Technical Power steering failure - currently broken down

Currently reading:
Technical Power steering failure - currently broken down

I am a little confused because I was thinking that we are discussing this cable. But, I see no such cable on the photo you attached.

The photo I attached is of the removed pump. There are four cables connected to it, one power and three control.
power steer conn.jpg
Dch5WQMKmSqnAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
power steer conn.jpg
Connector A is the power one that gives trouble.
HTH,
Robert G8RPI.

Last edited:
Looking at the image covering the 4 x connectors.

It appears the correct profile..and just using 2-core cable.

Have you located the cable on your car yet? Kam05
Actually, no. Yesterday, the steering became stiff with the red light on and hasn't come back ever since. I was thinking to buy the cable and then take the car to the mechanic in order to replace it. But, I slept on it and I think I should go to the mechanic first to see what is the problem actually. I am just hoping it is not the pump.

I suspect if you unplug your own cable.. any damage may be quite obvious.

What happened yesterday?

Low speed manouvering.. or failed at speed?
I was not using the car for a day or two, and yesterday I drew it around 4-5 miles and after two hours of parking when I started the car the steering light appeared on the dashboard. Just now I removed the engine cover and shook the connectors a bit and it works again.
I have a feeling it's about the connector, no?
p.s I honestly don't know how to unplug the cable as it seems quite unreachable even after removing the cover
p.s.2 sorry for the amateur questions, as you can already imagine I am not really good with cars.

I was not using the car for a day or two, and yesterday I drew it around 4-5 miles and after two hours of parking when I started the car the steering light appeared on the dashboard. Just now I removed the engine cover and shook the connectors a bit and it works again.
I have a feeling it's about the connector, no?
p.s I honestly don't know how to unplug the cable as it seems quite unreachable even after removing the cover
p.s.2 sorry for the amateur questions, as you can already imagine I am not really good with cars.

Hi,
If moving the loom "fixed" it for a while it is almost certainly the connector issue/

If you have the new lead and connector then the first thing is to fit it.

It's a known problem and even if fitting a replacement pump I'd recommend fitting a new connector to prevent future problems so there is no downside to tying it first.

Leaving it with a bad connector will eventually damage the pump as well due to heat transfer and electrical transients caused by arcing.

Best way to access the connector is from underneath the car, but use propper axle stands or ramps, don't rely on the wheel chaging jack when working under the car.

Robert G8RPI.

Last edited:
Hi,
If moving the loom "fixed" it for a while it is almost certainly the connector issue/

If you have the new lead and connector then the first thing is to fit it.

It's a known problem and even if fitting a replacement pump I'd recommend fitting a new connector to prevent future problems so there is no downside to tying it first.

Leaving it with a bad connector will eventually damage the pump as well due to heat transfer and electrical transients caused by arcing.

Best way to access the connector is from underneath the car, but use propper axle stands or ramps, don't rely on the wheel chaging jack when working under the car.

Robert G8RPI.
Hi Robert,
You are right. I will go ahead and order the connector. Just to double check: is it the right connector? https://errebishop.com/it/cablaggi-...roma-alimentazione-della-pompa-elettrica.html

Hi Kam05
The power steering draws a huge amount of current and the connector is not very good.

One check is that if you unplug the connector there might be marks around the pin or socket.

The vectra cable I got second hand from a car breaker was far superior and even had a rubber cover built in to protect the connection.

The other cheap thing to check is your battery. As the pump draws so much current a few people have found that the power steering going hard at slow speeds and full lock is the first sign that their battery is on the way out.

Let us know how you get on or if you need any more advice.

Hi Brian,
The vectra one you got was the like one on the photo? I found one pretty cheap (around 20 €) but not sure if it would fit or not.
Do you perhaps remember part code? was it 13111603?
Thanks,

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Hi Kam05, looks like the correct one. The Vectra one I got had a rubber cover to go over the connection.

UPDATE:
so I ended up buying the fiat cable from Italy which arrived within two days. But, I did not change it until two days ago when the steering wheel became stiff again. I got my neighbor to fix it and it now works fine. The only thing is he kept the old wire in place and only disconnected and cut the two out of three heads of the old wire. He connected the new one directly to the alternator, and he told me it is perfectly fine. You think it is safe to keep it this way, provided that he tied the wire to other cables on its way from the alternator to the steering pump.
Thanks beforehand

Hi Kam05 I left my original cable in place, albeit disconnect at both ends and insulated so I think you should be fine.

Sorry for bringing up this old thread. As a new Croma owner, and previous Stilo Mw, I'm experiencing steering issues like this. Car already comes with replacement cable, and checked battery and alternator and they're okay. I think it's the pump itself. Anybody who swapped it, did it broke again? Or is it a long lasting repair?
Thanks in advance.

Hi although we sold our Croma four years ago I do remember vividly the drama
the power steering issue caused me!. As the steering pump is very expensive it is essential to make sure the connection at the pump is GOOD!. The previous owner has obviously had drama hence the new cable But you must be sure that the two brass spade connectors at the pump are not pitted/damaged by the electrical arcing/sparking and check the new lead also has not been damaged consequently. I think the pump is tough and can take some abuse so It should be OK.
At the time I had trouble with this I considered replacing the plug connecter altogether with blot and eyelet type by drilling holes in the brass spades and bolting the eyelet with 6mm bolts and self-locking nuts. The pump draws a huge amperage and push connectors are really not man enough! just look at the harness connection at the battery connecter with its 10mm nut and bolt.

Attachments

• Eyelet.png
    Eyelet.png
    86.3 KB · Views: 35
Back