General panda sporting

Currently reading:
General panda sporting

Took my dad to Ancaster in Welling last week. He wanted to trade his Punto 1.2 in for another one, I told him to buy the Panda Sporting. Ten minutes later, he was convinced and is now awaiting delivery of a red one minus the stripes which look incredibly naff. Specced up a Dynamic but there was so little in it and he liked the 4x4 spec interior so the Sporting won the day. Gonna treat him to a 90bhp Angel remap!! LOL

PS: Ugly Duckling - whats the issue with the diesel then?

My Punto 1.9 HGT Multijet knocks the crap out of a 1.8HGT in real world driving - I know because I've owned both and with 230lbft has more power than a Porsche Boxster!!

The 1.3MJ is probably the best engine Fiat make - totally tractable and with 107lbft is nice and pokey and is the best engine by far for the Panda. If they fitted them to the 4x4 I'd buy one like a shot!!

Re: New Ltd Edition Panda Sporting

what would be sooooooooooooooo wrong with putting the 1.4 punto sporting engine in it? (and lowering it) (and putting some decent width wheels on) and....

Re: New Ltd Edition Panda Sporting

Lorddean said:
what would be sooooooooooooooo wrong with putting the 1.4 punto sporting engine in it? (and lowering it) (and putting some decent width wheels on) and....

Fiat don't need to be pulling sales away from the Punto with a direct competetor in the Panda range. With the rubbish petrols the Punto Grande get's, it'll be a while before anything more enthusiastic, on the petrol front, than the 1.2 8v motor gets under the bonnet of a Panda. Likewise, the Panda won't get the 1.3 m-jet 90bhp coming with the Grande.

i dont think you could call the panda a direct competitor to the punto, with the 1.4 the performance would probably be good enough to label it an abarth or hgt (OR whatever), they'd be economical, fast, and most importantly DIFFERENT! As long as fiat are actually SELLING cars what does it matter which model it is? i'd certainly buy a panda before a punto now on the grounds that it's ultimatlely a newer, better car, which fiat should be proud of. they should really let it shine rather than burying it with crap warmed over special editions.

Honda incidently did the same thing by not importing the integra type r, saying it would take away sales from the civic. :confused: what does it matter, YOU'RE STILL SELLING CARS! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

rant over... :D

Lorddean

It makes a hell of a difference when;

a) You have fields full of Punto's you need to sell but nobody wants

b) The manufacturering is set-up to build said Punto's, not Panda's (they are built in different countries; you don't just stop making one and make more of the other. If only life were this simple... :eek: )

c) You have to prove a business case for the expenditure required to develop a Panda 1.4 16v. This may only be feasible once Fiat get's good pay-back on the Panda (which it is on the way to doing), but not at present with Punto Mk2.5 on the market (the business case will need to reflect the negative effect on sales a Panda HGT/ Abarth/ whatever will have on the Punto Sporting)

Lorddean said:
i dont think you could call the panda a direct competitor to the punto

and...

Lorddean said:
i'd certainly buy a panda before a punto now on the grounds that it's ultimatlely a newer, better car, which fiat should be proud of.

You have contridicted your own point ;) Others will think like you, and therefore the Panda WILL therefore steal sales from the Punto. Fiat don't want that.

Lorddean said:
Honda incidently did the same thing by not importing the integra type r, saying it would take away sales from the civic. :confused: what does it matter, YOU'RE STILL SELLING CARS! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

rant over... :D

They couldn't get the business case for type-approval to stack-up. The cost of making the Integra Euro-friendly meant they couldn't make it worthwhile with the expected sales. One of the benefits of good business sense like this is that in the current dubious financial climate for most car manufactures is not a problem for Honda; they are still in rude-health.

Making what people want and what you can make money on are two different things ;)

i didnt know that about the integra, info i heard was as i said they didn't want to take civic sales (making it look less favourable to the focus etc). with a 20k price tag they would have sold bludy loads of the things, never mind.

