Speed cameras

Currently reading:
Speed cameras

The data I am working from is based on a working standard speedo, if yours is faulty/playing up then it may be worth getting it sorted/replaced because there is no point in driving around paranoid.

Rather not have 3 points really

How would you get done though?
If your speedo reads 70 and the signs say 70 then you will not get done.
If plod were to pull you & claimed you were driving much faster, an independant verification would show that the speedo on your car was either wayward or accurate - and if your speedo happened to be lazy - how can you get done for this since you would have no way of knowing?

How would you get done though?
If your speedo reads 70 and the signs say 70 then you will not get done.
If plod were to pull you & claimed you were driving much faster, an independant verification would show that the speedo on your car was either wayward or accurate - and if your speedo happened to be lazy - how can you get done for this since you would have no way of knowing?

Dunno sorry better safe than sorry

This is laughable!

Dunno sorry better safe than sorry

That would be not exceeding the speed limit then, no need to do 10mph less through a speed camera.

If you think your car is over reading my 10mph at 70 then why do you think it's ok to drive a that indicated speed except through cameras?

There's a longish stretch of average cameras on my commute, 60mph, I can get through at 65 on the speedo since it overreads so I'm still doing a true 59/60. However I've still had people up my arse, some are lucky and turn off once they've only passed a single camera so tend to ignore the limit.

Edit: even when I had 14"s on the Speedo was a lot more accurate but still under read 2/3mph

Last edited:
Slightly off topic but I have a question!

Does a gatso style camera still work if there is no white measurement lines on the road? As in when the road has been resurfaced and yet to be repainted? Are the lines on the road the only method of calculating speed?

Does a gatso style camera still work if there is no white measurement lines on the road? As in when the road has been resurfaced and yet to be repainted? Are the lines on the road the only method of calculating speed?

Will still work lines or no lines, lines on road are only secondary check markings.

The camera itself doesn't use the lines - as MEP said, it's for secondary verification

As far as I understand the white lines calibrate that the cameras speed checker works properly, as they are prone to be unreliable. If you were to get caught without white lines how would they verify that the camera itself was accurate? Or would that be a loop hole to get out of it?

As far as I understand the white lines calibrate that the cameras speed checker works properly, as they are prone to be unreliable. If you were to get caught without white lines how would they verify that the camera itself was accurate? Or would that be a loop hole to get out of it?

I've heard a couple of cases where upon inspection of the photo it was found that the car wasn't speeding. Think one was in Holland...a flying duck had triggered the camera.

In another (British) case, a chap managed to prove he wasn't speeding by doing speed, distance, time using the lines. And I also remember one chap who ended up getting his car tested on a rolling road to prove that it couldn't reach the speed he'd been clocked at.

These were a few years ago, and I can't remember much more about them

Back