Technical Part recommendation

Currently reading:
Technical Part recommendation

Pepandaros

Hi all,

I recently have replaced the radiator thermostat and the metal tube in front of the engine on my 1.2.
The tube is branded "orginal birth" and it didn't fit well, the welded on bracket was easily adjusted but the tube with seal was not a tight fit in the engine so I used silicone to get it sealed. It was fine for around 1000 miles and it just started leaking.
Back then I didn't had the time to reorder so had to fit it but now I will just get another tube and would like to hear what brands others have used without any issues?

I've used quite a few Original Birth coolant pipes (10+) over the last few years and not had a problem with them, either with sealing or dimensions. Before that I used genuine FIAT ones, and they were very similar, but 3 times the price, and often on back-order.
I was once supplied with one from a brand I didn't recognise which just didn't fit, but I didn't order it (arrived with the car) so I installed an Original Birth one instead. I left the dodgy one in the boot - it's probably still there!
Unless you've mangled it, I would contact the supplier and ask for options.

I have used original birth and S4P sold me a thermostat on the basis that Original birth carried a no quibble gurantee. Have you thought of returning this part?

OB are a very big aftermarket supplier and should probably be helpful. If you dont report faults they cant sort it and wont check the specifications.

I read on here some time ago that someone had the same problem, they ended up cutting the ends off both pipes and welding the old end onto the new pipe.
It was an original birth I fitted to our Becky - supplied by S4p - and if anything it was a very tight fit into the back of the water pump. Been in there a few years now and still no leaks. I'm wondering if you got it pushed fully home? A good indicator is if the wee retaining bracket, the one which is secured to the front of the block with a wee 6mm bolt - didn't line up and you had to bend it slightly to get the bolt hole to line up. I've never had one where this bracket was welded on in the wrong place.

If you bought it from S4P I'd recommend you give them a ring. you'll find them very keen to help and they'll be concerned and keen to sort out any problems for you.

OB are a quality brand

No idea what went wrong
Could have an after market water pump
Could be a fail on fit part
Could be a fake part
Could be a damaged sealing ring

With out being there it's impossible to say

I alway measure everything against the original, before fitting

At least I know if it does not fit as the original it's something I have done wrong

Last edited:
OB are a quality brand
The first Original Birth branded part I bought was from S4p and when I took it out of it's packaging I thought "Original Birth, Oh I don't like the look of that!" however I've had a number of original birth branded stuff from S4p and I'd agree with you, quality has been very good and I'd be very happy to buy more.

Could have an after market water pump, except this pipe goes into the back of the engine block casting - water pump bolts into the other side so, "smart ass me" would point out that the pump shouldn't affect the fit of this pipe?

Could be a fail on fit part
Could be a fake part
Could be a damaged sealing ring
Aye, any of the above

Very good advice to always compare to the removed part.

Talking about knowing if it's something you've done, I always like to do a whole vehicle scan before I start a service so that, when I've finished, if it's throwing up fault codes that weren't there when I started, then it's got to be "butter fingers" at fault!

Many thanks for all your response!
I fully agree, I would have liked to be able to compare the diameter of the orginal tube and the aftermarked one but the seal was stuck in the engine block after removal of the tube. As it was damaged there was no change to reuse so I removed it and cleaned the surface. The orginal birth tube came with the seal fitted and it didn't come off easily enough to check and compare the diameter of the tube itself. As it was a very loose fit in the engine (and no time to order a replacement) I decided to go ahead with some silicone sealant which has been fine up to earlier this week.

It sounds like orginal birth has a good reputation regarding quality, perhaps it's bad luck and mine came with a undersized seal fitted..

I replaced my pipe last year, and had a real struggle.
The first Birth pipe supplied by S4P would not line up at all. The bracket has been welded on slightly wrong, so its face will never sit flat to the block. Took a bit of fierce sweating and swearing before realising it was wrong. Due to the shape, it is very difficult to compare with an old one.
S4P supplied a replacement, which was definitely a better shape. Still a fierce struggle to fit though.
It needs to be pushed very hard into the block behind the pump, but due to its shape, there's no straight push. I split a length of plastic water pipe, to push over the outside, and bear against the flange of the metal pipe at the block. Once the length of this was adjusted, I could use a jubilee clip to hold it on, and lever against it with a piece of wood.
Holding it in the right place while the little bolt is fitted is also difficult, as you are juggling the pressure on the pipe, while trying to prevent it rotating, and try to see the bolt hole. I used a new bolt, cut its head off to make a threaded rod (stud). Screwed it inot the block with a dob of loctite, so now as the pipe lines up, it slips onto the stud and you can relax. Fitting the washer an dnut is then easy.
No leaks.
A little silicone grease on the seal helped it fit in the block, but any sealer will impede its fit and function.

My original pipe was only lightly rusty. It would have been easier to rub it down and repaint it in situ. I guess it is easier when the engine is on the bench, with the manifold off. At one point, I was tempted to remove the manifold.

Back