General Previous antics...

Currently reading:
General Previous antics...

I can't vouch for my cohorts on the expedition, but I can say that team Up The Proverbial Creek passed all donations on to Charity, and all costs incurred came out of our personal war-chest!!

With regard to the poor Mongols who have to drive the cars, I agree, they are in a fairly sorry state upon arrival, but mechanics in Mongolia is surely faster (and safer) than other modes of transport (Yaks)... and are serving a far better purpose out there, than rusting in a scrapyard in Blighty. Though we all do our best to save as many Pandas as come our way (spouses, or in my case Ken & Chelsea Res Parking regulations, permitting), it is sadly an impossible task.

Sometimes the lesser of two evils is to let them take the long drive into the cursed earth and hope that someone derives some form of pleasure/survival both from the vehicle and the funds raised. In our case the SJ is now rotting in a Kazak ditch (last I saw), but at least one police officer was showing considerable interest in stripping it down and turning it into a generator...

PS

Getting vehicles back from far flung corners of the world is my friend Baxers specialty. He managed to get his Hyosung motorcycle all the way back from Mongolia on the Trans-Siberian...

PPS

Despite our conflicting views on the matter, I hold you all in the highest regard, and must take this opurtunity to thank you all for whatever kindness/advice you have extended to me since I joined your illustrious ranks. Pandora is being collected today (after £500 worth of bodywork following collision with that coach) and will be thanking you all too!

"With a shimmy and shake, i can't fake, we're on top"

Pandora is being collected today (after £500 worth of bodywork following collision with that coach) and will be thanking you all too!
Well that's one to get a rust free panda... replace all the body panels.

"With a shimmy and shake, i can't fake, we're on top"
... what?... sounds like "jenny from the block"!

Bottom line is if you want to stop them going abroad then buy them, and store them. Otherwise it's someone else's car, with which they can do whatever they like.

The Tipo 2.0 16v was always much rarer than the wee panda, and is less of a cult car, but still a worthy car to be a classic. Many have been written off, scrapped, chav'd up or stripped out. That is their decission and as long as I and a few other enthusiasts have our near-original examples there will always be there for people to enjoy. I'd rather see them taken to Mongolia to live out a useful end to their life rather than them rusting or being cubed in some dingy scrap yard here in the UK.

Erm... That was the 2005 figure and I've had to put 6% of the panda population 'To Sleep':eek:

Jim

Your worse than the mongol rally lot :mad:

Flynbo (sorry don't know your name), it's good to see that you are sticking arround with your own Panda which I think is a first for any of the rally entrants on this site, it's also good to see that you don't take it personally.

Yeah, the 0.1 is the bit's I've junked off juppy (like the screen, the interior etc....)

Oh and that's not counting the 2 that Steve has scrapped....:p

Thou in my defence I have imported 1 thats still on the road but we still have a net loss:(

I'm pretty sure, becoming a donor is not a senseless trashing like many...
Some oarts are worth more than the monetary value of the car these days, or worse simply not obtainable through parts suppliers. case inpoint the 4x4 fuell filler pipe, so if anyone has got one let me know. I'm a little tired of putting £5 petrol at a time.

Oh and that's not counting the 2 that Steve has scrapped....:p

1 Jim, and not before salvaging what I could from it. Will I get the pictures out again to prove it was beyond repair? :p

The second Sisley was bad but it wasn't scrapped. It went to a man who wanted to teach his son how to work on cars and he did assure me that it would be returned to the road.

Anyway, in saving Splutter and finding homes for countless other Pandas my kudos has been restored. (y)

Back