Technical Power steering failure - currently broken down

Currently reading:
Technical Power steering failure - currently broken down

I have the power steering problem. Took it to my garage and they found that the lead was corroded by the socket. They quoted £67 for the lead plus labour and vat. They also wanted to fit a new pump at around £ 500 plus labour and vat. (Fiat pump £ 800+).
I told them to try and repair the lead which they did by soldering however it lasted about 2 weeks and the steering has gone again. So I am going to try to find the lead myself and either attempt a repair or maybe get a Vectra one.
I can see from the thread the socket but where do the other ends of the lead connect to? Also where is the pump located? I read in one thread that it is attached to the bulkhead.
Hope someone can help as the Croma is stranded on my drive.

Hi,
Sorry to hear you are having problems. The pump is mounted low on the bulkhead behind the engine. Quite hard to see. pulling the fuel filter (assuming diesel) out of it's housing will give a better view. Removing the undertray will give access from below. Vectra leads are on ebay. Where hid the garage solder the lead? If they soldered direct to the pump pins a new lead may not fit.

Robert G8RPI.

g8rpi .
Thanks for your input

The corroded wires were just as the cable entered the plug. Exactly what/
how they soldered wont be discovered until I get the cable out.
When the garage showed me the cable I seem to remember 3 cables entering the plug all of which had damaged insulation and corroded copper. So I am pretty sure this is the cause of the steering problem. I dont think they did anything to the pump itself.

I was thinking I could remove the pins and splice in some new wire after cutting off the damaged section or just buy a vectra cable which seem to be a lot cheaper than Fiats.

Do you know where the other end of the cable goes (fuse box?)

g8rpi .
Thanks for your input

The corroded wires were just as the cable entered the plug. Exactly what/
how they soldered wont be discovered until I get the cable out.
When the garage showed me the cable I seem to remember 3 cables entering the plug all of which had damaged insulation and corroded copper. So I am pretty sure this is the cause of the steering problem. I dont think they did anything to the pump itself.

I was thinking I could remove the pins and splice in some new wire after cutting off the damaged section or just buy a vectra cable which seem to be a lot cheaper than Fiats.

Do you know where the other end of the cable goes (fuse box?)

Easiest to by a Vectra loom. I'm not 100% sure were the other end goes, I think it is the fused junction box on the battery. You could splice the end of the new loom onto the old but it can be hard to make a good joint on old cable. Moisture and corrosion products can wick up the stranded conductor a long way causing surface corrosion.
The Vectra pump is physically and electrically the same, it's just the built in software that stops us using them on Cromas.

Robert G8RPI.
Robert.

g8rpi

When you refer to loom you do mean the power cable that plugs into the steering pump which from memory was about 200mm long when I saw it at the garage? (Although the pictures I have seen on EBay of the power cable do seem to be longer).

I think I will jack the car up on Saturday and see if I can remove the cable and take it from there.

Do you know if the actual pump is easy to remove or should I leave well alone?

g8rpi

When you refer to loom you do mean the power cable that plugs into the steering pump which from memory was about 200mm long when I saw it at the garage? (Although the pictures I have seen on EBay of the power cable do seem to be longer).

I think I will jack the car up on Saturday and see if I can remove the cable and take it from there.

Do you know if the actual pump is easy to remove or should I leave well alone?

Yes, Loom = harness = cable.
I'd leave the pump in place if you can. Taking it out just risks leaks or damage to pipework.

Robert G8RPI.

Thanks for that g8rpi.

If I manage to work on it this weekend (weather permitting) I will post any problems I come across- or not.

Got the cable off and discovered the garage only taped the cables! Anyway, stripped the plug and soldered new cable to each of the three pins and spliced into the other side of each cable. Checked for continuity in each cable and refitted. Nothing doing, it was a complete waste of time so it has to be the pump.

So facing a bill of nearly £900 and seriously thinking of calling it a day with my Croma.

Anyone out there looking for a Croma Diesel 1.9 8v for spares.

Got the cable off and discovered the garage only taped the cables! Anyway, stripped the plug and soldered new cable to each of the three pins and spliced into the other side of each cable. Checked for continuity in each cable and refitted. Nothing doing, it was a complete waste of time so it has to be the pump.

So facing a bill of nearly £900 and seriously thinking of calling it a day with my Croma.

Anyone out there looking for a Croma Diesel 1.9 8v for spares.

You can get a re-built pump for £275
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm//112515456691
or used for £100
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273121097169

Did you check the fuses?

