Technical Pollen filter?

Currently reading:
Technical Pollen filter?

Hi guys,
I'm having horrific condensation issues currently. With the help of other 500 owners I've tried (i think) everything...
Last year I had thick ice on the inside, despite a cover and 6 dehumidifiers! I've tried the location litter, rice and salt suggestions. My pop dosent have air conditioning.

Someone said the condensation could be caused by the "pollen filter" needing to be changed...

Does this sound right? The car is a fiat 500 Pop 2010.
Took this pic last night from the drive cam.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231107_222542_Tapo.jpg
    Screenshot_20231107_222542_Tapo.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 62
If it's a pop you probably won't have air con
So that means there's no pollen filter
You need to check everywhere in the car for any water getting in

The boot around the spare wheel
Floor in the rear behind the seats and central console
Front of the car around 5he dashboard ect

Try to get your hand unde the carpets to check for water

How often do you use the car, and what type of journey.
Often a longer run with the cabin warm helps dry things out and clear it up.

Excess water inside the car? Check the carpets are not wet especially behind the front seats.
I've noticed our old Mazda suffers the same even though it has ac if, it's not been driven for a few days depending on which way round it's parked on a slope it's either front or rear.
Also note there are two drains in the engine bay if blocked can cause water to enter into the car under the dash often un noticed until some electrical fault occurs?
Also check the ventilation is not on re circulation?

Hi guys,
I'm having horrific condensation issues currently. With the help of other 500 owners I've tried (i think) everything...
Last year I had thick ice on the inside, despite a cover and 6 dehumidifiers! I've tried the location litter, rice and salt suggestions. My pop dosent have air conditioning.

Someone said the condensation could be caused by the "pollen filter" needing to be changed...

Does this sound right? The car is a fiat 500 Pop 2010.
Took this pic last night from the drive cam.

Hi, 🙂

firstly double check the Duckbills Drains 😉

Next.. Whilst you have the bonnet open: double check the coolant level
( view from side with a Torch /light behind)

Let us know how that went, and we can work you through this 👍

If you have been driving about during the day with the heater on and the car is quite hot/warm when you park up for the night!- if you have a drive or garage leaving the doors or windows open for a few minute to equalise the temperature inside and out might help prevent condensation on the inside of the screen! also before stopping the engine turning the airflow dial to the footwell position and closing off the vents to screen and dashboard helps prevent moisture laden air getting into the cabin near the screen and windows!.
I have one off those moisture traps filled with absorbent balls that you use in the kitchen&bathroom that i pop on the dash at night to help absorb stray moisture!!.
I had a problem with the drivers side rear window going cloudy with moisture at the slightest sign of rain or if i had four people in the car there breathing warmth could cause it as well i found that the rubber window seals (on both sides ) had cracked and hardened with age causing an imperfect seal! once i had them replaced the problem was cured ! have a check round ALL your glass sealing rubbers for problems! as for water ingress all the previously mention ideas are sound but dont exclude the roof aerial area in your investigations!.
best of luck!

Make sure the heating controls are set to let fresh air into the car and not recirculate the air. If it’s set to recirculate then the air doesn’t move through the car and any moisture from your breath or sweat just builds up in the car, it is also possible you have some water leaking into the car as suggested above

Make sure the heating controls are set to let fresh air into the car and not recirculate the air. If it’s set to recirculate then the air doesn’t move through the car and any moisture from your breath or sweat just builds up in the car, it is also possible you have some water leaking into the car as suggested above

Kind of obvious for us who are used to years of owning damper cars.. But thanks for the reminder 👍 needed to be said

I have just taken on a Punto that's..

Diesel = slow to warm
Damp =. Rear area has wet carpets
Inefficient airflow= direction flaps are 'compromised'

Helpful at this time of year
1, Clean the glass thorough.. DUST and Dirt holds moisture

2, As soon as you set off.. Lower the windows 25mm / 1 inch.. Helps the vents pass air over the screen
(without letting in rain..)

If it's a pop you probably won't have air con
So that means there's no pollen filter
You need to check everywhere in the car for any water getting in

The boot around the spare wheel
Floor in the rear behind the seats and central console
Front of the car around 5he dashboard ect

Try to get your hand unde the carpets to check for water
Oh no! The rear footwell on the drivers side behind the seat is soaking wet! But how? I know nothing has ever been spilled there.

