non police using speed gun

Currently reading:
non police using speed gun

Bull S***, Wouldn't stand up in court, with speed guns you need to be issued the ticket there and then!

Just saying what he said.

Bear in mind they are police trained aswell.

So if you can't get points or fines then why are they there? ;)

Oh, and since when has it been the law to be issued a ticket 'there and then' with a speed trap?

Last edited:
Just saying what he said.

Bear in mind they are police trained aswell.

So if you can't get points or fines then why are they there? ;)

Oh, and since when has it been the law to be issued a ticket 'there and then' with a speed trap?

Speed Gun, Not Trap. Because the evidence needs to be presented there and then! Another loop hole :D.

They're there because they keep moaning to the police and they basically say back, do it yourselves, and they do. They think they have power but at the end of the day don't. All that can be done is a warning (bluffing) letter issued.

All private industrial sites like refineries, steelworks, power stations etc impose very low speed limits on the site for H&S reasons. They are often monitored and if you are caught speeding you can expect to be warned and your employer will be notified. You cant be prosecuted but you could be kicked off the site possibly even banned from the site for disregarding the clients H&S terms. Worst case scenario is that the client refuses to deal with the company as a result......bad news for the guy speeding if his actions have cost his employers a multi-million £ contract.

I think the ones in villages are done through a scheme involving the police. The 'locals' are given proper training on how to use the guns, then they record any speeders and give the police your details. As far as I'm aware you wont be prosecuted but will receive a letter informing you that you've been spotted - I wonder if they have a '3 strike' system thing in place :confused:

Interesting to see what info you find (y)
Only Police Officers can issue Fixed Penalty Notices or summonses for a moving traffic offence. Police Traffic Wardens (not parking attendants) can issue Endorsable Fixed Penalty Notices or report for summons in connection with certain static traffic offences. Tameside Council where I live have some fixed roadside cameras known as "Watchman" cameras. They cannot provide evidence for summons, but if certain vehicles are persistantly seen speeding,
then the Police (or a branch of the Police) could then set up a mobile detection device. I suspect that if the same vehicles are seen speeding through the villages, then one day the Cops will be there in future.

We have some bearded villagers who take part in this scheme.

Last summer I had a walk down the road and asked exactly what they were doing etc.

The bloke told me you will first receive a warning letter and if you continue to offend you can receive a fine (not sure about points though).

So yes than can do something, otherwise what would be the point of them being there?
That's it, have a go at us Beardies (note capital letter, used because we are now officially a persecuted minority). No fine can be issued for speeding on the Queen's Highway unless by a division of a Police Force, in which case points would also be added to your licence. Greater Manchester Passenger Transport Executive also enforce 10 or 20 mph speed limits on the private roads of their bus stations. They cannot put points on a licence, but drivers can be fined.

Hes just jealous, cos everyone overtakes him when he's in his.....

Mobility_Scooter_Roma_Shoprider_Cordoba_Class_3.jpg
Oh S**t. Thank you very much for showing me the future. I guess it's not a case of if, just WHEN.

Bull S***, Wouldn't stand up in court, with speed guns you need to be issued the ticket there and then!
You can be summonsed for speeding by a Police Officer with a speed gun even if it does not have a camera attached

They do the residents bit and then if the residents catch enough people speeding they usually put a van in a similar location down that road to catch people properly :)

Or at least that is what they have done around me.

Spoke to the old boy bearded camera man at the weekend...

He mentioned a 'three strike and out system' whereby you can be prosecuted.

He also said if the police are present whilst he has the camera you can be prosecuted straight away.

Bear in mind we had both had a skinful but i'm sure this is what he said.

Back