Technical Oil Consumption

Currently reading:
Technical Oil Consumption

Hi all, I have a 500 sport 1.4 litre that I am very happy with. Since my last service at 8500Km's I've done around 1200Km's. After checking the oil yesterday I had to add around 250ml to get the level back up to the max mark on the dip stick. Is this normal?? The handbook says it can use up too 400grams per 1000Km's in the early stages of the engines life. How much is 400grams of oil in litres? My car has done 10000Km's. Will the consumption improve or is the 250ml normal consumption for 1200Km's

Thanks for your help.

Our 500 1.4 has used a litre in about 5000km (3200 miles). IMO it's a lot of oil but well within tolerance, so not an issue. I've never had a new car 'use' this much oil before but there's a first time for everything!

I'm monitoring it and hope it slows as mileage increases.

Fiats use oil. Something to do with people wanting increased power, efficiency and reliability all at the same time. Should be checked monthly.

We've been religiously checking the oil every month (not something I've done before though) and my 500 hasn't needed topping up at all. It must have been topped up at the service in September I would think but my car doesn't seem to need alot of oil. Does the way you drive a car affect the oil comsumption or is it nothing to do with it?

Back