Could this be it? Why the condensation is so bad?

It is but also yes! I've just found the rear drivers side footwell is soaking wet!

Oh no! The rear footwell on the drivers side behind the seat is soaking wet! But how? I know nothing has ever been spilled there.

Could this be it? Why the condensation is so bad?
Almost certainly the cause of steamy windows...

Try the rear wash wipe.. Does it squirt on the window? 🤔

If not the hose has failed.. Filling the footwell 😒

If, if you use screen wash that's coloured use a bit kitchen roll soak up some water if it's blue say you know its screen wash if however you only put water in its much harder, as above try rear washer, its also been noted it can creep in from the rear

Almost certainly the cause of steamy windows...

Try the rear wash wipe.. Does it squirt on the window? 🤔

If not the hose has failed.. Filling the footwell 😒
Thankyou for coming back to me!
Yes the all wipers squirt and work, lots of pressure.

I don't think I've ever loved a car with so many issues. Last week my door passenger handle came off. Ugh.

Do you park on a hill?

The build up of water is a sure sign of water leaking into the car, being behind the driver's seat it tends to imply the water is coming from the drivers side door this can be much worse if parking on a hill, the water runs to one end of the door opening, builds up then leaks past the door seal.

It is unlikely to be a build up of condensation. you definitely have water leaking in somewhere.

Does the car have a sunroof, theses can leak or if the drains for the sunroof are blocks or broken then water can get into the cabin.

Sometimes on a very small car like a fiat 500 the boot seal can leak and the boot being so close to the front seats on such a small car the water makes its way down the inside panels of the car and pools behind the front seats.

you need to get the water dried out as best you can, then spray the car with water or take it through a car wash and look for any signs of water getting in.

I don't think I've ever loved a car with so many issues. Last week my door passenger handle came off. Ugh.
There's a guide https://www.fiatforum.com/guides/broken-door-handle-articulator-hinge-repair.776/ on how to repair the handle, assuming the whole handle has not come off fix is about £5 if you can do it yourself?

A brand new handle if required £13

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Definitely get some bath towels and press these into the floor with some force and keep moving them around to soak up as much moisture as you can

Then check around the doors

Possibly get somebody to spray the car with a hosepipe

Around the aerial is another places I've seen a few times

After that is the spare wheel well dry?

Do you park on a hill?

The build up of water is a sure sign of water leaking into the car, being behind the driver's seat it tends to imply the water is coming from the drivers side door this can be much worse if parking on a hill, the water runs to one end of the door opening, builds up then leaks past the door seal.

It is unlikely to be a build up of condensation. you definitely have water leaking in somewhere.

Does the car have a sunroof, theses can leak or if the drains for the sunroof are blocks or broken then water can get into the cabin.

Sometimes on a very small car like a fiat 500 the boot seal can leak and the boot being so close to the front seats on such a small car the water makes its way down the inside panels of the car and pools behind the front seats.

you need to get the water dried out as best you can, then spray the car with water or take it through a car wash and look for any signs of water getting in.
Yes, the drive is on an incline. No sunroof though, so atleast thats one thing ruled out. If its running in through the door. Do I need some kind of adhesive sealant? Or a way to channel it back out?
Thankyou x

Yes, the drive is on an incline. No sunroof though, so atleast thats one thing ruled out. If its running in through the door. Do I need some kind of adhesive sealant? Or a way to channel it back out?
Thankyou x

Have a good look at the Passenger door (less likely to be worn)

Then compare with the Drivers Rubber Strips, etc 😉

Often they are damaged by feet, or passing things into the rear 😔

Sealants etc are a temp fix at best! and difficult to remove when you decide to do the job properly!.

Firstly make sure its the door seal thats the problem ie- damaged. perished, cracked, or mis-seated -etc also check the door shut lines are good and equal!. and the door striker plate is adjusted properly!.

The best test is to hire a "smoke generator" to fill the car with smoke so you can check for leakage out!(if the smoke can get out then water can get in!).

If you find that the seal IS!!! the problem then the options are- it might be possible to"pack out " the seal if the leak is contained in one small area by inserting a piece of rubber tube under or inside the seal strip to "plump it up" and thus seal properly!.

If you find multiple or generalised leakage, then the only real answer is a new seal strip!.
I would avoid online or aftermarket products in this case!- though(much) more expensive! this is one time i would encourage you to buy genuine from a fiat parts department!

Back