Currently reading:
General Remaped Multijet Blown Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

rptbu

The Story of the car

Owned form new

After 18K miles remapped by Angel Tunning

Less than 6K miles later turbo blows up taking the engine block and exhaust system with it.

Car gets taken by AA to Dealers who advise that a new engine is required. During the investigation discover the remap :cry:

This has been the most stressful month of my life, for the sake of a few more BHP I now face the choice of a punto with no engine or a £6K bill to repair.

I still have 3 years left on my finance.

All I can say is DO NOT GET A REMAP, if you want a faster car then buy a faster car.

I am not saying that the remap caused the turbo failure, however IMO it did, but for the sake of 40bhp it is not worth being £6K out of pocket when it goes wrong.

I will answer any questions you have, however I am deliberatly being vaugue as to my true identiy for a reason I am not prepared to state.

i don't want to sound cheeky & certainly not personal, so don't take this directed at you ........but in these cases you pays your money & takes your chance... bummer though:bang:......oh & hello to your first post

Last edited:
Quite worrying actually. Got me thinking, ive got mine remapped, but if ANYTHING goes wrong with my engine i will be getting my tuning company to remove the remap before i go near fiat, so they cant blame that and leave no trace of the remap :).

What you going to do?

Last edited:
Quite worrying actually. Got me thinking, ive got mine remapped, but if ANYTHING goes wrong with my engine i will be getting my tuning company to remove the remap before i go near fiat, so they cant blame that and leave no trace of the remap :).

What you going to do?

T will know better but I'm sure one of the things the diag machine does is let you know the last time the ecu was modified. So even if the map has been removed it will show it has been changed in the last few days.

The Story of the car

Owned form new

Less than 6K miles later turbo blows up taking the engine block and exhaust system with it.

Car gets taken by AA to Dealers who advise that a new engine is required. During the investigation discover the remap :cry:

This has been the most stressful month of my life, for the sake of a few more BHP I now face the choice of a punto with no engine or a £6K bill to repair.

All I can say is DO NOT GET A REMAP, if you want a faster car then buy a faster car.

I am not saying that the remap caused the turbo failure, however IMO it did, but for the sake of 40bhp it is not worth being £6K out of pocket when it goes wrong.

I will answer any questions you have, however I am deliberatly being vaugue as to my true identiy for a reason I am not prepared to state.

Feel 4 u mate but a couple of questions if u dont mind?

Did u service it on schedule or early / late?

What was ur driving style? Did u wait until the car was fully warmed before caning it and did u do the warm down before switching off?

Sig will explain the questions...

The Story of the car

Owned form new

seems you are not upto date on recent info. there is a whole batch of dodgy garret turbos fitted to a whole list of cars inc the GP. these turbos will fail prematurely whether your car is mapped or not. other car manufactures have recalled all their cars that have a turbo from this batch, but it seems fiat are just fixing them as they break

not that i know of, cant see how fiat can blame the map either as the turbos are a known fault

A turbo failure can cause engine damage, especially if it explodes (rather than implodes) Bits of debris will go into the intake with it :( Also a turbo fail could block off the air intake.

Although in most cases (apart from these Garrett faults) its the engine that kills the turbo, through lack of oil or similar. A map could cause the turbo to break down, if you are spinning it beyond its upper limits, it can become dangerous.

sorry i am a bit of a noob arent angel tune ****? and can you not just reset the ecu say as soon as car stops with spanner?

and think fiat should do the responsible thing and recall the dodgy batch!

didnt mean an actual spaner, just thought there was a bodge way to reset an ecu that would revert to standard map, think its a bit harsh fiat are trying to make money from the dodgy turbos if dealers are trying to charge for a rebuild hoping the owner doesnt know about the turbos

irrelevant of the mapper, quite a few GPS are blowing turbos unfortunetly. Though ive only heard of one that wasnt remapped and didnt that have a foreign object get stuck in the turbo! Well it was something like that...

with a remap you take you choices, i really want a map but im just not sure its worth it! I appreciate it wouldnt matter if the car was mapped or not if it has a dodgy turbo but then at least it will get replaced if it goes under investigation by the garage and i would hope as good will guesture that it would be replaced once out of warrenty as its a known thing albeit the car has a dealership service history - i can just about bare the prices of dealership services for piece of mind :(

all the best mate, i wouldnt wish it on anyone! for £6K you could buy another GPS and break yours and sell it for parts if you unfortunetly get left to pay the costs! Or check breakers for written off GPS were you can get the parts you need would be much cheaper and you could pay an independant garage to fit it again much, much cheaper... Let us know how you get on, i would try and point out to them that the turbo failure is common but youve obviously gota be carefull in your situation

think its a bit harsh fiat are trying to make money from the dodgy turbos if dealers are trying to charge for a rebuild hoping the owner doesnt know about the turbos

1) Never heard about these 'dodgy turbos'
2) Thats what warranty is for.
3) No car is perfect as all cars have inherent faults..if they didn't & were all perfect there would be no car forums:(

As for mapping...its 100% the owners choice.

i think you are getting mixed up between the learning side of ecu and map side, you can reset the learning bit by disconecting the battery for a while, but the map stays the same.
What do you mean ECU learning? :yum:

Feel 4 u mate but a couple of questions if u dont mind?

Did u service it on schedule or early / late?

What was ur driving style? Did u wait until the car was fully warmed before caning it and did u do the warm down before switching off?

Sig will explain the questions...

I notice there is no reply to my Post (above) I reckon some people are really hard on their re-mapped cars and in some way contribute to failure.

Convince me otherwise.... (pops out to check turbo....) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back