General Punto Twinair MPG

Currently reading:
General Punto Twinair MPG

Hi,
I hear they are still "tight" engines at that mileage.. considering doing the old trick of mineral oil for the 1st 500 miles to let it bed-in,
Charlie
Doesn't really answer the question mate. How do you start a new thread on here??

I see you've sussed how to start the new thread,
LOTS of people are commenting on how tight the engines are past 6,000 miles,

just wondered how many RPM your indicated 68mph is in your vehicle ?,

also out of interest.. how accurate is the onboard computer against your own calculations?,
Thanks,
Charlie

I have heard time and time again that the twin air does not live up to its fuel economy claims regardless of how many miles it has under its belt

I also have a inkling that in the future the technology risks being a money pit i still believe the best fiat engine for the money is the 1.3 multijet.

Last edited:
I have heard time and time again that the twin air does not live up to its fuel economy claims regardless of how many miles it has under its belt

I also have a inkling that in the future the technology risks being a money pit i still believe the best fiat engine for the money is the 1.3 multijet.

It's been sitting at just under 3000 at 65mph and just over. The salesman stated that it would match the multi jet and work out cheaper as unleaded cost less than diesel!! Wish I could have seen his face when the Eco USB figures were shown to him. Thought it was too good to be true. Well and truly stitched up.
It's a shame Fiat still think it's the best engine since sliced bread!!

Trying sitting at 50 mph and see how much of a difference that makes... sitting at 70mph on the motorway isn't going to give you great mpg. I sit at 50-60 in my sporting and I get about 35-38 mpg.

It's mainly short journeys and rush hour traffic along one of glasgows busiest roads, that and just short journeys here and there, I don't do long journeys so that will be why :)

Oh well, that would explain it then. I assume you got the sporting cause you wanted one then?

Off Topic: out of curiosity, would you be interested in fiat-scotland? PM for info.

Well I had a punto evo Gp, 1.4 8v, used to get around 40-44 mpg with that so yeah, I just felt like an upgrade, something a bit more gutsy, the consumption isn't a problem, would still say it's fairly good for the fun I get out of it ;)

Yeah, I have a pal who has a GBT as well, I'm sure he would be interested as well.

Well I had a punto evo Gp, 1.4 8v, used to get around 40-44 mpg with that so yeah, I just felt like an upgrade, something a bit more gutsy, the consumption isn't a problem, would still say it's fairly good for the fun I get out of it ;)

Yeah, I have a pal who has a GBT as well, I'm sure he would be interested as well.

Thats not too bad I suppose, My astra 1.6 done that daily somehow or I worked it out wrong.

And hurry up and join then need some new members :)

We only get mid-high 40s to the gallon out of the Parents 500 TwinAir, so low 40's in what is a bigger, heavier car sounds about right comparitively speaking, even though i can totally see why someone would be disappointed.

Our 500 is on 9500 miles now & i must admit Eco mode now behaves how normal mode did at new - it's definately loosened up over the last 2000 miles or so, and the mpg has increased a little, so you should see a slight increase, especially helped by the extra gear in the Punto TwinAir (the 500 is only 5 speed).

I think the biggest problem here is the misleading info from the salesman. I told my Parents even before the looked at the 500 that the TwinAir would be much more fun than the other engines, but not for one second to believe they could regularly achieve the claimed 67 mpg. Ours has shown close to that on occasion, but that was 45-50 mph on a flat bit of road in perfect weather conditions. Fiat can claim it because it is achieveable, but if you want to achieve close to the claimed mpg without really trying, you needed the 1.3 Multijet. I know that, and as a salesman for Fiat, the salesman should've known that too.

Hi Liam,
I have to agree with all you've said there,
but I'm just too wary of all the little niggles the modern 1.3's seem to suffer - and for my relatively short local commute I'm not going to see any great fuel savings from a diesel -especially if I need to do an extra 30 miles every saturday to clean the DPF+ EGR
Charlie - Didcot

Hi Charlie

I'd agree that if you're mileage is low then it's not worth you buying a diesel on financial grounds. I'd probably get one on the basis that most of my miles are on motorways where the diesel is likely to return a more acceptable mpg than the TwinAir, but I have to say the Parents TwinAir 500 has been more than capable on the trips from Oxford to London on the M40 that I've taken it on. Its mpg does drop off a fair bit at motorway speeds compared to what i'm used to (Stilo JTD), but the engine seems pretty relaxed & it never seems to struggle to keep up with bigger cars. With my annual mileage (10-12,000 miles) i'd not really justify a diesel on cost grounds either, but generally I prefer driving them, which would (along with my most regular driving type being Motorway) probably sway me towards one.

I do have a bit of a niggling feeling about modern diesels with the DPFs etc, but the 1.3 Fiat unit is widely used & doesn't appear to cause massive headaches unless it only potters around in town. Personally with my type of driving (90% motorway) i'd be very unlucky if the DPF clogged but I appreciate that the new things fitted to recent diesels does rule them out for a few people over the older diesels.

Good to see another fellow Oxfordshire resident, too! (y)

I know the thread is about TA consumption, but thought I would share our recent trip to South Wales from Devon.

Our car is a 2012 1.4 8v Easy; we did a round trip of 370 miles (mainly with a full load) and doing most of the miles on the M4 and finished up with an indicated 48.3 mpg over the few days.

I was very pleased with that; the only thing that is slightly annoying on the motorway is the ridiculously short 5th gear. However, the upside is that 5th can be maintained for large parts of journeys provided you are doing more than 25-30mph, so I guess that helps.

OK after a bit of reading here and on the Panda place I don't feel so bad about the lower than expected MPG from the other half's recent acquisition (a 2012 TA Punto).

With 60,000 miles on the clock I'm not sure the engine has loosened up enough to get 60+ mpg... maybe at 70K :chin:?

What a fun car to drive :) even as stock and fine for what the Mrs wants (I hope) making lots of short trips.

If only they'd put the 875cc badge on the back (y)

OK after a bit of reading here and on the Panda place I don't feel so bad about the lower mpg

What a fun car to drive :) even as stock and fine for what the Mrs wants (I hope) making lots of short trips.

If only they'd put the 875cc badge on the back (y)

Get on of those 'twin turbo' window stickers...

Is your 6 speed..??

Mine does 50 mpg..

15k is about right for breakin..
Watch oil levels for a while too..

Charlie

Back