Technical PowerFlex bushes

Currently reading:
Technical PowerFlex bushes

vandisian

Bit of a strange request but if anyone is about to fit powerflex bushes on there car could they get dimensions of the components. Or if anyone knows the sizes could they post them?

As it so happens im fitting some eventually, and have drawn out rough diagrams with measurements. They are only measured with a ruler, so may be slightly out though.

Attachments

• PIC_0091.JPG
    PIC_0091.JPG
    275.2 KB · Views: 25
  • PIC_0093.JPG
    PIC_0093.JPG
    280.1 KB · Views: 23
  • PIC_0094.JPG
    PIC_0094.JPG
    390.6 KB · Views: 22
exactly what im looking for cheers. This material is about £10 a metre to buy and the centre piece is easy enough to make too. Going to make me some in the machine shop i work in.

you can get any shore rating you want from suppliers. The ones you buy are injection moulded i would think id need to turn mine. Also looking at the pick posted there are grooves on side of barrel just relief i think. Going to do a bit of trial and error to see how they feel but certainly if they work ill run a batch on nightshift the CNC will spit them out. The centre pieces may be hardened but could probably buy it in in that diameter of tube and cut them off in the grinder.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I wonder if there is an optimum hardness for performance Vs fillings-in-teeth-retention/windscreen integrity.

I saw a set of powerflexes being installed on an XR2 and they at first seemed too-large a diameter to fit. As they are rumped down though, those grooves allow it to compress a little and to fit very snugly.

If you want to make some bushes, nobody does poly roll bar bushes either for mounting the rollbar or for the links to the suspension arms. If you made these I would be wanting to buy those.

Please make some Please(y)

Badger i would need some sizes but im going to do a lot of stuff for my own car and if everything is ok certainly can produce some. Im needing some bushes for my 899sx and i just thought i go for the powerflex ones but to be honest its not that im tight but i just cant see 15 quids worth of product in a single bush. I mean from my point of view i really could turn one of these easy and in the powerflex website it says its a special compound but ive used the same material to make bushes that go in helicopters so its freely available. Im quite sure there are even better compounds available too.

PS They use it in some nyloc nuts instead of nylon as some of it is heat resistant.

Last edited:
If you need a new bush to copy for the anti roll bar, I will go to the fiat dealers and buy one to send to you to copy, as long as you make me a set as well, I will still pay, I just want to build super cinq. :cool:

Just try and get dimensions from someone who has fitted them.

This wont happen over night,, actually it will on the nightshift but what i mean is ill knock some up on the manual lathes and if it goes ok ill run a batch when i can get on a CNC lathe. Ill post something once ive got it up and running. And if im making stuff for myself material costs and postage will suffice. Theres a couple of other things im going to do for the car some stainless mods well not mods replacements. Ill post anything i get done for anyone whose interested.

are these bushes usually a press fit?

The aftermarkets arent no, they usually slide in reasonably easily.

Tisn't an interference fit!

arseofbox said:
The aftermarkets arent no, they usually slide in reasonably easily.

Tisn't an interference fit!

did you put some in then i was wondering if the metal tube is pushed ie stuck and is it parallel or is there a flange on one end?

cheers

No I havent personally, but I would PRESUME that its a parallel tube, given that it goes in after the bush is inserted in the arm and that AFAIK, theres no recess in the bush to allow the tube to sit flush- which it would have to really as I doubt it (the bush and crush tube) should sit proud of the housing!

Maybe Pete or Badger_Benji could enlighten you...

cheers for the help
the bushes are stepped on one end as per diagram above

the material is called Autothane

Last edited:
fixitagaintomorrow said:
Metal tube is parallel, no flanges.

Bushes are not a loose fit in the arm, they need greasing and pushing in quite firmly by hand.

cheers

Hi Mate
I`ve got a full set of powerflex rear ones that i havent fitted yet,do you want me to post up some piccies?
Don`t know if it`ll help
Cheers
Adrian

Back