Technical Fiat 500D disc brake conversion, with Discs touching pads

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500D disc brake conversion, with Discs touching pads

Hi Graham,
I just wanted to check if 3.2mm diameter split pins and shims sorted the problem? Mine has anti rattle springs fitted as well and the noise is only from the front ( sounds like the front right wheel) . I might try your solution. Thanks
The rattle was gone after I had worked on the brakes but I'm not sure what was the root cause of the rattle. The pins fitted were much too small and allowed the pads to move back and forth, the anti rattle springs needed to be bent slightly to touch the pads, and shims were used to centralise the calliper over the disc. I would say the loose anti rattle springs were the main problem but the pins and shims were easy to fit so I would recommend doing all three things.

The rattle was gone after I had worked on the brakes but I'm not sure what was the root cause of the rattle. The pins fitted were much too small and allowed the pads to move back and forth, the anti rattle springs needed to be bent slightly to touch the pads, and shims were used to centralise the calliper over the disc. I would say the loose anti rattle springs were the main problem but the pins and shims were easy to fit so I would recommend doing all three things.
Thanks Graham .Does your disc brake kit, look like mine? I will get the anti- rattle springs regardless( apparently they are from a Mercedes W126) but I shall get a mechanic to do exactly what you have done first and see.

View attachment 443004

Thanks Graham .Does your disc brake kit, look like mine? I will get the anti- rattle springs regardless( apparently they are from a Mercedes W126) but I shall get a mechanic to do exactly what you have done first and see.
The disc brakes on my 500R came from Auto-Bella and are not the same as yours; they should all work in a similar manner though. Attached is picture of my disc setup.
Disc-Brakes---1.jpg

The disc brakes on my 500R came from Auto-Bella and are not the same as yours; they should all work in a similar manner though. Attached is picture of my disc setup.View attachment 443015
Hi Graham ,sorry to be a bother but could you confirm the split pins you bought were 3.2mm x 32mm? Also are they any specific material shims that you purchased. Thanks

Hi Graham ,sorry to be a bother but could you confirm the split pins you bought were 3.2mm x 32mm? Also are they any specific material shims that you purchased. Thanks
Your callipers are not the same as mine so the parts that may be needed will be different. The pins on my callipers are 50mm long. They were 2.8mm diameter in a 3.5mm hole so I fitted 3.2 x 50 pins (i.e. 1/8" pins). The shims are just very thin steel washers bought from Ebay; mine are 12mm to suit the screws and I bought a selection of thicknesses, 0.1mm and 0.25mm if I remember correctly. Your callipers are different so may need different pins and shims or none at all, sorry I can't be more help.

Your callipers are not the same as mine so the parts that may be needed will be different. The pins on my callipers are 50mm long. They were 2.8mm diameter in a 3.5mm hole so I fitted 3.2 x 50 pins (i.e. 1/8" pins). The shims are just very thin steel washers bought from Ebay; mine are 12mm to suit the screws and I bought a selection of thicknesses, 0.1mm and 0.25mm if I remember correctly. Your callipers are different so may need different pins and shims or none at all, sorry I can't be more help.
Thank you. I will start off with just sorting out the anti rattle clips. There are inexpensive, so will see if sorting that would address it.

Back