P141109_14.00[01].JPG

Punto (Mk2/2b) Out with the old, in with the new (my punto mk2a progress thread).

Introduction

unfortunatly on fri 13th of all days i crashed my car :(
in the wet.
i wasnt speeding but the back end slid out as i was leavin a corner(bend in the road).
tryed controling it but it started snakin.managed to avoid all the oncoming traffick.but hit a parked car with the side of mine wich caterpulted me into the curb witch ripped the tire off the rim and that spun me into a 360 spin wich i managed to controle as the back end was lifting up i stopped it from roling onto the roof.im well gutted
i realy am devistated as id just got it to look how i wanted it.
but it could have been a lot worse. i could have hit the oncoming cars or roled it but i manged to avoid both with quick thinking.
i was unhurt. just realy shook up. (n)
Re: Out with the old, in with the new (my punto mk2a progress thread)

orderd dtm mirror base plates from car craft today. so they will have them for me mid week :D

lastnyt decided to put the parcel shelf speakers in that i had on old punto. shame its a diffrent shape lol. so had to cut etc all over again. but done a better job on this one.
put pics up tomorrow.

got a spare £40 today but thing is im in 3 minds wat to do.

a) get used tyres (baring in mind thread mite be low and most probs be different make tyres and different thread pattern

b) get one new tyre and get a new tyre every time i have spare money (will take longer to get the alloys on but at least the tyres will last and be same make

c) buy the paint to colour code my dtms, black bumper strip, door handles and maby get some eyelids and cc them to.

im realy putting off gettin used tyres now. had a long hard think about it which did hurt lol.

wich option to go far i just cant decide so any help off you guys would be grate :D

i say get the paint while waiting to get some money 4 tyres

lol im thinking tyres as all the work i put in alloys and there just sat in bed room lol. and its wat will give the car the biggest look change lol.
il get a new tyre every time i get spare money. but also get the paints whilst im doing this.

dtm base plates have arrived. dtm mirrors fit snug in them :D but on the sticker on the box it say fiat punto 3door 96- 2001. so now im confused if it will fit my car. i know mine is 2000 but looking at the sticker i cant help think they are for a mk1.

on the subject does anyone have a pic of what the base plates should look like? or even a pic of the mirrors on a punto 3door. so i can see if the base plates the same?

took th base plates back and asked them to order the newer plates they sell (2002 onwards). so we will see what happens later this week

f****ng carcraft dont have the base plate so had to give me money back. just my luck that is. out on the hunt againnnnnn(n)

About your alloys: Did you follow that guide exact? Or what sandpaper you use? I want to spray mine in white if I keep my black car!
I take it you don't need the high temperature paint on alloys?

Just need to decide which type of paint I prefer then! :D
Cheers

About your alloys: Did you follow that guide exact? Or what sandpaper you use? I want to spray mine in white if I keep my black car!

Cheers

i used cheep wilkinsons brown colourd sandpaper at very rough grade of 60 first then 100 just to get the paint off. then used halfords (black paper in yellow packet 4 sheets in each pack)wet and dry grade 400 then 600 then 1000 for the smooth finish. then used gray primer which will be best for you as your spraying white id imagine. then spray on the paint.

spray the primer a very light coat and let dry 10mins, spray on another coat and let dry for 45mins then do exactly same with the paint. i only used to coats of primer and paint on each wheel. used 2x 300ml tins of primer and 2x 500ml tins of sattin matt black paint. didnt use high temp. no need for it.

Cheers

i didn't follow a guid. just asked a mate for tips lol. but everthing i said is what i did. other than clean the wheel before sanding. and also keep all dust off when sanding as much as you can. before spraying get all dust off them.do one wheel at a time. i was buisy all week doing them. sand one wheel one night then primer and paint next day then that night sand, spray next day and sand......

Ahh! Thats great cheers, Might save me some money rather than paying to have them powder coated! You'll have to keep us updated once you have them on the car, some websites say unless it's a powder coat the paint can easily chip off

Ahh! Thats great cheers, Might save me some money rather than paying to have them powder coated! You'll have to keep us updated once you have them on the car, some websites say unless it's a powder coat the paint can easily chip off

even if it does chip easy its cheep just to respray back over it lol. with you spraying white if you going gloss white put some liqure on it that will help protect it better :D

lol I don't think alcohol will help it! Might try some lacquer instead :p

Not sure if to go for gloss or not yet, I might have a look online and see the differences between types of paint now actually!

Ye gloss looks nice! I saw a civic the other day with white alloys and blue wheel nuts! Looked really nice, anyone know if you can buy coloured ones or if you can just paint them? I imagine the paint would be damaged everytime you take the wheel off though

Ye gloss looks nice! I saw a civic the other day with white alloys and blue wheel nuts! Looked really nice, anyone know if you can buy coloured ones or if you can just paint them? I imagine the paint would be damaged everytime you take the wheel off though

dont think the paint would damage. maby on the thread but you cant see that. just the bolt head and that wont get damaged.

forgot to mention aswell when sanding the alloys spend a good few hours on each wheel. and i mean about 3-4hours. the prep is the most important to the finish product.
when you are doing it also it wont look like your doing anything at all. thats why a few hours is important to get it right.

and id say gloss whit is the nicest white you'l get for alloys (y)

Back