Proof! OAPs are safe drivers

Currently reading:
Proof! OAPs are safe drivers

They arent round here.

Nearly been hit of driven of the road more times by an OAP more than a 'yooth':rolleyes:

They are also incapable of parking, be that between the 2 white lines or agaisnt the kerb, they still manage to park a meter from the kerb, on yellow lines and think its alright to do so.

Nearly been hit of driven of the road more times by an OAP more than a 'yooth':rolleyes:
You have been lucky.

Drivers aged 17 to 20 are ten times more likely to have an accident than a driver aged 30+

Men aged 17 to 20 make up 3% of drivers. They are responsible for 33% of all dangerous driving convictions and about 30% of all convictions for causing death by dangerous driving.

You have been lucky.

Drivers aged 17 to 20 are ten times more likely to have an accident than a driver aged 30+

Men aged 17 to 20 make up 3% of drivers. They are responsible for 33% of all dangerous driving convictions and about 30% of all convictions for causing death by dangerous driving.

that's fine, but how many of them were on provisional insurance? how many of them were legit drivers, with insurance and proper licenses etc? im not denying that young drivers are a risk, and I would expect them to have more crashes to lack of experience, but i don't think it would be that high. also, another point, which has probably been brought up, but just because a young driver crashes doesnt make them dangerous boy racer. many are through lack of experience.

that's fine, but how many of them were on provisional insurance? how many of them were legit drivers, with insurance and proper licenses etc? im not denying that young drivers are a risk, and I would expect them to have more crashes to lack of experience, but i don't think it would be that high. also, another point, which has probably been brought up, but just because a young driver crashes doesnt make them dangerous boy racer. many are through lack of experience.

but still makes them dangerous

You have been lucky.

They arent though, not all of them. The majority yes because most 17-20 year olds are chavs with Corsa and Saxos, and in my town also Fiesta Zetec-s' for some reason, think they are driving gods by driving round town all night in 1st. Im 19 and myself and most of the people my age that I would actually call friends drive sensibly. Sure we like to drive fast on twisty B-roads but only when the situation is right. I dont see the point in overtaking everything in front of you driving like a cock to save a couple of minutes in a journey.

Sure we like to drive fast on twisty B-roads but only when the situation is right.
Every driver leaves home intending to come back alive, uninjured, with no damage to his or her car, no court appearance pending, no new points on their licence and without having killed or injured anybody.

In other words every driver always ensures that the "situation is right". Sadly about 3000 people are killed every year and lots of people do damage their cars and get points. This is because drivers tend to overestimate their own ability and that of their car.

Young drivers seem to be particulary prone to do this. It doesn't seem to be closely related to lack of driving experience as people who pass their test in their 30's do not have the same accident rate.

Every driver leaves home intending to come back alive, uninjured, with no damage to his or her car, no court appearance pending, no new points on their licence and without having killed or injured anybody.

In other words every driver always ensures that the "situation is right". Sadly about 3000 people are killed every year and lots of people do damage their cars and get points. This is because drivers tend to overestimate their own ability and that of their car.

Young drivers seem to be particulary prone to do this. It doesn't seem to be closely related to lack of driving experience as people who pass their test in their 30's do not have the same accident rate.

Well some people I know dont seem to think that way.

One of them is determined to overtake everything as soon as he gets up behind it. The amount of times ive been driving behind him and he has a close call is ridiculous, and then he just brags about it.:rolleyes:

But maybe when your bought a £8K car before you pass and insurance paid for it doesnt matter. Thats what seems to have happened to him. Rawb proberbly knows who im on about.

the numbers I quoted came from official government figures. Based on my own day to day experience of court, they are on the low side.

yeah, i know their official figures, but i was just asking if it states exactly who is counted in that 33%?
day to day experiences of court? are you a solicitor or in the legal business then?

One of them is determined to overtake everything as soon as he gets up behind it. The amount of times ive been driving behind him and he has a close call is ridiculous,
That is my point. He drives like a lunatic because he thinks he is a good driver. If you talk to people like that they justify their driving by either saying they have never had a collision or that any collision they had was someone else's fault. Usually for not getting out of the way quickly enough.

we can only hope that he comes to his senses before he kills somebody.

yeah, i know their official figures, but i was just asking if it states exactly who is counted in that 33%?
day to day experiences of court? are you a solicitor or in the legal business then?

The figures include all drivers convicted of those offences, including the ones without a licence or insurance. I am a magistrate

That is my point. He drives like a lunatic because he thinks he is a good driver. If you talk to people like that they justify their driving by either saying they have never had a collision or that any collision they had was someone else's fault. Usually for not getting out of the way quickly enough.

we can only hope that he comes to his senses before he kills somebody.

Yea to him being a good driver is being able to overtake aline of traffic doing 60mph when it just makes you look like a prick.

It doesnt help that apparently his mum said she will buy him a Focus RS if he doesnt have proper crash in 2 years. Although he said it im guessing its 100% BS.

He needs to have crash that writes his car off but doesnt hurt him and where no one else is involved. Even if that happens I can see him getting his mum to buy a new car anyway.:rolleyes:

I am a magistrate

Cool(y)......see while you here, well I brought a pair of shoes 3 months ago but after a few weeks they started to smell:( I wash my feet 2/3 times a week and normally change my socks every day so I dont think thats the issue) I brought those comfy insoles (pine scented) which helped but after a few days the smell returned also one of the soles has started to split from the main part of the shoe. Ok they were cheap (£20) shoes but I expected them to last a year but shop wont take them back. Where do I legally stand (excuse the pun) on this?

p.s. My thoughts are older drivers know the risks more, they are also more financially restricted so cant afford to race around all day and often have families so have adapted a more slower and cautious approach to driving.

Back