Ultimalely i cant argue with what you're saying, its just irritating knowing how good things could be but they're not. life sucks at times. :(

maybe things will be better with the 'performance' version of the new punto.... we can only hope.

wardth said:
PS: Ugly Duckling - whats the issue with the diesel then?

My Punto 1.9 HGT Multijet knocks the crap out of a 1.8HGT in real world driving - I know because I've owned both and with 230lbft has more power than a Porsche Boxster!!

The 1.3MJ is probably the best engine Fiat make - totally tractable and with 107lbft is nice and pokey and is the best engine by far for the Panda. If they fitted them to the 4x4 I'd buy one like a shot!!

They stink, and are noisey. There are a few other minor drawbacks too. The torque (not power) would be nice though.

The Ugly Duckling said:
They stink, and are noisey.

So how did you work that out? :confused: The diesel is cleaner and has lower emissions than the petrol... This is recognised by the Government with a lower tax band than all the petrols! (y) Perhaps you should check out a NEW diesel engine. They're a much cleaner beast than the old. :D

Most modern diesel engines are now clean & have shrouds over them to cut down noise levels, but the fiat 1.3 mjet must be one of the best diesel engines in the world & definately the best Fiat make.

The Multi Jet is not just a Diesel. It is the best iesel on the market. Even the Volkswagen group acknowledges that as do the German car testers.
The Multi Jet is not only more powerful and cleaner than its predecessors but also much less noisy. They do not only inject fuel once every cicle rather then a dozend times to get emission and fuel consumption lower, the torque and peak power up and last but not least to make them much quieter.

Power is great in any case with 70bhp for a Diesel engine having just under 1250cc. The torquier 70 bhp Punto is on the market, the 90bhp version is already in the Astra and will be soon in the new Fiats and a 120bhp version will come. The Diesels are great and still getting better. Even if refuelling is a bit more messy you only see the petrol station half the time than with a petrol engine. And they smell too.

well i've ordered a panda sporting - i'm getting one for £7,995 after the dealer matched an online quote and they're removing the stripes (of course!)

so disregarding the fact that the 'sporting' moniker is meaningless, im still getting a mutijet with bodykit, metallic paint, fog lights, alloys, chrome exhaust etc for the same as the nominal listed price of the basic version without any of these extras.

despite the criticism of the model on here, this particular deal is pretty much a no-brainer :)

Can't add aircon or any option to the Sporting. It is pretty basic apart from the styling and the engine. However I like the leather steering wheel.

Bought a new Eleganza Dualogic last month for £7990 with fog light & mat from our local dealer. It was a bit more when compared with the internet broker (£7575) but the service and the delivery arrangement was better, as least I didn't need to travel a long distance to collect the car, consider the train fare and the time saved.

hope you're enjoying your eleganza big ben - we test drove one a few months back and loved it....but were always leaning towards the multijet for the fuel economy and performance of the engine.

i have to disagree with you tho on the sporting being basic specced - apart from not having aircon (which is a shame), the other options that we would have added (alloys, metallic paint, fog lights, cd player, leather wheel) are already there as standard...and the styling kit (stripes removed) makes a nice variation from the standard.

will post a pic or two when we take delivery.

well we've now had our panda sporting, minus the ugly stripes, for two weeks and (of course!) its bloody great.

fuel economy is as stated - we're doing most short urban runs and averaging about 60mpg! performance is good,lot of pull from the engine even at crazily low revs! gearchange itself is fantastic - sweet and sure.

build quality seems good - chunky leather steering wheel nice to use, chrome exhuast,alloys and front fogs add a little extra to the car too.

no problems at all to report - very, very happy owners :)

few pics below.

Attachments

• pandasporting_above.jpg
    pandasporting_above.jpg
    683.4 KB · Views: 48
  • pandasporting_rear.jpg
    pandasporting_rear.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 37
  • pandasporting_side1.jpg
    pandasporting_side1.jpg
    673.4 KB · Views: 46
  • pandasporting_front.jpg