Reckon these sidelights are illegal?

Currently reading:
Reckon these sidelights are illegal?

Hi all,

I ordered a headlights + sidelights bulb kit from ebay which were meant to be road legal. However the sidelights look too blue for my liking..

I've taken them out for now since I don't wanna get pulled over and have to get the car towed home. But I was just curious of what you lot thought.

The picture is the new one on the left, and the standard one on the right, just for comparison.

Looks too blue to me. Are the bulbs E marked?

if the bulbs are E-Marked then you are fine approved for road use. They do seam to be very blue. I had blue sidelights in drove past numerous police cars fine and then one day i got the 24day notice to remove them (n)

You got a link to the page you bought them?

Last edited:
Had some blue side bulbs on my old mk1. The blue mind was just a tint that burned off (they never shown blue when on.), I discovered this when one blew. Replaced both with legals that were significantly brighter.

Looks at the auction page the H4s might pass as being legal but the sidelights are definatly way too blue. The E marking means the bulb complies with European regulations and should be physically marked on the bulb itself. I'd suggest Philips Blue Vision sidelights - nice white light (blue filter) which are really bright on their own (major improvement over the standard bulbs) and yet are E marked so completely legal if you bump into a copper or come MOT time ;)

Heads and sides are 'obligatory' lamps and AFAIK, these must be the correct colour - ie white or yellow.
Every now and then plod round here seem to go on the offensive - I guess it's when their coffers are getting low & they need to increase some percentage or other - and you tend to see all the chavs on the side of the road crying over their blue lights or black stockings on the rear cluster or aftermarket HIDs chucking their glare all over the road.

I don't think the E mark neccessarily implies road legal, pretty sure you could get E marked 100W bulbs, which are only legal offroad, but up to certain standards....
Indeed. The E marking would prevent a bulb rated at 65W emitting light at a power of 100W though.

More on "E" markings:

The main checks performed to assess E-mark applicability for bulbs include:
• Dimensional checks ensure a tolerant lamps beam pattern
• Electrical checks certify that the power of the lamp does not exceed the rated value
• The brightness of the bulb, rated in Lumens, is appraised by photometry inspection
• Colour temperature tests check that the colour of the light emitted from the bulb is predominantly white.
http://mustangsva.co.uk/2009/04/02/about-e-marks-on-lights/

The only lights to show to the front are white or yellow, they are way to blue to be legal.

The only lights to show to the front are white or yellow, they are way to blue to be legal.

I used to think that was the case but seemingly, blue LEDs are allowed as long as the do not move/flicker - thus giving the impression of a police car.
However, because these (in the OP) are placed into the sides then they are considered illegal because the obligatory lights are supposed to be white.
You can get away with a tinge as many high power lamps have said tinge to them.
It really is a pity that the law isn't tightened to ensure everyone knows where they stand.
I believe it should be black and white - only lights allowed in/out or under are as provided (- which would also allow for white LED DRLs) by the manufacturer.
That is...
Static white to the front (and rear only for reversing - which must activate via reverse gear).
Flashing yellow to front, sides and rear - only to indicate intention to turn
Static red to rear to indicate braking and travelling in inclement weather - that is, visibility must be less than 100 metres.

Both front and rear fog lights should only be able to be activated alongside dipped beam only and with an accompanying light on the dashboard.
Fog lights only to be used in inclement weather - heavy rain, thick snow or fog etc and only when visibility is below 100 metres or the distance between x lampposts.

All lamps must be replaced on a like-for-like basis - in other words, if it came with tungstens, you fit tungstens - unless the lighting assembly is correctly uprated.
If this was the law and incorporated into the highway code - and made part of the written test then every driver who passed said test would have read the section and answered a question on it - so no excuse.

The only exceptions are vehicles designated as emergency vehicles - and these must be registered as such.
Recovery and works vehicles such as road repair would be allowed amber beacons due to their specific registration, as would a green beacon on a doctor's car.

Back