Speed cameras

Currently reading:
Speed cameras

:yeahthat: they always read fast, newer ones are more accurate than older cars but they all read fast. Only way they wouldn't is by putting larger than stock rolling radius wheel & tyre combo on a car but that often corrects it rather than making it read slow....

My old alfa 159 was pretty accurate but was about 2-3mph off what GPS said, my cinq says 100mph when your really just over 80mph.
Manufacturers generally take the wheel/tyre combination with the largest rolling radius and calibrate as accurately to that as they can. Other wheel/tyre options may give smaller rolling radii, so giving a higher speed reading. Mostly you will find that the smallest to largest will be within the 10% allowed, so only one calibration per model. Years ago it was common to have a different speed drive gear for steel or alloy wheels on the same model.
Often the base model, with higher profile wheel/tyre will give the most accurate speed reading of the range.

How do you know it isn't. ;)
It would need to have a transmitter inside and a SIM for the mobile phone network. Can't see Navman paying for that for every unit. And for how long, and for what purpose?

today driving down the A465 that i mentioned before in this thread that has average speed check on it. I did notice that some sections start with single lane and end in dual lanes and vice versa, for them to work at all scout has to be right.
There must be a reasonable amount of leeway on these average speed cameras. For instance, the ones on the M60 between J24 and J25 include quite a significant right hand bend over a fairly short distance. I don't have figures but driving in lane 3 must be a shorter distance than lane 1 therefore, even if the cameras are aimed at slightly different points to allow for a shorter or longer distance between start and finish of the limit, what happens if you start in lane 1 then move to lane 3 in order to overtake?

My speedo is +/- 10mph inaccurate, the faster you are, the more inaccurate, I usually have to guess with the rev counter (since I know my car that well), which for some reason has been funny lately.
Either way, when I see a camera, if my speedo is at 70 for example, and the limit is 70, I'll slow down 60.

I also would think most people who have working speedos will slow down when they see a camera regardless of their speed just to make sure

I think you're being unnecessarily cautious and I've seen a lot of near misses and one shunt caused by ****s hitting the brakes when they see a Police car on the side of the road!

I get to drive a lot of motors and have tested most of their speedos with 2 different GPS systems (I know it's not scientific), and at an indicated digital speed of 125kmh (on Audi, Mercedes, Renault and Porsches) the GPS shows a consistent 117-118kmh.

Here in Cyprus the highway limit is 100kmh but they don't ever stop you at 119, at 120-124 you get stopped and fined but no points, 125 and above you're getting points, at 50% over any limit you're in court. At 125kmh on the cruise control I don't ever touch my brakes when I see a radar trap.

Having said that the cruise is superb and holds to +/- 1kmh on the above cars, on my 500L Trekking it goes up and down like a pair of whore's drawers!

My speedo is +/- 10mph inaccurate, the faster you are, the more inaccurate, I usually have to guess with the rev counter (since I know my car that well), which for some reason has been funny lately.
Either way, when I see a camera, if my speedo is at 70 for example, and the limit is 70, I'll slow down 60.

I also would think most people who have working speedos will slow down when they see a camera regardless of their speed just to make sure

And that sort of action can cause havoc on a busy motorway.
If the limit is 70 and your speedo is reading 70 then stay at that speed - I very much doubt any court in the land could/would convict you of speeding since the ONLY way you know how fast you are going is based on an instrument installed by the manufacturer.

Bad driving, if the limit is clearly signed along the road & your speedo says you are travelling at that limit, there is no need to take any sort of action.

It may have been a few decades back when I learned to drive but my instructor always advised to keep the needle just below the speed mark - as long as you can see the line on the speedo.

+ any mph on a speedo is BS. The spec +0/-10% (most are even better than that). That means if you haven't changed the rolling radius of your wheels you will NEVER be going more than 70mph if the speedo is reading 70mph. To then slow to 60mph (in a 70mph limit) at the sight of a speed camera is just madness as your inviting a rear end shunt.

Last edited:
+ any mph on a speedo is BS. The spec +0/-10% (most are even better than that). That means if you haven't changed the rolling radius of your wheels you will NEVER be going more than 70mph if the speedo is reading 70mph. To then slow to 60mph (in a 70mph limit) at the sight of a speed camera is just madness as your inviting a rear end shunt.

Rather not have 3 points really

Kyle,

If you haven't changed your wheels (rolling radius) then when your speedo is showing 70mph you're more than likely only doing 65mph anyway.

Have you got a sat nav? Set it up and get to car to a steady 70mph on the speedo and see what the sat nav says you're going.

Dom

So you'd rather have 6+ points for dangerous driving instead then? Because that's what would happen if you cause an accident.

If your doing an indicated 70mph in a 70mph zone you won't get any points because your actually doing about 67mph. (check it on a GPS speed device ;) )

So you'd rather have 6+ points for dangerous driving instead then? Because that's what would happen if you cause an accident.

If your doing an indicated 70mph in a 70mph zone you won't get any points because your actually doing about 67mph. (check it on a GPS speed device ;) )

Isn't it 10 present Lee way anyway? So the limit would be 77? I've never really known

So actual cameras are set dead on to the limit? And aye I can't imagine the typical policeman round here to listen to that haha

No, they will be set to whatever the force chooses to, it could be 70 all the way upto 77.

Seriously, go for a drive with your sat nav on and check the accuracy of the speedo. (y)

Dom

No, they will be set to whatever the force chooses to, it could be 70 all the way upto 77.

Seriously, go for a drive with your sat nav on and check the accuracy of the speedo. (y)

Dom

Ahh I see thanks for clearing that up for me.

And it varys I don't really want to get into it especially on this forum as I could say what the speedo actually does and if it doesn't conform to someones logic on here then I must be lying.

Same as to why 5th gear has randomly dropped 500 revs recently, I'm apparently seeing things

Ahh I see thanks for clearing that up for me.

And it varys I don't really want to get into it especially on this forum as I could say what the speedo actually does and if it doesn't conform to someones logic on here then I must be lying.

Same as to why 5th gear has randomly dropped 500 revs recently, I'm apparently seeing things

There's usually an explanation for everything, come on. (y)

Dom

Back