Technical No 4th gear

Currently reading:
Technical No 4th gear

Doblotaximan

Driving around last night , 4th gear started to be difficuilt to select, and after about half an hour later could not engage 4th gear at all. Checked it this afternoon nothing is loose, and still can not get 4th gear. Has this happend to any body? Any suggestions?

Niall_G's gearbox went to the dogs not so long ago, if I remember rightly he had trouble with 4th and reverse???

Do a search and I'm sure you'll find it ;)

LUKHYGO

It was 5th gear. The cogs fell off the shaft when a nut came loose!!! My local independant guy put it back together with new nuts, total cost about £70 !!! I suspect a Fiat main dealer would have wanted to fit a new gearbox - Mrs_G has covered about 80,000 miles since this repair and its still going strong.

I had a problem like this once not sure which gear I could not get but it was found to be the linkage which had broken under the gear stick.

A common fault on Talbots was the linkage dropping away - a metal ball in a nylon socket. In some cases, the nylon wore down & the link dropped off.
Mine was 6 months old. Whilst it was in the garage, another bloke was there with the same problem in a 1y/o motor - except he lost the whole linkage whilst hurtling down the motorway.
When mine went I had 1st & 2nd. 3rd and 4th were in there somewher but I couldn't find them.
Within 3 months it happened again. This time, instead of limping home in 1st/2nd, I scrambled under the car, clipped the link back & wrapped a bit of coathanger wire around it in a figure of 8. Sold the car 10 months later with the wire still holding.

May be a similar problem?

To see the ball in the nylon housing just pop off your gearstick gaiter (pull it at the edges and it'll pop out) and you can clearly see it it in all it's greasy glory :)

Back