Speed cameras

Currently reading:
Speed cameras

Thanks for telling me erratic driving will get me points :s
I didn't know that, how will I ever drive again

With such a blasé attitude towards the risk you pose by braking unnecessarily, hopefully you won't...

Unfortunately, we (as a forum) get an awful lot of new drivers thinking they know best. So, yes, we can get a little sharp!
A look around will show that on the whole, this is a friendly forum! Just remember, upto 80% of meaning is lost in written form when compared to face-to-face

Don't worry mate I would have thought most would see that I'm just having banter I just find it funny how most on here will take any chance they get to correct you and point out your flaws usually in a rather snooty attitude

My post #29 was accurate and a bit of advice, your the one that got antsy about it so got corrected. "Don't shoot the messenger" springs to mind. The fact that you slow down for speed cameras is asking for trouble and will get you more points than speeding. If your going the correct speed then there is no need to slow down. I do agree that we all probably check our speed when we see a speed camera (to not do so is asking for points ;) ) but if I'm on the limit (On my speedo) I don't slow down and others would not expect you to slow much either, hence the potential for a rear end shunt which if the following car had a camera would be your fault (Unless they were too close in the first place).

Oh, and no it didn't come across as banter but an arrogant youngster that thinks he knows it all and won't listen to reason. Now we know that's not the case as you've explained that you were trying to, I assume, wind us up. Sorry but I don't find safety on the roads funny and neither do a fair few others on here.

Stay safe, get some experience but most of all enjoy your driving (y)

My post #29 was accurate and a bit of advice, your the one that got antsy about it so got corrected. "Don't shoot the messenger" springs to mind. The fact that you slow down for speed cameras is asking for trouble and will get you more points than speeding. If your going the correct speed then there is no need to slow down. I do agree that we all probably check our speed when we see a speed camera (to not do so is asking for points ;) ) but if I'm on the limit (On my speedo) I don't slow down and others would not expect you to slow much either, hence the potential for a rear end shunt which if the following car had a camera would be your fault (Unless they were too close in the first place).

Oh, and no it didn't come across as banter but an arrogant youngster that thinks he knows it all and won't listen to reason. Now we know that's not the case as you've explained that you were trying to, I assume, wind us up. Sorry but I don't find safety on the roads funny and neither do a fair few others on here.

Stay safe, get some experience but most of all enjoy your driving (y)

Yes that's all fine and well it's just like I said seems like everyone will try and blast their experience and knowledge that they think they have, or might genuinely have on people they know they can pick on. It doesn't bother me really as I know myself I'm a safe and considerate driver especially compared to the majority of road users however most will just read that and think I'm another 'youngster' that thinks he knows everything

I'll admit though, i changed a lot after my first propper bump (no other cars involved) maybe it's true what they say, you don't become a good driver until your first crash

maybe it's true what they say, you don't become a good driver until your first crash

As with most things when youth/inexperience is involved people don't listen to good advice until they need it. (This could also apply to old/experienced too, so just people in general really ;) )

My daughter has just passed her test (17) and she has been given the use of a Classic (1986) Panda. Yesterday she stalled it and although she had been told how to start a semi warm choked engine she failed to take it in/remember. She was stuck on the entrance to a roundabout at rush hour in our town. I was able to get to her and show her again how to start a semi warm engine. I can guarantee that she will never forget how to do it in the future and not because I shouted at her (because I didn't) but because she can now see why she was given the information in the first place.

Last edited:
It's different starting a warm engine compared to a cold? I've stalled before, like anyone else and simply turned the car back on

Very different with a choke, modern cars have an 'auto' choke that is controlled by the ECU taking readings from various sensors to ensure perfect starting every time. With a manual choke that adjustment is done by the driver using experience (& failing that listening to someone with experience). If you ever get the chance try driving an 'old' car, no auto choke, no abs, no power steering, no electric anything, just you the car and the road.

its the old, mechanical way to have a richer fuel mixture when the engine is cold.. Modern injection cars use electronics for this ;)

Although not all old cars have a manual choke, I've had a few classic beetles in my time and even really old ones have a automatic choke (of sorts).

Last edited:
Back