Technical Radiator fan motor banjoed?

Currently reading:
Technical Radiator fan motor banjoed?

GloryBoy

Hi, driving my 2002 1,2 Mk2 yesterday on motorway, started to make a horrible noise - thought it was a wheel bearing at first but only intermittent. Stopped at services, traced noise to the fan. It was dark so couldn't see properly, but checked the blades for damage (with engine off obviously!) and couldn't find any. Drove it home ok, but it was decidely chilly by this point so guess the cold air kept the engine cold. Three questions:

was the noise the sound of the motor burning out up - and if so, would it have anything to do with the new 'winter-ready' battery I fitted the day before?

is there a bearing that may be wearing or in need of greasing?

could it be damage to the blades caused by some crud coming through rad or t'tother way from engine?

Just checked shop4parts and rad fan motor / cowling is £65 - is this easy to fit for a very amateur DIY?

Many thanks,
Tim

Need a new fan. Mine did this a while back and what a shame :p I just sold a fan for £10 yesterday!

Very very easy to fit though. Unplug connector, few 8mm bolts and out. Bolt new one on and connector in (y)

Cheers for that mate - will order one from s4p at lunch. Just for peace of mind, reassure me there is no connection between the new battery (Halfrauds HB202) and the sudden demise of the fan...

Back