Technical Punto mk2 not starting after engine overhaul

Currently reading:
Technical Punto mk2 not starting after engine overhaul

noeltich1

Hello good people .I have my mk2 that is giving me sleepless nights.i did an engine overhaul and soon after the car does not want to start.if u put the key on Its not initializing the systems like your throttle etc.and also the immo light is staying on.i have sent the keys and the ecu and the bcm for testing and they say they are fine.am at my wits end here.can some 1 point me to something I might be missing out on my diagnosis .appreciate all the help

Hello good people .I have my mk2 that is giving me sleepless nights.i did an engine overhaul and soon after the car does not want to start.if u put the key on Its not initializing the systems like your throttle etc.and also the immo light is staying on.i have sent the keys and the ecu and the bcm for testing and they say they are fine.am at my wits end here.can some 1 point me to something I might be missing out on my diagnosis .appreciate all the help
what do you mean soon after the engine overhaul? are you saying it was working after the work and then it stopped??

You need to read the obd2 codes. Either with a scanner of you can do it with the right cable and multiecuscan downloadable buyable software which was built originally for fiats as fiatecuscan. The multiecuscan software page will tell you what cables you need to buy

what do you mean soon after the engine overhaul? are you saying it was working after the work and then it stopped??

You need to read the obd2 codes. Either with a scanner of you can do it with the right cable and multiecuscan downloadable buyable software which was built originally for fiats as fiatecuscan. The multiecuscan software page will tell you what cables you need to buy
The car is not connecting with a scanner.i cannot read any codes.even took it to a dealer and they also failed to diagnose it

So.. Back to basics

What Does work.?

Lights with ignition OFF..

IGNITION ON.. Does Fuel Pump run??

Interior light.. Interior fan?
Lights are working .both interior and exterior ones.no throttle actuation on key on.the security light stays on.have sent the key fob and the ecu for testing and they say they are fine.am at wits end

Lights are working .both interior and exterior ones.no throttle actuation on key on.the security light stays on.have sent the key fob and the ecu for testing and they say they are fine.am at wits end

SEARCH other people's experiences on here...
It is normally a poorly reinstalled wire..

So no sensor connection.. Or a lost Earth

Click on
@Banger535
for a few more things to check

SEARCH "Lydney" On here for an informative thread also 😉

Last edited:
as already said go back to basics. The fuel pump should run for 5 secs when the ignition key is turned on even if the security light remains on.

Does the fuel pump run for 5 seconds?

as already said go back to basics. The fuel pump should run for 5 secs when the ignition key is turned on even if the security light remains on.

Does the fuel pump run for 5 seconds?
It's not running.nothing is activating on key on

If nothing runs with the key in something is stopping the ECU getting power or there is there a problem in the feeds to the key switch or is the ignition switch not getting any power from teh supply - fuse box. Is the fuse box itsself getting power?
Something cannot be connected correctly or you have a short.
Go back and look at every wire you disconnected one by one. Look for anywhere where wires may have been trapped or damaged in re installation, or incorrectly connected Check the main fuse box that all the main fuses are OK and seated correctly. Check the ECU plugs are not damaged and that you have no bent pins. Make sure they plugs are pushed in all the way.

Just a few random thoughts

Back