police cameras

Currently reading:
police cameras

My Uno has very little power so sticking at 30mph isn't too hard - but i spend more time looking at speedo than at the road sometime :S I feelt guilty otherwise.

Exactly, as does everyone, looking for cameras, police etc. YOURE SUPPOSED TO LOOK AT THE BL**DY ROAD!!!! Thats whats dangerous. I dont drive fast in built up areas but at night and on open roads I do speed, however I drive within mine and the cars limits and always have my eyes on the road, not my bl**dy speedo as you do, result no one gets hurt! I am sick of this governments attitude saying speeding is a crime and we should all drive as they say, my pont is that limits are getting lower on many roads for no reasons, and when new limits come in cameras appear. Dont you get it? The government dont want us to drive, they want us to sit on expensive and unreliable public transport and people with your hloier than thou attitude will just give them what they want. At the end of the day roads are for vehicles, not pedestrians, so if you dont want to be run over, stay on the pavement. Sorry to rant but but your posts have wound me up[}:)]nuff said:)

1987 126 FSM, 12" minilight style wheels, clear rear lights, smoked indicators.

Originally posted by nuovapanda
My Uno has very little power so sticking at 30mph isn't too hard - but i spend more time looking at speedo than at the road sometime :S I feelt guilty otherwise.

Exactly, as does everyone, looking for cameras, police etc. YOURE SUPPOSED TO LOOK AT THE BL**DY ROAD!!!! Thats whats dangerous. I dont drive fast in built up areas but at night and on open roads I do speed, however I drive within mine and the cars limits and always have my eyes on the road, not my bl**dy speedo as you do, result no one gets hurt! I am sick of this governments attitude saying speeding is a crime and we should all drive as they say, my pont is that limits are getting lower on many roads for no reasons, and when new limits come in cameras appear. Dont you get it? The government dont want us to drive, they want us to sit on expensive and unreliable public transport and people with your hloier than thou attitude will just give them what they want. At the end of the day roads are for vehicles, not pedestrians, so if you dont want to be run over, stay on the pavement. Sorry to rant but but your posts have wound me up[}:)]nuff said:)

All very true!

Paul, I agree with you all the way, but nuovopanda is right, concentrate on the road instead of your speedo! And don't believe the law enforcement agencies always have best interests at heart, like I said before, its too much about generating revenue for my liking!

As for my luck, me and my dad have had a terrible run of luck since the back end of last year.

First off some Chav's (3 of them!) on a motorbike (no licenses, tax, helmets etc) ran into his rover, then before he had a chance of getting it repaired a boy racer finished it off. He was turning right, boyracer behind went inside, boyracer behind that went to overtake, you can imagine the result! Best part was the boyracers got together and concocted a tale, and with my dad having no witnesses it ended up his fault.

Then my Fiesta got written off, I was edging slowly out of my drive(Its difficult to see past parked vehicles), when a speeding driver(LOL!) came down the road, not paying attention and ploughed straight into my front end. Again, with no witnesses to his speed guess who was at fault.

Then 4 weeks after I got my Stilo I came back to the carpark where I left it to find another car had rolled into it:(

Then to top it off, we both get done for speeding, btw, my Dad is like me and was really surprised to get done, he was doing 40 in 30, a very short stretch of 30 which is poorly signed, is dual carriage way and is heavily used, with the flow of traffic usually exceeding the speed limit slightly, another favourite for our friendly speed trap[xx(]

53 3d Stilo Dynamic JTD - Sprint Blue

I am sorry to hear about all that, happens to the best of us though. I am only young (18) but am starting to realise in many ways life isn't very fair.

When I say I look at the speedo too much, i do mean too much and not all of the time. I (like everyone else!) rate myself as a good driver having experience since 11 of handling cars and then having a very good driving instructor and doing lots of good reading. I would love to do an Advanced Driving Course to see how good I am and to back up my learning but time is coming into it at the moment (A levels) and I will have to wait. It only costs about £85 I think! Back to what I was saying, like everyone else I think I am a good driver but I have one thing extra in my defence, I stick to the limits.

The limits are set there for no reason and they aren't just arbitrary figures but made as such for a reason. It annoys me when people say "I am a good driver and drive within the limits of the car and myself" yet might do 35 in a 30 zone. That is not within your limits or your car limits because our friend Mr Newton takes over.

Nuovapanda, if you follow the rules, stick to the limits then you don't need to look out for speed cameras or police and hence you can concentrate on the road. It isn't the other way around!

I also know there are other reasons to ask why the government is having such a strict stance but this is one of the reasons why we must accept them. With what, 20 million cars on the road we need decent limits to prevent accidents.

Do you have children? If so, would you complain about a 20 zzone outside of their school? If so, you can accept why we need strict 20/30 zones elsewhere. If not, are you willing for your child to die because some idiot is goign too quickly? Thought not.

The fact is that until you feel the loss of having someone killed due to excessive speed you probably won't understand who and what you are endangering.

