cinq_side1.jpg

Cinquecento Project PT Cinquecento

Introduction

My project is to put a Punto 1.4 GT Turbo engine into a Cinquecento Sporting. Started project 2 weeks ago by buying a crashed cat B punto gt (56000miles) with a good running engine, had the cinq for about 4 months. Great little car!!! I understand that this is not an easy conversion but i'll give it a go.(this may take a while due to kids and wife!) few pics of cars before starting, i'll post as and when i can.

Thanks for all the coments on the newbie central

cinq_side1.jpg

punto_engine_bay.jpg

punto_front1.jpg
looking good so far, i had to completely strip a gt3 last year and toyed with the idea of what your doing. Where bouts u from mate? make sure u get plenty of pics

-----------------------

Things to sort out include

GT clutch is hydraulic, cinq is cable. GT gear shift is rods, cinq is cable

Here are a couple of reference pics that might help you on your conversion mate, its not mine but another members pics that i found could be helpfull

dscf0036.jpg

You can see how close the engine sits to the chassie leg, two small marks in the pic are where a 2"-3" section will be cutout for a engine mounting point

dscf0039.jpg

in this pic u can see where the dizzy sits which is very close to the slam pannel

dscf0040.jpg

UPDATE....

well engine is in the bay with all cutting mods done.
Started to make the rear engine mount and worked out how to make the other 2.
Cutting mods are as we all know the drivers side leg (Photos to follow). you need to open up the box section (no need to remove it all) and the cut about 2-3" gap out so the standard Uno mount will slot in. Also remove Battery tray.
you also need to bang down a lip on the passenger side there the chassie rails meet the front arms, as you need the box to fit further back (only a 1-2")
Front gearbox one looks like i can use another rubber which came off the rear of the standard cinq (as its shollow) an make a small triangle braket.
Rear Gearbox mount looks like i can use the standard Uno rear gearbox and extend is which works out around 3" .
Other things i have found the Uno box is hydraulic BUT its only a hydraulic system with moves the arm rather than a release baring. I removed all the hydraulic mounts from around the top of the box and all the parts there are for cable. I can eather weld a new section on the Clutch arm OR find on it a scrap yard as it just unclips.
Now the engine is in the bay i can see i may have to mod/cut some of the slam panel out as the dizzy cap is very close but more of a update when the engine is fully bolted in.

(y)

Last edited:
no because the punto is the best fiat avalible

And thats your opinion, but as your on the FIAT FORUM and not the PUNTO Forum, you will have to put up with the cinq/sei crew.

And as for the engine swap, it is a lot more difficult swap to put it into the cinq, so the end car is a lot rarer than a converted punto, and at the end of the day aint that what modding cars is all about - having something different?

Awesome!! You planning some Suspension upgrades to make up for the extra weight? Hear the PGT conversion tends to make the Cento's a tad nose heavy??

Haven't got round to thinking about suspension yet, prob upgrade cinq shocks and springs to Eibach.

You might find that it'll still be wanting. Wardy25 described the handling on his UT engined Sei with upgraded (off the shelf) suspension as

WARDY25 said:
corners no chance handle like a sack of s**t

Still, good luck with the project :) What you got planned for the brakes?

Last edited:
I'm glad that my project is creating such interest, be it positive or negative. I believe everybody is intitled to there opinion. Hopefully will meet at a fiat get together someday when the project is completed, and people can judge it in the flesh. For me this is a project that has come about by chance. Already had the cinq and was thinking what to do with it, when my mate wrote off his punto. This has allowed me to create something different and in my mind unique! If anyone knows of any other punto GT cinq's I'd like to here about them or speak to the people who made them.Thanks
Bandido. Cheers for the PM. I'll look you up when extra hands are needed.

I'm glad that my project is creating such interest, be it positive or negative. I believe everybody is intitled to there opinion. Hopefully will meet at a fiat get together someday when the project is completed, and people can judge it in the flesh. For me this is a project that has come about by chance. Already had the cinq and was thinking what to do with it, when my mate wrote off his punto. This has allowed me to create something different and in my mind unique! If anyone knows of any other punto GT cinq's I'd like to here about them or speak to the people who made them.Thanks
Bandido. Cheers for the PM. I'll look you up when extra hands are needed.
No worries, any time

Back