General RHD conversion

Currently reading:
General RHD conversion

Hi all,
I am looking to convert my 500D to RHD.
Does anyone have a RHD throttle pedal and clutch brake pedal assembly that I could purchase?
I also think I might have to change the windscreen wiper motor & bracket.
They will be the same as the F model with the alloy pedal housing.

Hi all,
Does anyone have a RHD throttle pedal and clutch brake pedal assembly that I could purchase?
I also think I might have to change the windscreen wiper motor & bracket.
They will be the same as the F model with the alloy pedal housing.

tut... glad you are only "looking"
but you can make a rhd throttle linkage, and as RHD cars are few and far between. you will have to do serious modifications (doable) to the pedals unless of course you wish to part with a kidney as I am sure I have a set somewhere.........

early cars had a lhd wipers despite being rhd...
but I would say unless you go steering rack a RHD steering box, idler and bits are much harder as earlier cars have a different lower spline unless you change the column as well.. also the odd hole punching and filling

you will also need a RHD Speedo and RHD gear linkage.... :doh:

Last edited:
I think the suggestion of RHD Speedo and RHD gear linkage is way off the mark and more than a little misleading. I would suggest just closing the left eye when looking at the speedo and crossing your arms and changing gears with your right hand would suffice. :devil:

Joe R

It IS possible to convert a 500D to RHD--but expect to have a big hole in your piggy-bank! Parts such as pedal-boxes, steering-box and steering-idler are to put it mildly, rare! As for RHD headlamps and side-lamps!! I am sure that the main reason the "S.O.S" programme, when they converted the LHD car to RHD used a rack-and-pinion steering was because it is so difficult to find RHD steering parts. You will have to quite a bit of welding on the dashboard to move everything across. You will be able to retain the instrument cluster--just put a MPH board into it (they are available). I have a spare 500L throttle-pedal assembly, which will be available in the autumn (I work on my car in the winter--drive it during the summer). I have also noted that RHD and LHD are different--it is NOT just a matter of changing the pedals over.
But why do you want to convert the car to RHD---it is not difficult to drive LHD cars in the UK--it is just a matter of getting used to where to place the car. (and yes, I DO know what I am talking about--my last full-time job was driving 'high-end' cars, quite often in London traffic, and a fair percentage of them were LHD).
My personal advice, and reading between the lines of most of the other comments, is--leave it as it is--look very carefully at the cost involved, and think carefully about WHO YOU ARE GOING TO GET TO DO THE WORK!

I think the suggestion of RHD Speedo and RHD gear linkage is way off the mark and more than a little misleading. I would suggest just closing the left eye when looking at the speedo and crossing your arms and changing gears with your right hand would suffice. :devil:

Joe R

now that sounds like a very cost effective solution....
I believe that it may be possible to fit Driving Instructor "He Man" pedal set and fit one of those knobs on the steering wheel and leave it as LHD but actually drive from the RH seat

Hi all,

Blimey, you'll be going against the flow and planning to fit standard-sized, UK number-plates on it next.;)

Seriously though, if anyone could do a proper job on this.....it's Sean. Some of the logistics are easier than many people might imagine as the bulkhead has the pressings that give a good indication where the necessary holes should be. Cutting these and welding where necessary isn't going to phase Sean.
There's already the offer of a pedal-box from Tom...you're nearly there.
When I bought the overpriced piece of junk (to clarify...the almost scrap version of a RHD 500), I was partly thinking of the potential to future-proof Murf with what I now know to be exceptionally rare RHD-specific components.

https://www.ricambio.co.uk/1729-steering-idler-rhd--classic-fiat-500-126-600-850

Last edited:
To be honest I thought it was a very condescending reply from Tom. More like a lecture than offering constructive advice with all its shouty capitals!

As Peter says this is Sean we are talking about probably one of the most skilled people on the forum. If he wants to make his car RHD then that’s up to him.

I’ll probably upset a few people with my reply but just saying it as I see it.

I’ll probably upset a few people with my reply but just saying it as I see it.

:cry::cry::cry:

The phrase "why do you want to....?" is one that I have had to restrain myself from putting in CAPITAL LETTERS :D many times on this forum.:D:D:D
I'm sure Sean is aware that the idler and box are mirror images so they are simply place on the opposite sets of mounting studs. The only safety-. critical modification is welding on the steering column bracket.. a doddle. I suspect that there's hardly a difference in scarcity of RHD steering racks and boxes and the conversion being discussed is by far the easier. My take on DIY SOS is that the original bodyshell was RHD,, wasn't it? If so, someone had an alternative use for the original parts. ;)

Last edited:
Calm down people! It was only a question!

First off "I am looking" not "I am".

Thanks Tom for your advice of which I will consider as with everyone else's input.
If you haven't noticed by now, I don't like giving anyone else my car to play about with. Sandblasting and powder coating yes, paintwork I wasn't happy about. But everything else that will be me doing it.

I have attended a few car shows recently and been made a couple of offers for my 500. I also have advertised it at the last 2 shows to see what interest I get. Price "open to sensible offers".
One thing I get told is "I don't know if I could drive a lhd vehicle"
And even my wife said she would prefer it if the D was rhd.