All good to you if you can sit in your car, keeping your eyes on the road and keep your speed at 30 or less through visual sight only but the rest of us need the speedo a lot.

The answer is a cheap HUD (head up display) of the speedo on the screen at a decent height. It would cost no more than £30 to add to a car in its basic form and provide a quick digital read out of the speed. I would add one to my car if I understood more about the speedo system.

For some reason manufacturers don't want to add it and despite trying to get it into cars in the US no one seems to want it.

Anyway, before you say anymore, checking your speedo takes about 0.3 seconds if you have eyes that can change focus correctly. At 45km/h this results in travelling an extra 3.75m. This is less than one car length and significantly less than the extra stopping distances involved in higher speed. I would chose to go at the speed limit and check the speedo any day.

With regards to pedestrians staying on pavements we both know that this isn't viable. YOu have kids firstly to contend with who like the idea of walking accross a nice piece of concrete. You also have the massive problem of people wanting to cross roads. THe only way to achieve what you say is to build under passes everywhere which again is not only unviable but also would cause more danger to pedestrians walking accross the road.

If you agree with good pelican crossings instead, speeding isn't a lot less wrong than running a red.

Now my rant over!

you know that advert with the if you were driving at 30 you would stop here comment ?? well its rubbish

bare with me with this but the car in that advert was a reasonably old thing with no abs system. in fact if you were driving a modern day sports car at 40 you could out stop that car in that sdvert. breaking distances vary depending on what car you drive and what the breaks are like on it. all cars should have abs as standard by law i think as safey feature.

i remember seeing a break test done bewteen 3 cars on top gear once i think one was old ford anglia one was modern normal family car and one was a porshce the difference in breaking distances was astounding.

i aint saying speed if you got good breaks i just wanted to point out the error of that advert.

2001 Punto sporting in sprint blue with matching Mr Bump air freshner all together now mmmmmmm

But it is also important to note that very few of us drive a sports car or porsche. It is also important to note that most of us drive cars with 2 discs and 2 drums both of which are fairly small. It is also important to note that ABS has very little effect except on slippery surfaces such as leaf grease on the road.

Again, only recently have cars been getting ABS as standard despite the technology existing for some time because of cost and only limited use.

Also, that car in the advert is fairly representative of an average car in this country. Depending where you live the average quality of car might be better.

Until we all drive cars with 4 huge disc brakes, ABS, brake assist and a number of other systems that various marque's shout about that isn't part of the argument.

Unfortunately ABS isn't the answer.

its not the answer to speeding i know i just wanted to point out the stopping distance thing varies hugely.

like i said in one of my earlier posts i have been known to speed and i do get annoyed at slow drivers that hold me up( slow as in slower than speed limit). i dont mean to it just happens. i dont get road rage but will deffentily mumble to myslef when i sit behind em lol. excessive speeding is bad but so is usuing the cameras to make money out of it.

i guess there is no answer to speeding and i honestly belive that no matter what the goverment/police do speeding will never ever stop. the only way it will is if they can control our cars. and even then people will find away.

to me drinking and driving is soooooooo bad yet a lil speding dont bother me ???? its strange i cant explain it.

2001 Punto sporting in sprint blue with matching Mr Bump air freshner all together now mmmmmmm

That's because you are were brought up being told it was wrong and I think there will be more of a social change against speeding in the future. I hope anyway.

yeah you could be right im 28 now and i can remeber the clunk click every trip adverts i remember thinking thats unfair making you wear ya seatbelt . but now i allways do it feels wierd with no seatbelt.same with the drink dive thing can remember start of that advert range.

Only time will tell. I missed them all but was brought into a society that I guess took these two things as second nature.

Maybe they are going about the speed thing badly? I think if they increased the speed limits on roads that can take it (i.e. motorways) more people would be willing to keep to them on slower roads? Hmm, i don't know.

Maybe the only way to do it is to have electronic limiters!

Originally posted by pghstochaj
They were before my time and I just wear a seatbelt because I was told to as a child. Again, I can't imagine not wearing a seatbelt. Once when waiting for a bus I had a look and was suprised at the time how many weren't wearing seatbelts. Out of memory about 1/5 or so car drivers weren't.

I don't understand how you can get into a car and not put on a seatbelt, surely it is as basic as getting your seat into a usable position.

I guess it is there choice because driving without a seatbelt is unlikely to have an affect on any one else.

Well. Let me say this. If I some years ago didn't wear my seat belt (and my 3 passengers as well) I wouldn't be writing in this forum.

And...
I wouldn't met my beatiful woman.
I'd never met my son.

Life is good so don't waste yours or other's. Don't speed - imagine taking the life of a child.

[xx(]

Morten.

abarth alloys, steering wheel. inter alloy lowering. phoenix gold audio. refurnish.

projects: induction. seats. exhaust. tinting.

