Styling Punto HGT/Abarth Project

Currently reading:
Styling Punto HGT/Abarth Project

Hi all,

For a while now I've admired some of the Punto HGT's and Abarth's on the forum. I've been especially inspired by eXtreme's HGT and wrightyy's Active Sport. So I decided that I'd have a go at making mine look the same. A project was in order!

Obviously mine isn't a 1.8 16v, but I you never know, I might eventually get round to changing it!

Here's a list of stuff I've already done to make it look more like an Abarth/HGT:
- Abarth boot-lid badge.
- Abarth centre caps.
- Abarth engine stickers.
- Abarth valve caps.
- Abarth 3rd Brake light sticker.

Heres a list of stuff I want to do:
- HGT Badge for boot lid.
- Abarth Alloys.
- (If not above, then get my original Active Sport alloys resprayed either black or anthracite).
- Badgeless grill.
- HGT centre console.
- Abarth/HGT side skirts.
- Leather seats out of an Alfa(Preferably black).
- Black vinyl wrap strip for door pillar.
- Black vinyl wrap for roof.
- Abarth sticker for the steering wheel (somehow).
- CD changer? (from HGT)
- Remote central locking.
- Body Coloured wing mirrors.
- Body coloured door handles.

Anyone have any opinions or ideas that would help?

Rhys

Last edited:
you could satin black or matt black the door rather than use vinyl?
those cd players are old and unreliable now
remote locking easy
why not get hgt seats with leather bolsters? and those yellowy inserts

Mk2b HGTs have a lot of extras not found on the rest of the punto range.

they had specific HGT wheels
colour coded wing mirror door handles and some had colour coded bump strips
inside they had leather sports steering wheel with radio controls,
dual zone climate control
MP3 player head unit with 5 disc CD changer
uprated instrument binnacle with 2 trip computers (A and B) temperature and radio display
better fabrics with a kinda carbon effect to the plastics of the door cards
there were also a lot of little minor things like the A pillars were fabric covered and not just plastic rear head rests etc etc

the problem with just covering a car in Abarth stickers is that more often than not all you will end up with is a punto covered in Abarth stickers which will fool no one and look a bit silly

you need to take a more classy approach and with mk2b 1.8 HGTs finding there way into scrapyards quickly these days it shouldn't be too hard to find a lot of the bits you'll need

however they never made a mk2b 'abarth' so without the hgt bits the best you will hope for is someone who knows thinking its a 1.4 sporting

Thanks for your input.

My hope is to make my car look like a HGT on the outside. I'm not trying to fool anyone, I just want my car to be a bit different from the others I've seen. Its pretty much impossible for me to make a HGT perfect replica out of a Punto that simply isn't. Also I could never afford to, and probably wouldn't want to waste that much on an ageing car. I'm just adding all the bits from the Punto's I like and always have liked growing up.

I am happy with my Abarth badge, but to all intents and purposes, my car is just an ordinary Active Sport. The only other visual mods I'd like to add to my car are the HGT side skirts, HGT badge (which I might not even do), body coloured door handles and mirrors, badgeless grill and maybe tinted windows. I'd just love to make my Punto different from all the rest you know? I'm not trying to impress anyone, or make myself look like I have a better car than I do, but I just want to make a few changes here and there to try and make the best of what I have. :)

Rhys

Last edited:
Here are a few pictures of what I have done to my car so far.

WARNING: a lot of cheap Abarth tat alert!!

Rhys

Abarth badge:
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1407787454.546152.jpg

Abarth centre caps:
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1407787594.969513.jpg

Abarth valve caps:
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1407787635.002480.jpg

Abarth 3rd brake light sticker:
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1407787760.469177.jpg

Abarth engine stickers:
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1407787791.802781.jpg

If you're after a set of 2a HGT Abarth alloys, I might know of a fine young man who might just have a set for sale :)

Finally the part that I've been waiting for has arrived, only 2 weeks after I ordered it! My HGT centre console!

So I wielded my trusty Haynes manual and got cracking! I took out the old console following my Haynes manual. Refitting was a bit of guesswork, the reversal of refitting and the 'suck it and see' approach ;) But after about half an hour, it was in and looking great!

Got a few problems. Firstly I need the coin tray that sits in front of the handbrake. Secondly I need the ash tray insert. The single din slot I have sorted; either a cubby hole or slide out cup holders. I also need to wait for my electronically minded brother to help me make my cigarette lighter wire abit longer to fit it's new location.

Overall though, it looks great and I am chuffed to bits with how it looks.

Have a look at the pictures and let me know what you guys think.

Before:
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1409239949.766866.jpg

After:
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1409239992.423493.jpg
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1409240029.865165.jpg
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1409240062.049314.jpg

What I need:
Coin tray infront of handbrake
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1409240115.342075.jpg
Ash tray insert
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1409240187.812598.jpg

Finally the part that I've been waiting for has arrived, only 2 weeks after I ordered it! My HGT centre console!

So I wielded my trusty Haynes manual and got cracking! I took out the old console following my Haynes manual. Refitting was a bit of guesswork, the reversal of refitting and the 'suck it and see' approach ;) But after about half an hour, it was in and looking great!

Got a few problems. Firstly I need the coin tray that sits in front of the handbrake. Secondly I need the ash tray insert. The single din slot I have sorted; either a cubby hole or slide out cup holders. I also need to wait for my electronically minded brother to help me make my cigarette lighter wire abit longer to fit it's new location.

Overall though, it looks great and I am chuffed to bits with how it looks.

Have a look at the pictures and let me know what you guys think.

Before:
View attachment 142875

After:
View attachment 142876
View attachment 142877
View attachment 142878

What I need:
Coin tray infront of handbrake
View attachment 142879
Ash tray insert
View attachment 142880

The space infront of the handbrake is for the electric mirror controls.

Back