Technical Part number please

Currently reading:
Technical Part number please

The thing I hated most was when a customer had a list, but would not let you see it. So you had to look p one part at a time, traipse the length of the warehouse and back, then look up the next. Let us have the whole list in one go, one walk, much quicker. We used to increase the prices for those people, adding an extra percentage point for every trip.
Absolutely, didn't mind doing the lists as such if we were not stacked out, used to love the banter and would get us a couple of coffees on the go but it got boringly predicable because you would supply all of the prices, get the lead times for delivery the customer would go away and get a combination of second hand and spurious bits themselves then come back to you for every little clip and fastener and washer and spend about 20 quid on an enquiry you priced up at about £4K....
All part of the fun I guess, I got into the habit of taking the lists and phoning them back with the prices.

The thing I hated most was when a customer had a list, but would not let you see it. So you had to look p one part at a time, traipse the length of the warehouse and back, then look up the next. Let us have the whole list in one go, one walk, much quicker. We used to increase the prices for those people, adding an extra percentage point for every trip.
Oh and don't get me started on going above and beyond the call of duty as a parts guy, fiat panda master cylinder is the classic I remember, never ever again did I help anybody out to that extent again, ever, or the pensioner with the Audi 100 that nearly cost me my job. A couple for the leisure lounge one day maybe. I think I've gone off topic here 😬

The good old days when you could actually talk to someone who was willing to help. Seriously lacking these days.
Mind you I still remember the day I stopped bending over backwards to help customers when I was in the dealership, give them an inch and they will take a million miles, two cases actually, helping out with sob stories only to have the urine extracted with disastrous results. Never again.
I think it was far easier for the parts man to sell one complete carb than traipse about looking for individual parts that may or may not be correct. If I had been in Bro's situation, a complete new carb would have been the first option with a good used one in second place. Worn carburettors almost never work well, no matter how hard you try to repair them.

Back