Technical Problems with the Fuel cap?

Currently reading:
Technical Problems with the Fuel cap?

joannedaniel1

I get a problem with my fuel cap, it keeps leaking and i most of my petrol ends up on the road other than my engin. I wanna know is this a common problem with Cinquecento's and if it is is there anybody who know how to solve the problem? is really starting to bug me now it happends wen i go around the courners to quick.
My brother has the same problem wen it was his car and he tried to put silacone around the fule cap to seal it again it worked for a while but now the silacone now has just rotted.
Can anyone help?
Thanx
Joanne

probably be the little rubber thing that goes around the fuel cap and causes the pressure seal, if u have a nice friend with a cinq ask if u can borrow there cap for a day and see if it still does it

sig1.jpg

you can buy a new fuel cap off ebay usually, am i right in thinking that you can take them of a car at a scrappers and change the lock for your own???

or am i been st00pid again?

BlueCinq - 1995N - 899cc

Joanne,

Me & the Girlie both have Cinq's, both have had the petrol tank replaced, and both still p*ss petrol out of the cap!!

The rubber seal on Amanda's was rotten, so I bought a brand new cap from Fiat (about £6 I think) and put her lock in it so she could keep the same key. No help though - nice new rubber seal, and the petrol still pours out!!

The rubber on mine is 'OK' but I can't be bothered to replace my cap because it obviously doesn't cure the leak! The leak only happens when the tank is between full and half, going round bends (left handers) or parking the car facing up a hill!

Getting sick of it myself - having to T-cut petrol stains off the paintwork and suffering the whiff of fuel whenever the window is open (all the time now the weather is nice!)

Any suggestions gladly welcomed......

Regards,

Bruce.

z1-anim.gif

i think most cinqs leak fuel when ever u corner to quick to the left it all just spills out lol they must have crap petrol caps you can see it down the side of my car after a bit of speedy cornering :S

test.jpg

Like fixitagaintomorrows, none of our Cinqs have ever leaked fuel from the cap. The best thing is as Dawozere says try and borrow a cap from somebody (ideally a swap followed by some spirited cornering) and see which one leaks. If your cap leaks on their car it's your cap, if his leaks on yours it's your neck/filler/tank. Then I'd have a VERY careful look at everything, and compare it to a known good one. Something must be wrong, and it's not only a pain but could be dangerous.

HTH

Tosh

**Men don't stop playing because they grow old; they grow old because they stop playing.**

Seeing as Amanda's Cinq has a brand new cap, and STILL leaks, your suggestion of the filler neck is probably the cause![:(!]

If I get time next week, I'll ge them checked out.

Thanks for the advice....

Bruce.

z1-anim.gif

The fuel tank is meant to be pressurised> so when you open it, it goes "psshhhhhh" (lol just like that!) I had to have a whole new filler section on mine> but it doesn't leak anymore.

7.jpg

Alex,

Please can you tell me a little more about the filler neck replacement.......

Why did you have it replaced?

How much was it?

Did you do the work yourself? - If so, was it easy?

Sorry for all the questions.....but would like as much info as poss. before I go playing with fire (if you catch my drift!!;))

Many thanks,

Bruce.

z1-anim.gif

Been here, fixed it.

Bad news is that you need to replace the WHOLE filler neck and the breather lines, the only way I could fix this sort of leak. A real PITA [:(!]

Steve Wright

http://www.chestermodels.com/fiat

http://www.offroading.net

My Cinq is behaving in exactly the same way as joannedaniel1's. Did you get it sorted? It's had a new fuel tank (at recall) but that was before I bought it. It has never psshhhhhh'd at me either - I feel rather left out! It does psshhhhhh out petrol if there's more than half a tank though (especially on those left-handers).

Reading these posts I'm not sure a new filler cap will help. The one I have seems ok, the rubber isn't tarnished or anything. I can't work out where the fuel is coming from, there's obviously a leak somewhere near the top end of the filler tube. There is a small hole in the plastic on the lower right of the petrol cap, about 2cm outside of the hose at the 5 o'clock position. Do all Cinqs have this little hole or could this be my problem? The only other person I know with a Cinq has the old shape with the exposed filler cap, mine is a P reg, with the little petrol door!

Reading through this topic, and other topics on the forum, there are a number of people having trouble with fuel leaks from the filler cap on Cinqs. Could this be a design flaw (another one!), it might be worthy of a sticky post at the top of the Cinq section.

Hia, no i havent had it done coz ive only just had my exhaused fixed (the person who had the my cinq befor my brother took out my flexi, so when i took corners to quick;) it was putting a lot of presure on the pipe, so eventualy it broke but thats sorted now and sounding great.)
Ye, but i was speaking to my brother who had the Cinq befor me and recons if i need a knew neck it will be a fiat job wich will set me bk a lot![:(!][V]
But i wil need it done soon coz im fed up with putting £10 in and £5 on the road when i take a corner!!!![:(!]
Keep me updated on how things are goin with other Cinq full tanks.
Thanx
Joanne

Girl racer! watch out

Originally posted by Gman
My Cinq is behaving in exactly the same way as joannedaniel1's. Did you get it sorted? It's had a new fuel tank (at recall) but that was before I bought it. It has never psshhhhhh'd at me either - I feel rather left out! It does psshhhhhh out petrol if there's more than half a tank though (especially on those left-handers).

Reading these posts I'm not sure a new filler cap will help. The one I have seems ok, the rubber isn't tarnished or anything. I can't work out where the fuel is coming from, there's obviously a leak somewhere near the top end of the filler tube. There is a small hole in the plastic on the lower right of the petrol cap, about 2cm outside of the hose at the 5 o'clock position. Do all Cinqs have this little hole or could this be my problem? The only other person I know with a Cinq has the old shape with the exposed filler cap, mine is a P reg, with the little petrol door!

Reading through this topic, and other topics on the forum, there are a number of people having trouble with fuel leaks from the filler cap on Cinqs. Could this be a design flaw (another one!), it might be worthy of a sticky post at the top of the Cinq section.

Well, I'll have to say in this case B*****d Fiat!
My black'un is leaking as others mention. Just bought a new filler neck (£58+vat[:(!]) It's a tank off joib to replace, too. Hopefully this will cure it, otherwise a trip off Beachy Head might.:p

The hole at 5 o'clock is actually a drain line, connected to a short pipe and bot all else.

Pete.
1242cc cinq, turbo cinq, Cinqs&Seis Yahoo group, Clubcento
Vote Binkioh no, hang on..

Originally posted by fixitagaintomorrow Just bought a new filler neck (£58+vat[:(!]) It's a tank off joib to replace, too. Hopefully this will cure it, otherwise a trip off Beachy Head might.:p
Pete

Pete. I know this is a bit of an imposition, but if you are going to have to replace your filler neck, is there any chance of you taking some photos and posting them up? Those of us who either have to do the job, or who may need to in the future, would find it very useful indeed. (Plus I know you are a very helpful bloke that likes to help others :):))

Tosh

**Men don't stop playing because they grow old; they grow old because they stop playing.**

Some photos would be very helpful. It would be great if you could find exactly where in the filler neck the leak was coming from . If there is a weak point somewhere then maybe there's a chance of a patch-up job rather than a replacement - I don't like the idea of taking off the petrol tank myself!

G

Back