Technical Recommend engine Oil

Currently reading:
Technical Recommend engine Oil

tonnaf

Hello ,

I want to change oil for the first time that I bought fiat 1.2 / 8v / 2010 / 160000km,
please any suggestions form your experience
( not Selena oil 😊 )

Thank you

I want to change oil for the first time that I bought fiat 1.2 / 8v / 2010 / 160000km,
please any suggestions form your experience
The manufacturers recommendation is to use a 5W40 fully synthetic oil, but this engine isn't an oil sensitive design and anything that's decent will probably work just fine.

I've always believed that using a good, relatively "big name" product is never money wasted - but I always search out the deals and usually end up buying from Opie, Powerenhancer or CMG at a good disdount. Modern vehicles transmission oils are, in particular, becoming very vehicle specific so I now would only use the specific product the manufacturer of the vehicle uses. With engine oils now also becoming almost engine specific, I will always use a product which complies with the manufacturer specification, so, for instance, I use an oil to FAIT spec 95535-S2. in our 1.2 Panda. Just so happens that this is also an acceptable spec for my boy's 1.4 8valve Punto which is very convenient. Specifically, for many years now I've had excellent results using Fuchs lubricants and their Titan GT1 5w-40 now superseded by Titan GT1 Flex3 5w-40 both meet this spec and both cars have been running very happily on it for years. Their Titan GT1 Pro C-3 SEA 5W-30 meets the spec for my, just traded in Ibiza and I ran it on that oil as soon as it came out of warranty, so for the next 5 years. It's got one of the modern small capacity 3 cylinder direct injection turbo petrol engines, These type of engines have very high power outputs for their size and together with the stresses, especially thermal stresses, imposed by the turbo, they make great demands on their oil. The Ibiza performed flawlessly on it and was performing "like new" on the day I part exchanged it nearly on it's eighth birthday. The new Scala needs a 0W-20 oil to VW 508/509 which, I'm pleased to notice, has just turned up on one of my favourite suppliers websites: https://cmgoilsdirect.co.uk/product...reK2OkQjjoFTZKuCPgzN6REATChu9BO0aAjnJEALw_wcB Not cheap is it? and their prices are usually very competitive. Wonder what the dealer will charge when her service is due? By the way, for any VAG people reading this, I'm very interested in both tyres and lubricants and am continually researching info on both subjects. From what I've turned up I know, pretty much for sure, that Fuchs are now the supplier of VAG's Quantum range of engine oils and I very strongly suspect they are also a supplier of factory fill engine oils. When the Warranty ends on the Scala it'll be getting run on this.

Hope that is of interest and maybe of some help to the OP? As jrk mentions above, these wee FIRE engines are pretty tolerant of their oils - after all it's an engine which was designed many years ago when oils were much less sophisticated. I'd be a wee bit more choosy with the later VVT engines as they have a fine filter on the VVT valve but I think they'd be "happy" on pretty much any 5W-30 or 5W-40 if a bit worn. Regular oil changes would be almost more important. Having the 5W cold rating is something I think beneficial as it's likely to allow lubricant to rapidly reach all parts of the engine on a cold start. However, if you've got an engine with a turbo on it, and especially our twin air or multiair jobbies then what oil you put in it becomes of paramount importance if you are to get good performance and a long life from it. I'd NEVER run a turboed engine on an extended service regime!!!

Thnx guys for all tips , i ordered the attachment below for this time hope i made a good decision, i have this fiat 500 from 1 week and im in love ..

Attachments

• IMG_6464.jpeg
    IMG_6464.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 29
I'd second the Motul 8100 X-Clean 5W-40 and also the Fuchs Titan GT1 5w-40. I've used both in ours (2013 1.2 8v) and not had any issues.

This engine is pretty "low maintenance" though and was probably spec'd for 10W40 when it was a brand new design... so I wouldn't go thinner than 5W40. Ours burns a bit... around a litre every 6000 miles, which I'm presuming is because of the skinny oil in an older tech engine..

Ralf S.

Just reviewed an old forum conversation with someone that I tend to trust when it comes to oils.

Back then he told me smth like (pardon my translation):

Ravenol VMO 5w40 is a very good oil but ACEA C3 5w40 oils are oriented towards diesel engines with DPF or gasoline direct injection ones, as far as the aditives are concerned.
MPI engines were designed to work well with ACEA A3/B4 oils like the ones recommended below:
- Ravenol VST USVO 5w40
- Motul 8100 xcess 5w40
- Valvoline Synpower 5w40

He may be contradicted of course. Now I have a dilemma, I don't recall when I changed my mind to using Ravenol VMO (maybe because Ravenol oil finder gave me that) 🤔.

Anyway, don't trust someone just because he says so, please do your our research! Myself, I'll switch to VST USVO for the next oil change, because I trust the guy. Cheers!

Blokes on the internet (of which I am one.. ) 😬

The 1.2 8valve in Euro 5 configuration is specified by Fiat to use "Selenia K PURE ENERGY 5W-40" (or Selenia K.P.E) which is a ACEA C3 spec' oil, conforming to Fiat 955535-S2.

Petronas also sell a "Selenia K 5W-40" (no "Energy", Pure or otherwise) which is an ACEA A3/B4 spec' oil, conforming to FIAT 955535-M2.

• "Selenia K" is a Euro 4 era oil and if you have a Euro 5 spec' 500, then you (theoretically) require a lower ash formulation (i.e. C3 / Pure Energy).

• If your 500 pre-dates 2009 then it is probably fine for A3/B4... but C3 is the gig for Euro 5 engines.

I have no idea if the Euro 4 and 5 cars are identical and the ACEA grade doesn't matter to the engine... or whether the engine management system, catalyst or other components are different and the C3 oil with less ash is better for these newer components.

The spec' sheets for Selenia KPE and K are attached... what's obvious is that the KPE has a *much* higher Total Base Number (TBN) which means it thrashes Selenia K on its ability to absorb acidity.. so again, the car components (e.g. anything made from bronze) might last longer with a C3 oil, if it has copper/bronze components in it to help it get to Euro 5.

In my experience, engines will run on practically any oil, so I suspect the lower ash C3 oil only affects Greta T. and what comes out of the exhaust.. and not the car itself.. but anyhow, Fiat says "C3" is the oil for Euro 5.. and no blokes on the internet can say much more about it...

Ralf S.

Attachments

• Selenia KPE.pdf
    128.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Selenia K.pdf
    128.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Back