Technical starter motor issue or something else - 2012 500c Pop.

Currently reading:
Technical starter motor issue or something else - 2012 500c Pop.

Derbyfella

Established member
So the wife rang in a panic yesterday morning and said her car isnt starting - she however then took the new pop.

as i got home last night late i removed the battery and put it on charge overnight. Put the battery back in tonight and tried to start and just get a rapid clicking from the starter....relay??? when i turned ignition.
I haven't looked at the earth strap yet - suspect that's starter point tomorrow....
Could this still be the battery? and if not following that, what would you do next to locate fault?

Last edited:
Hi what voltage does your recharged battery show? you really need more than 12.4v -the nearer 12.8/9 the better !-any less and your in trouble!

the earth strap deffo next thing to check!- after that its the starter connections then solenoid- then starter itself!.it might be possible the starter is"stuck" might be worth popping the car into gear and rocking gently back and forth(not running of course!) a couple of times then back into neutral and try again!

I’m not convinced the battery is the issue…it’s never missed a beat before now and .I didn’t test it before I removed it and put it on charge. Was showing As 12.7 before I put it back in.I’ll leave it connected in the car over night and see what it says in the morning. It’s a yasua so I don’t tgjink it’s the original either.
i have another pop I can quickly swap batteries if needed

All good! but the change of weather to colder days can highlight issues !-how old is the car? mines 2012 and when i checked the earth strap last year it was jiggered! dead cheep to replace though!
Also if you have stop/start and its working well!, that takes a toll on the starter! if your investigations lead to a starter issue that needs replacement be sure to get the correct one!

I’m not convinced the battery is the issue…it’s never missed a beat before now and .I didn’t test it before I removed it and put it on charge. Was showing As 12.7 before I put it back in.I’ll leave it connected in the car over night and see what it says in the morning. It’s a yasua so I don’t tgjink it’s the original either.
i have another pop I can quickly swap batteries if needed
I had two batteries fail in a week last year just like that. My money is on battery failure. My dead battery sat there for two weks showing 12,4v and was as dead as a door nail. The other one at least had the goodness to look dead quicker, but neither appeared to be totally goosed.

Earth strap is cheapest and easiest! battery is the next best thing for it to be !-might cost £100 quid or so but thats better than a starter ,plus the bother of fitting it!.
I had a mystery miss-fire for 7 months!- eventually traced to a dodgy fuel injector! once changed tick-over was perfect ,and within a few days the stop start system started to work! its been fine ever since! too many factors effect its function! IMHO.

Battery

11.3v this morning
battery tray is missing a bolt too. So will probably do earth strap when I get new battery.

now is this battery start stop - it doesn’t say it is but it does have start stop on the label and there’s some going at an auction not far from me.

Check the dimensions to what you have got fitted currently! looks to be the right size shape! ( stop start batteries for 500,s are OBLONG whereas non-stop starts are SQUARE! common battery size for stop start fiat 500 is 027!,Tanya Batteries list a ENDUROLINE brand( wet cell)in that size for around £65 where as the Bosch one you are looking at (A G M cell) is £80. The Bosch one has a slightly larger amp hour rating and slightly higher Cold cranking amps! so might be worth the extra its the same as the one your looking at on the auctions so you might get a good price there!, at least now you have a target price to aim at!, however buying from a shop you might have a better warranty and traceability in case of problems!.
Did you try the battery from your other car to confirm its the problem?.

Last edited:
Am I missing something, the site I linked to is the Tay a site and the price of that bosch battery is £140 inc deliver?

No my appollgys when i looked i had not noticed that it took me back to the wet battery page you are quite correct when you look on the AGM page( you have to select it from the menu) it shows the prices you quoted sorry for misleading you ! and getting your hopes up!.

Back