Robert G8RPI

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I have just realised that the cable I have just 'repaired' is not the power cable. The cable I repaired looks nothing like the cable on ebay when I searched for 'Idroguida Fiat Croma 51844351 originale Fiat'. This appears to have a rather thick red and black lead, so I don't know what cable I repaired was.It was 3 relatively thin wires red,green & black. The large plug plugged into the pump and the other smaller plug into the steering rack. I am now wondering how easy changing this power cable is to do as getting to the connectors is pig awkward and visibility is non existant unless you remove loads of bits in the engine bay.

Sorry folks dont know what happened there but I copied and pasted an image. Can someone explain how to post an image in a reply!

Sorry folks dont know what happened there but I copied and pasted an image. Can someone explain how to post an image in a reply!

No problem, I've deleted that. To upload an image, click on the paperclip in the toolbar above the message box you are typing in. Select browse, browse to the file(s) you want, select it and click upload. This attaches the file. Click the paperclip again and you will see the file
Dog-in-boot.jpg
Double click the file name adt it will insert in the current cursor position.
Gratuitious Dog in Croma used for example.
biggrin.gif

Sounds like you replaced the control loom. The heavy power loom is usually the one giving trouble.

Robert G8RPI.

An interesting development. I thought I would have another look yesterday evening. Checked all the fuses which were ok and then removed the engine cover to give more room and light. Got my hand down to what I think was the power lead and 'jiggled it about'. Guess what? the steering is back, dont know how long for but at least its a start. What I don't know is whether it is the power lead or the pump itself thats causing the problem. From what members have said in various threads it could well be the lead.
At least if I decide to get rid I can drive it down and part exchange it. Might have another go before I finally decide.
Does anyone know where the other end of the power lead goes as I cant seem to decide whether it actually passes into the main loom itself?

Hi,
Almost certainly the lead is the root cause. However the garage work and your wiggle (maybe garage didn't get connector in tight) may well have cured it for a reasonable time. If it acts up again a Vectra lead and quick polish of the pins on the pump should be a permanent cure.

Same choice in car and dog, that's weird. Mind you we didn't choose the dog, she chose me. We were at Wood Green thinking about something small and non shedding and this supposed shy and nervous Shepherd-Husky cross dragged her walker over to greet me.
Robert G8RPI.

Thought I would risk using the Croma to get to work today and let my wife use my other car, a Panda. Arrived ok and car worked as normal. Hopefully it will get me home.
If the weather is ok at the weekend I think I will see if I can trace the where the cable runs to and if I can do this, order a Vectra lead and do as you suggest with the pins on the pump. Will post how I get on.

P.S My dog is also a girl but she is a Shepherd/Rotti cross. My Croma is also silver (yours looks silver in the photo). Wierd it is. Thanks for your help, made me feel a little bit happier with my croma.

Spent a bit of time this weekend on trying to get to the cable. Found the best way was to take the panel off in the offside wheel arch and with a strong light from above you can see the cable however it is difficult to get the power lead plug off the pump. Decided to leave it for another day as the car appears to be running ok for now.

I tried to follow where the cable goes to but it vanishes into the loom sheathing and so it would appear that you need to take the loom sheathing off to expose the cables. You can actually see that the loom is carrying quite a few cables and if I go down this road I am worried I could damage something.

I ve not checked through all the posts to do with this steering problem, but, if anyone has managed to change the lead would you know if my thoughts as above are correct.

Spent a bit of time this weekend on trying to get to the cable. Found the best way was to take the panel off in the offside wheel arch and with a strong light from above you can see the cable however it is difficult to get the power lead plug off the pump. Decided to leave it for another day as the car appears to be running ok for now.

I tried to follow where the cable goes to but it vanishes into the loom sheathing and so it would appear that you need to take the loom sheathing off to expose the cables. You can actually see that the loom is carrying quite a few cables and if I go down this road I am worried I could damage something.

I ve not checked through all the posts to do with this steering problem, but, if anyone has managed to change the lead would you know if my thoughts as above are correct.

Rightly or wrongly I just left the original cable in the loom disconnected at both end and routed the replacement that was from a Vectra c as close to it as I could.

You're right about the access panel inside the wheel arch being the easiest way to get to it. It's actually quite easy to replace once you've worked out how to touch it. When my cable was failing giving it a wiggle would sometimes help for a while.

Have you got the replacement cable yet?

Exist a modified cable for solve power steering failure for croma.
Problem is the original connector. Is cheap price.
I have fitted in 3 Croma and solve immediately.

Sorry for my bad english.

Exist a modified cable for solve power steering failure for croma.
Problem is the original connector. Is cheap price.
I have fitted in 3 Croma and solve immediately.

Sorry for my bad english.

Hi and welcome.
Here in the UK were Cromas are rare we tend to fit used Vauxhall (Opel) Vectra C leads a they are cheap and easy to find. Do you have a link to the seller of the one you have used?

Robert G8RPI.

Back