Technical Punto Evo - lots of warnings on instrument panel

Currently reading:
Technical Punto Evo - lots of warnings on instrument panel

keeleyys

I own a 60 plate Punto Evo, and today my instrument panel lit up like Blackpool illuminations with the following warnings:

Yellow warning triangle
Red airbag light
Yellow airbag light
Seatbelt light
Start stop unavailable
ABS unavailable
(Another one that was unavailable beginning with an E but I can’t remember what this was)
Fuel cut off unavailable
Mileage is also flashing.

Took this to a garage and had it plugged in to a diagnostics machine. Every time the faults were cleared, they came back straight away.

I have been told I need a new instrument panel, but I called Fiat today and was quoted £902 just for the panel itself, not even any fitting. The gentleman at the garage checked my airbags etc and said they all look okay.

I was wondering if anyone else has suffered something similar, and found that there was a fix that wasn’t the instrument panel?

(Side note: I haven’t disconnected the battery yet as I am not confident to do so, but it will be done this weekend by someone a bit more competent than myself haha)

Disconnecting the battery on a "healthy" Punto should not cause you any problems, they even remember the radio code - as long as it's not an aftermarket radio unit. So I doubt if you'll do any additional damage by disconnecting the battery and it might just reset something?

Have you checked the battery state of charge? lots of "funny" things can happen with a battery that's just a bit below optimum charge or which maybe has a problem with one of it's cells.

Now I'm taking a jump into the unknown, because I've never done this, but I'm wondering if communication between the dashboard module and the rest of the vehicle has been corrupted in some way and whether this might be reestablished with a "Proxy Alignment" - Although I don't really understand what a proxy alignment actually does so would invite one of our more knowledgeable brethren to enlighten us.

I own a 60 plate Punto Evo, and today my instrument panel lit up like Blackpool illuminations with the following warnings:

Yellow warning triangle
Red airbag light
Yellow airbag light
Seatbelt light
Start stop unavailable
ABS unavailable
(Another one that was unavailable beginning with an E but I can’t remember what this was)
Fuel cut off unavailable
Mileage is also flashing.

Took this to a garage and had it plugged in to a diagnostics machine. Every time the faults were cleared, they came back straight away.

I have been told I need a new instrument panel, but I called Fiat today and was quoted £902 just for the panel itself, not even any fitting. The gentleman at the garage checked my airbags etc and said they all look okay.

I was wondering if anyone else has suffered something similar, and found that there was a fix that wasn’t the instrument panel?

(Side note: I haven’t disconnected the battery yet as I am not confident to do so, but it will be done this weekend by someone a bit more competent than myself haha)

What sort of garage? Was it Fiat dealer?
It could just be a Proxi-Aligment (in simple terms resets the list of computer nodes and their settings). A dashboard issue or a CAN bus fault.
Decent diagnostics like Multiecuscan (MES) www.multiecuacan.net, will allow all the parts of the dashboard to be operated independently of the rest of the car. I'd want confirmation before replacing the instrument cluster
Will the garage guarantee changing the cluster wil fix it? If not more work is needed.
Where are you located? Some forum members will run MES for you. I can if you are near Cambridge.

Robert G8RPI.

Last edited:

Yellow warning triangle
Red airbag light
Yellow airbag light
Seatbelt light
Start stop unavailable
ABS unavailable
Fuel cut off unavailable

Hi

Where are you based?

Plugging in and 'driving' the dashboard lights it a simple 1st step :)

The battery should be VERY simple to disconnect - ask if you want info

Charlie

Back