reasons for not buying supermarket fuel

Currently reading:
reasons for not buying supermarket fuel

Morrisons (or some of them anyway) have stopped selling unleaded today and Tesco has drained all its supplies to be on the safe side (y)

my friend ( who will remain namless) Works in a Tescos petrol station has had lots of people asking if their fuel is ok and he has been told to say it is fine. even though there has been complaints from customers about problems at that station! BEWARE!

my friend ( who will remain namless) Works in a Tescos petrol station has had lots of people asking if their fuel is ok and he has been told to say it is fine. even though there has been complaints from customers about problems at that station! BEWARE!

Considering the tanks have been drained and refilled with uncontaminated supplies why would he be told to say anything else? Also, it would appear that the contaminated supply was on deliveries 7-10 days ago. Given that the average filling station has 2-4 deliveries a week the contamination would become more diluted with each delivery anyway but as a precaution all Tesco tanks were drained and refilled with "clean" supplies late last week.

Considering the tanks have been drained and refilled with uncontaminated supplies why would he be told to say anything else? .

Because they haven't been drained. he has worked there for & years and they have never been cleaned

My point is you don't clean storage tanks, you have a filter on the inlet and on the outlet, you make it from safe materials and you assume that the supplier will provide you with 'safe' fuel, without silly things like silicon compounds. If you get water in you bleed it off I imagine. The tanks are practically sealed units.

Because they haven't been drained. he has worked there for & years and they have never been cleaned

Any fuel tank that has contamination has to be drained. I know because I used to take the calls when the interstitial space alarms would go off and arrange for the vendors (usually Wayne Dresser or similar) to go out and drain the tanks. Also, my housemate one of the many people who has been aiding the scheduling of the tank draining and logistics and taking calls from the stores to ensure their fuel systems are reconciled correctly due to the draining and refilling of the tanks not being a normal everyday procedure.

As for him working there for years and being aware enough to really know what's been going on ask him what his first check would be if he had a code 10? I bet he gets it wrong. ;)

Because they haven't been drained.

i doubt the tanks are drained or cleaned during normal use, common sense tells you they wont be. but contaminated tanks definately have been drained. i greatly doubt any business could be stupid enough to continue selling contaminated fuel, and then lie about draining the tanks as well. a business like tesco isnt going to lie about draining the contaminated tanks, they cant afford to take risks like that. imo they didnt need to drain anything since all the contaminated fuel would have been sold well before this problem was identifed, so any fuel they did drain will be usable and at best could only contain tiny amounts of silicone, certainly nothing harmful by the time the tanks were drained.

even if they weren't drained, and this Tesco employee in question has been told to say it is fine, it is fine so whats the problem? Tesco wont instruct thier employees to say the fuel is safe to use unless it really is safe. if you doubt that then you're either american or suffering from extreme paranoia.

Spoke to my dealership today - they have had 45 cars in so far, for lambda issues due to the fuel, at a cost of around £350 per car. BUT the local Vauxhall dealership up the road has had 60 in, and they charge £450 :chin:

Every little helps :eek:

why so much?! you can replace a lambda for £65. sounds a bit fishy to me, are they replacing the whole engine at tesco's expense?

Any fuel tank that has contamination has to be drained. I know because I used to take the calls when the interstitial space alarms would go off and arrange for the vendors (usually Wayne Dresser or similar) to go out and drain the tanks. Also, my housemate one of the many people who has been aiding the scheduling of the tank draining and logistics and taking calls from the stores to ensure their fuel systems are reconciled correctly due to the draining and refilling of the tanks not being a normal everyday procedure.

As for him working there for years and being aware enough to really know what's been going on ask him what his first check would be if he had a code 10? I bet he gets it wrong. ;)

What does interstitial mean in this case?

What does interstitial mean in this case?

All fuel tanks have 2 skins - inner and outer. The space between them is called the "interstitial space". This space has sensors that detect even the smallest traces of fuel fumes which could indicate a failure of the inner skin.

Back