Technical Oh how much do you love your thermostat :)

Currently reading:
Technical Oh how much do you love your thermostat :)

It's my sons car had it for a month, it's covered 2k in that time. He says hes never heard the fan working. It's used no water or oil in that time. I have a 2011 doblo 1.3 m/jet.(50,000) and I've never Heard my fan either but at least it's gota temp gauge. So don't know if Ilove my thermostat or not.

Last edited:
It's my sons car had it for a month, it's covered 2k in that time. He says hes never heard the fan working. It's used no water or oil in that time. I have a 2011 doblo 1.3 m/jet.(50,000) and I've never Heard my fan either but at least it's gota temp gauge. So don't know if Ilove my thermostat or not.

Fans running this time of year is slim, because the air is cold vs super hot and it does a good job of cooling

it also shows the stat is opening a little bit to allow more coolant flow
ie its regulating the temperature enough

The fan is a backup when stationary to provide a temporary air flow to prevent over heating

I think my car is in need of a new thermostat :/, did a 2 mile journey earlier and the needle hardly moved atall.

mine was like this - taking near 5 miles to show signs of getting to 1/4 mark
The temperature would rise and fall so often it took the ****.... couldnt have the heaters on as it'd just start to fall

Im now sitting at around 1mile a sure sign im getting upto temperature quickly
would say sitting 2/3rd to the normal sitting place

Im upto temperature within 2.5miles i would say

But when the Sub Zero temps hit - it'll take longer then that, im sure of it

Ziggy

just to reiterate in case anyone falls on this link in future centuries

you do not need to go to a fiat dealer to buy a thermostat as fiat dont make them they have them made then have their name put on the box

gates one of the most respected names in automotive parts who supply as original fitment to the best names in the world do a thermostat and housing and gasket as one for these puntos at a trade price of £15, so anyone who would go into a proper motor factors like say andrew pages shouldnt be charged more than £20 all in unless they wear a silly hat and shorts in october

£14.94 Delivered to the door :)

its the one i ordered :)

used Partsworld before - there good in my eyes for bog standard orders :)

I think something like beth was the manufactor of it tho....

I've had 2 QH's thermostat's and they've failed by been lazy or been leaky internally

Ziggy

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I love our thermostat. 104k and counting. Wanted to do the right thing and replace every second coolant change and thought let's see how far this baby can go. Thought about replacing at 60k when the hg went for a sulk but hey we're on a roll and the weld on the wallet was still too hot :)

just to reiterate in case anyone falls on this link in future centuries

you do not need to go to a fiat dealer to buy a thermostat as fiat dont make them they have them made then have their name put on the box

gates one of the most respected names in automotive parts who supply as original fitment to the best names in the world do a thermostat and housing and gasket as one for these puntos at a trade price of £15, so anyone who would go into a proper motor factors like say andrew pages shouldnt be charged more than £20 all in unless they wear a silly hat and shorts in october

How can you tell if its a gates thermostat though? So many duffs in circulation from what I've seen on here, main dealer is £20-£25 for OEM part with gasket, I know personally I'd rather pay the extra £5-£10 and have to do the job only once.

mine was like this - taking near 5 miles to show signs of getting to 1/4 mark
The temperature would rise and fall so often it took the ****.... couldnt have the heaters on as it'd just start to fall

Im now sitting at around 1mile a sure sign im getting upto temperature quickly
would say sitting 2/3rd to the normal sitting place

Im upto temperature within 2.5miles i would say

But when the Sub Zero temps hit - it'll take longer then that, im sure of it

Ziggy

is it quite a tricky job to change it yourself? as i am thinking of buying the part and giving it a go ?

How can you tell if its a gates thermostat though? So many duffs in circulation from what I've seen on here, main dealer is £20-£25 for OEM part with gasket, I know personally I'd rather pay the extra £5-£10 and have to do the job only once.

I have to agree. (y)

I know I've said this before, but having two thermostats that started to fail within months -- and both from reputable factors... -- I don't regret having bought the last one direct from FIAT. :p

Let's just hope these aren't famous last words... -- but, for the first time in 18 months of Punto ownership (although I'm only two months in to this thermostat...), I have a temperature gauge that quickly reaches exactly halfway, and then stays there -- no matter how cold or warm the weather is. :)

I'm therefore hoping that I won't have to replace the HG again for at least another 90,000 miles.... :eek:

i trust my factor to send a gates thermostat in a gates box its called trust

my local fiat dealer is as much use as a wet flannel in a house fire

as regards the easyness of changing the thermostat yes its dead easy so long as a bolt dont shear,leave the hose with the factory clip on so its easier to undo once pulled forward this way theres less chance of cutting an artery,
consider removing battery and tray for ease of removal/fitment and if you do it this way you wont have major bleeding problems if you leave the radiator cap ON

Back