Technical Punto, 51/2001, Overheating problem

Currently reading:
Technical Punto, 51/2001, Overheating problem

jaxxbizkit

Hiya guys

I was wondering if anyone suffers from or has suffered in the past with overheating on this version of the Punto?

I was visiting London a couple of weeks back and the car overheated. When I opened up the bonnet there was water spraying out. When we got the breakdown guys out (and towed us back to Essex!) they said it was a blocked thermostat.

We took it to a mechanic who "fixed" the thermostat but now two weeks later its all kicking off again. We got caught in a bit of traffic yesterday on the M25 (shocker I know!) :eek: and it overheated again?

The fan doesnt seem to be kicking in either? :bang:

Is this something thats easy to fix as the thought of another mecahnic bill coming in right now is not a great one!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys
Thank you

Gavin

I am sure a search would reveal one or two issues with overheating.

The fan seems to be your problem, if its not coming on the car is going overheat, end of.

A 51 plate car should be ecu controlled, I presume you have checked the fuse.

Then make sure the fan is working and that its earth is not compromised.

Cheers

SPD

I am sure a search would reveal one or two issues with overheating.

The fan seems to be your problem, if its not coming on the car is going overheat, end of.

A 51 plate car should be ecu controlled, I presume you have checked the fuse.

Then make sure the fan is working and that its earth is not compromised.

Cheers

SPD

Sorry to be a pain but Im not great with cars at the moment (penpusher by trade, amateur mechanic by night :D)

I had a quick search this morning about overheating an found a couple of topics relating to mkII puntos.

To be honest I havent checked the fuse yet because I wanted advice from you guys first. Just so im clear whereabouts would I find the fuse to check it?

Sorry I am pretty useless when it comes to fixing cars at the moment. Need more practise and my Punto seems intent on giving me that practise!! :)

Mate,
you need to spend some time doing a search here ~
You are the Millionth owner of a Fiat to have an OverHeating Issue, and these folk doubtless get sick of folk coming on without doing searches at least for a lil while :bang:
As someone who works on car s alot for a long while, i have a headstart, and can tell you that Cooling Systems on all cars are very similar... No it is not a simple fix mate, but you can Easily understand whats at work though, I am tempted to say just spend half an hour searching n you will be in the know....
Rad, Fan, Thermostat, Fanswitch (detects water temp n tells ECU which tells fan2come on), Water Pump, Fuse, Relay, Wiring...
Rads get blocked, fanswitches pack~up as do therms, so does wiring, so do fans... Check fuse (be a big one somewhere prolly about 30 amps) remove plug from radfan and hook up a power and earth to it to see if it spins, does it move freely with hand ? Find out if it still works, check fuse, BLEED System, and DO A SEARCH or three..

Paul

Back