I agree that it's just plain habit to get in a car and put on the seatbelt. It's not true to say that you're the only person affected by not wearing it either - my pet hate is parents who let their kids bounce around the backseat without restraint because of the risk to them. Fair enough if the parents want to risk their ow lives but theyare also resposible for the lives of their children and gggrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Also a comment on stopping distances - ABS can still occasionally lock up so best not t test it to it's limits or slippery surfaces where you have no grip anywhere and unless there has been some advancement in neurosurgery, it doesn't help with thinking time which will be the same whether you have ABS fitted or not.

I also think it's true that the UK is becoming more anti-speeding and will continue to do so over the next few years with more ads and cameras. I mean even 5 years ago, ok, the police would stop you if you were doing silly speeds but on the whole nobody cared. Now there's a backlash but I think in time people who have always known it will just accept it and us old fogies will be seen as whingers who put kids lives in danger.

Just to answer Pauls Q, no I have never had a speeding ticket, although I know I've triggered cameras on at least 2 occasions (one on a motorway, one on a wide straight road in the middle of nowhere in the early hours of the morning). I am like you Paul and spend an awful lot of time watching my speedo in town.

<font color="violet">
. o O Helz O o .

Proud owner of a silver Baby Brava with a Smiley air freshener​
</font id="violet">

Well the reason I don`t speed is not because of a social conscience......I find that increasingly hard to maintain, but because I don`t want the points on my licence or the fine!!!!!
There are some places you can still have fun, try going up to the North of Scotland as far away as you can...the roads are deserted up there.
What really gets my back up are those drivers who just can`t wait to get past you on the roads and they overtake you just for the pleasure of being in front,I think it`s the old scenario of my cars faster than yours. I do think the Law sets the limits wrongly sometimes and this can work both ways to.
By the way I have been driving 32 years and covered millions of miles without ever commiting a traffic offence( TOUCH WOOD)
Drive responsibly for everyone`s sake.

Couple of things come to mind for me when considering speeding and the car I drive. I drive a little Cinq. It has standard brakes and naff tyres. The car hates 30mph. In all honesty, anyone that has driven/drives a Cinq will agree. It's too fast to cruise at 30 in 3rd and too slow for 4th. Therefore, muchos speedo watching is required. The great thing about my car is that I can have my foot to the floor and still struggle to match the limit on some roads. If we REALLY want to combat speeding, all cars should be limited to say 90mph...but obviously, this will never be the case!

Sie

Black 96P Cinq Sporting

electronic limiters would be lethal, imagine you are trundling along at your 30mph on a big wide open road. All of a sudden some berk pulls out in front of you in your direction of travel. There is no way you can avoid a collision as you are so close so you swerve and attempt to accelerate past him/her. Trouble is someone is coming the other way and the only way to get round the guy your passing without colliding with the approaching car is to accelerate.... but you cant cos your limiter is stopping you! Great idea. I am so glad I am 36 and have had at least some years of relative freedom in this mad world, by the time you get to have lots of kidddies who will be even more in favour of a nanny state we wont be able to breathe without some sort of legislation.

So you want less legislation? SPeed all you want? I asked before, do you have kids,if so, would you be happy if someone doing 35 ran them over? no!
Electronic limiters could be a good thing and it wouldn't be as simple as you say. It could rely on allowing you to do over the speed limit but for a short period of time for instance. Or every time you speed it could log it. COnstant speeders could therefore be punished where as when you just speed to get out of danger etc. you will be let off. This is in the most simplistic form.

A much more useful system would be a tamper-proof audible warning. If you drive over the speed limit it should let off a beeping noise that doesn't stop until you slow down. They have this available on some cars in Australia at least.

We should have it.

Oh and there is no connection between a "nanny state" and keeping to 30 limits.

WIthout basic rules such as this we would be living in anarchy at that idiot who just sped past you missing you by inches could never be caught because he isn't breaking the law.

Asking people to stick to 30mph isn't exactly a huge thing is it?!

I ask again, how important must you be to think that you are allowed to go at 35 miles per hour, 5mph of which could be the difference between someone you hit living and dying? Think about it.

we do have freedom. Just a shame that some people abuse their freedom. It's only the minority of stupid drivers that do this, ie. "super reps and (generally speaking) BMW drivers". But these people never get fined or points on their licence for not using their mirrors or not indicating[:(!]

Sie

Black 96P Cinq Sporting

Thats the thing that really f***s me off: there are far more serious driving "crimes" than breaking the poxy speed limit!
If you do 100mph on an empty motorway on a clear night in a modern car, who gets hurt? Nobody!
If, on the other hand, you're a little sales rep/junior exec **** in his company car (usually a 316i "Tossermobile") who sits on tailgates in a 40 limit whilst yapping into his mobile, and overtakes into oncoming traffic, there's a very good chance that you or someone else will be injured/killed.

------/F/I/A/T/------

Fart In A Tin
<font color="orange">1994 Punto 55SX, metallic red, small, Italian and beautiful! </font id="orange">

I don't think many of us disagree that a 70 limit is too slow on the motorway (my feelings are that there should be changable limits set up by electronic signs but maybe that is too complicated for Joe Bloggs!). However, we are really talking about 30 zones where people can and DO get hurt, thousands a year.

Back