during which reporters were interviewing each other, to the endless coverage of his coffin being flown to his home town for burial, to the Question Time edition being filmed in S.A. It is though the BBC are trying to take on an even more of a "right on"moral stance than ususal. You could almost imagine the editorial meetings. I bet it was like being in the students union bar in the days of Tariq Ali! (remember him?)
I know that it was supposed to be a sombre occasion, but given that it was held in a football stadium with a lot of dancing going on, I didn't feel too bad about having a right old laugh at the sign language guy who was clearly a fraud! It reminded me of the guy who used to come on Match of The Day when Chelsea hired an Italian manager who couldn't speak English, so this guy put himself forward as a translator. He lasted about a month before people who actually understood both languages rumbled him!
Anyway - RIP Nelson, and God help South Africa and all the South African people (all colours). I fear you're going to need it.

Back