Technical remove eps on sei sporting?

Currently reading:
Technical remove eps on sei sporting?

richcr

Hi all,

I recently acquired a cheap sei sporting as a little project. There are a few bits I need to sort out and a few I've already done (more on that later) but my question right now is..

I have EPS fitted and it sometimes goes stiff/notchy when turning right. I've already read a number of threads about cleaning earth points, checking battery and alternator etc.

But something I can't find a definitive answer to is; can I remove the EPS entirely by fitting a mechanical steering column? I realise this will make the steering heavier, but I'm not a girl so I don't think this will really bother me. Is it a straightforward swap?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks fingers. I hadn't considered changing the top mounts. Presumably top mounts for a non-pas sei would also work/help too? Again, I assume it's a straight swap?

i cured this on one of these with a replacement ecu on the power steering side
i think you would need to replace steering rack to get it as a non powered setup as the rack will be different i guess ie more turns lock to lock = less load
the uj on downshaft to rack might be different too

Differences are:

rack -- PS one is a little quicker
column -- obviously, no motor
castor -- different top mounts.

It may be possible to remove the motor (you'd expect a little drag from it) which may be easier than the ignition switch swap. Late Cinq (rugby ball steering wheel) and Sei non PAS columns are identical.

With the Cinq top mounts, it's little different from a proper Cento. ;)

Back