So I thought I would investigate what it will take to carry out such conversion.
Yes I know the rhd components are hard to come by. But there were such components listed on a certain website a couple of years ago. Wish I bought them now.
Swapping the instrument cluster over - no problem.
Make a new bracket, cut a hole, weld up the old hole.
Electrics - no problem - extend wires
Bulkhead - as Peter said the studs are all there, just a case of making a few new holes and covering the old ones.
Throttle - I could make one
Pedal box - not so straight forward. Thanks Tom, I may take you up on your L one, but ideally would like a D/F one. I could possibly look to make new pedal arms and then change the shaft that operates the clutch cable.
I have a rhd 126 rack and I am sure that with a bit of brain power I could adapt this to fit.
I have been told by a man who knows that the wiper linkage was the same on the early cars.
So yes its going to be some work and will have a cost involved.
Now all I need to do is weigh up if its worth it.

Personally I have no issues driving a lhd Fiat 500. I have no side mirrors and only use the rear view mirror.
The only problem I have is when trying to overtake vehicles and I cant see around them to see if anything is coming. But that's not often. Mainly when someone is parked in the road.

Still interested in if anyone has any components or ideas rather than their views of if I should or not.
"Just saying...."

Still interested in if anyone has any components or ideas rather than their views of if I should or not.
"Just saying...."

Well I ventured into a shed.....

believe it or not the guy I got the RHD one off had two, and would not let me have the other, I believe it went in a skip!
tiz a later one but I also have a later steering column...

I
here you can see the problem with the brake pedal... a new one would be easy to fabricate if you have access to cnc or lazer cutting or plain old grinder, note the pedal is cast so you can't easily remove and reposition, so fabrication would be easier... in addition the position of the pushrod which allows it to enter centrally through the casting

Ohh RHD throttle pedal... you can see the comparison with LHD, simple construction just running through a tube that passes under the floor mats.. just disassemble the LHD one and obtain a couple of bits of rod/tube note the attachment tabs are above/below the tube to keep it flat on the floor....

with these bits a conversion is much simpler, but going to such trouble I would go steering rack conversion...
More on that later.... but RHD 126 racks are or were costing over £300 new from a dealer a while back...

Last edited:
Sean;
I apologise if it sounded as if I was being condescending---it hadn't twigged in my ancient brain that it was you, possibly one of the best 're-builders' on the Forum. The reason that I used capitol letters for "who are you going to get to do the work" (unaware, as above, that it is you) is that whilst I was having my car rebuilt I saw some of the work that came into that workshop to have "fully restored" work rectified properly--or to put more accurately, done in a manner that was now safe. Some of the 'restored' work I saw the lads rectifying just beggared belief.
The part that I have is a RHD "accelerator-pedal shaft"---my spare pedal-box is LHD, which when I received it taught me what the differences were. But if you want it to 'play around with' is yours for the asking.
I have 2 contacts who might be able to help you with a RHD 126 steering rack ---contact me direct if you want their details.
Again, my apologies if my comments sounded like a lecture---that was not my intention.

Sean;
I apologise if it sounded as if I was being condescending---it hadn't twigged in my ancient brain that it was you, possibly one of the best 're-builders' on the Forum. The reason that I used capitol letters for "who are you going to get to do the work" (unaware, as above, that it is you) is that whilst I was having my car rebuilt I saw some of the work that came into that workshop to have "fully restored" work rectified properly--or to put more accurately, done in a manner that was now safe. Some of the 'restored' work I saw the lads rectifying just beggared belief.
The part that I have is a RHD "accelerator-pedal shaft"---my spare pedal-box is LHD, which when I received it taught me what the differences were. But if you want it to 'play around with' is yours for the asking.
I have 2 contacts who might be able to help you with a RHD 126 steering rack ---contact me direct if you want their details.
Again, my apologies if my comments sounded like a lecture---that was not my intention.
Thanks Tom,
I also have the odd Blonde moment when replying to a thread, especially if I do it on my phone. The eye sight is not what it was and I am still resisting wearing glasses, which probably doesn't help, and I often miss who wrote what...
I totally agree with you about being aware who works on your vehicle. Having been in the bodyshop trade & Insurance assessor for so many years you get to see some real horror stories carried out by "professionals".
Thanks again for the offer or which I may take you up on.
Just weighing the whole thing up at the moment.

I have a complete RHD steering box and all the rest of the parts, having said that the box needs a recn .(not cheap and a long turnaround ). Which is why I converted my RHD 500 L to a rack.I did post how I did this on here some time ago. Good luck not to easy.

Hi Sean I have the complete RHD steering box and all likages that came off my RHD 500 L the box has play in it and the bits required to refurb this are Very difficult to source. Doing the rack conversion is not for the faint hearted.
I live in Blackpool.Just ask for advice . Bryan

Sorry for late reply I dont log on everyday.

The parts are original Fiat The rear lights are identical its the front lights are the ones that will need changing.

Mark Jayes at "Motobambino" can organise RHD steering-box overhaul---I think he charges £156 (+ VAT) and requires the old 'box in exchange

Yes I think I contacted him and I think the turn around could be quite long (.Please dont shot me if I am wrong). I managed to convert to rack for about £230 _£250. The dearest bit was the brackets ,I looked at making my own but thinking of the dangers I bought a pair.

just sorting through some stuff.....
and look what I found....

wow just the job a RHD Steering Idler..
Now who was it thinking of converting to RHD... and this is a Prototipi one too...

Last edited:
Back