General Remaped Multijet Blown Up

Currently reading:
General Remaped Multijet Blown Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
This does not change the fact that Fiat warrant a vehicle that THEY design and specify. To tamper with that vehicle, and expect Fiat to continue to warrant it, is downright foolish. To then, when things go wrong, try to deceive the manufacturer and put in what in effect is a fraudulent warranty claim is highly questionable.

It seems alot of people on this forum expect more from Fiat but do not feel that they need to abide by the rules they expect Fiat to play by. They slag dealers off, complain about the quality of the product, complain about sales staff and parts availability, yet think it is ok to gain from deception. I wonder how many of these people would try to defraud an insurance company for £5000?

Mmm if someone was trying to sell remaps, what better customer to show how good the remaps were than a dealer? Fact or fiction I dont know, what I do know is occasionally technical have used tuners to detune engines at certain revs to cure problems.

:bang: I seriously looked at remapping when I first got my jtd, BUT what I decided was engine longevity was more important than outright power. If someone decides to have a remap they need to be aware of the pros and cons and possible costs.

:bang: I seriously looked at remapping when I first got my jtd, BUT what I decided was engine longevity was more important than outright power. If someone decides to have a remap they need to be aware of the pros and cons and possible costs.

I agree. You want more power? You buy a different car.

Having taken 10 mins or so to read the posts in this thread i have realised a few things.

The majority of people blaming it on a dodgy turbo have thier cars remapped so, it would seem, are avoiding the fact that the remap could and probably has caused the turbo to prematurely fail.

People without a remap dont instantly blame a dodgy turbo.

And, this is yet another reason I wont be remapping my car.

If Red Dot/Angel tuning etc can put a remap on/alter dates etc what makes you think any dealer cant easily detect a map. You get a remap and should expect to pay the price. Why would Fiat or any other manufacturer un-necessarily over spec components, this would result in the cars being more expensive or the manufacturer making less profits.

As for not thrashing a car, whats the point in mapping?!? I regularily give my Sporting some stick, thats why i brought a sporting. I know that its safe within its limits when i do. Plus, if something should go wrong i know it will be covered by the warranty that is still in tact!!

Garrett are also one of the largest and most respected turbo manufacturers in the world, but manufacturing defects will always occur.

Lastly, i really do feel for you mate, thats a large sum of money for the repairs. And as for people saying its expensive, dont forget thats for a new engine, turbo, inlet manifold, prob exhaust manifold, old engine out, new engine in, ancillaries etc connected. Its not going to be cheap!!

Most of the above has been said before so sorry!

I've just read this thread and I'm surprised that it's come to this abrupt end!? I very much hope we get to hear the conclusion of this risk vs warranty saga.

Not wishing to sound cynical, but when I read the opening post I immediately sensed a slightly fraudulent air about it, something didn't seem right and I thought that the initiator was getting a kick out of worrying members that have had their cars tuned. The devil makes work for idle thumbs kind of thing.

BUT with the fact that Angel Tuning was mentioned I realised that this probably is indeed a genuine disaster. Why? because no one in their right mind would post a thread like this mentioning a company/organisation in this manner without considering the consequences. Deformation of character (a serious offence!) is rife in internet law all over the world.

Well, I don't know about anyone else but it makes me want to get my car set back to standard.:(

better drive-ability and better mpg are why a lot get a remap

don't they :confused:

Drive-ability - thats another way of saying the improved performance. No one gets a remap for better mpg, its a secondary bonus (and irrelevant when using the new power increases to full effect).

I have driven cars that have been mapped (before and after) and now how people have driven afterwards, 9 times out of 10 the person drives the car harder.

Deformation of character (a serious offence!) is rife in internet law all over the world.

Well, I don't know about anyone else but it makes me want to get my car set back to standard.:(

Think you mean defamation Pezz...

I agree about removing the map...beginning to wonder exactly how it will affect the longevity of my turbo and other components...and that's not just because it an Angel remap. :confused:

I still do not get how a couple of guys in a garage can map a car better than the manufacturer, its just seem ridiculous really...

and maybe I don't get it, but i really find it amazing the gains that can be had without changing any engine components, where as in the in pre ECU days you would have to resorted to boring out, head skimming, faster cams, lightening and balancing , 4 into 1 manifolds, rejetting carbs etc. All physical, expensive and time consuming, but logical.
Now we have the magic pill that is remapping. For a couple of hundred quid you can get BHP++, get a smoother delivery, and maintain the economy. As nothing physical is being altered, am I right in assuming that the only things being changed are air/fuel mixture and ignition timing? What's the downside. Is it emissions, because there surely has to be one otherwise manufacturers who I take it know a thing or two about engine mapping would have a simple method of offering you another version of the same car.

Think you mean defamation Pezz...

I agree about removing the map...beginning to wonder exactly how it will affect the longevity of my turbo and other components...and that's not just because it an Angel remap. :confused:

Ahh yeah of course 'defamation'....been a long day(y)

Certainly not because it's an Angel map. Red Dot, Celtic I'm not convinced there's much difference between them.

I've really enjoyed the difference that my map has made to the performance and I can't help wondering what it would be like if it were set to standard. Would it be annoying/frustrating etc? One thing I wouldn't miss is the constant worry with reliability and dealer service attitude. Some good old fashioned peace of mind may well be worth having it removed.

PEZZ, I had mine set back to standard a few weeks back. This was originally done because I was planning to sell the car but it now looks like I'm going to be keeping hold of it for a few more months at least.

It is all of your above post, annoying/frustrating knowing that the car used to be capable of so much more. Overtaking has definately gone back to a much more thought out plan rather than a downshift and go manouver.

However I do feel so much more comfortable and safer each time I jump in the car and when booking it into the dealers for this, that or t'other.

Also there is significantely less smoke on full chat.

I do miss the remap and I dont at the same time :confused:

there are many reasons a manufacturer dont already map a car for more power

1 that seems to be over looked is they restrict some so that people don't go for the lower spec car over a higher spec one ;)

Another fact is most of the Fiats get less power than the Alfas with the same setup by just downgrading the map.

Another fact is most of the Fiats get less power than the Alfas with the same setup by just downgrading the map.

I think the highest tune of the 8v Multijet is 130 bhp within the Fiat group. Alfas use the 8v but anything tuned above 130 gets a 16v unit with different turbo/clutch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back