Technical No Starter Motor

Currently reading:
Technical No Starter Motor

spagy86

2008 1.2 Fiat 500 Pop. My daughter was driving earlier and stalled the car. Went to turn it back on and nothing. Had to roll the car and jump it and it runs fine. Anyone know what the problem could be?? No warning signs before it happened! Many thanks everyone.

Just went out to try starting it, now it is like nothing is wrong and it starts fine! When it wasn't working, there was nothing, no clicking or noise of any kind....

Before going to the trouble of striping the battery and box out you could just buy another strap(Halfords etc!?) and run it from the battery negitive terminal to another frame point in the engine compartment ! having an extra one on there will do no,harm and if the problem stops you will know it was the bad original one and can change it if you wish!, however then if the problem continues to happen then it was not the earth strap in the first place and you will have to look elsewhere!.
It is possible that when she stalled the car the starter pinion was stuck in relation to the flywheel and "rocking it" knocked it free! might need greasing up a bit or possible replacement of the starter at some point! if so dont forget that the starters for stop/start equipped cars are different to non-stop/start cars and you need the right one!

Before going to the trouble of striping the battery and box out you could just buy another strap(Halfords etc!?) and run it from the battery negitive terminal to another frame point in the engine compartment ! having an extra one on there will do no,harm and if the problem stops you will know it was the bad original one and can change it if you wish!, however then if the problem continues to happen then it was not the earth strap in the first place and you will have to look elsewhere!.
It is possible that when she stalled the car the starter pinion was stuck in relation to the flywheel and "rocking it" knocked it free! might need greasing up a bit or possible replacement of the starter at some point! if so dont forget that the starters for stop/start equipped cars are different to non-stop/start cars and you need the right one!
As above, it is now working again, so fingers crossed all OK now, great idea to run another strap as a way to test it so I'll do that! In terms of the starter pinion, it has been driven no problem after jumping starting it twice and it still won't start from the key so not sure if it was that.

Dodgy start signal wire is a possibility too given the age
Start signal wire, would that be from the ignition barrel? Funnily enough I have replaced the instrument cluster lately and the cover is still off. This meant I could check the wiring there and there doesn't appear to be an issue.

As above, it is now working again, so fingers crossed all OK now, great idea to run another strap as a way to test it so I'll do that! In terms of the starter pinion, it has been driven no problem after jumping starting it twice and it still won't start from the key so not sure if it was that.
Sorry just to clarify things are you saying that when you turn the key to start position! there is no response from the starter motor! then?

Sorry just to clarify things are you saying that when you turn the key to start position! there is no response from the starter motor! then?
None at all, or at least there wasn't until we left the car alone for a while then it decided to work again.

None at all, or at least there wasn't until we left the car alone for a while then it decided to work again.
Ok based on this the next things i would check are-
1- battery voltage!- once its been standing overnight ! ,need a multi-meter to do this! need at least 12.4 volts should be nearer 12.6/12.7 if not battery could need replacing! if possible subsituting another known good battery might show if thats the problem!- if it starts normally then your original batteries dead! .

2- If your battery is ok- then use the multi -meter to check for voltage to the starter motor !- if you get good voltage the starters duff! if not its more likely a wiring issue!

Back