General Nice weather to clear out scuttle drains

Currently reading:
General Nice weather to clear out scuttle drains

Shuggie

The weather is fine, dry and sunny here in Norfolk, so I thought it would be a good time to clear out the Panda's front scuttle drains. It was a good idea, because both drain inserts were completely clogged up with muddy debris, but are now squeaky clean. For anyone who has never looked underneath the front scuttle, do it before autumn!

Predictably, a few of the white nylon scuttle securing clips had disintegrated, so a new set of those are on their way from S4P. Someone had previously improvised a repair with some mastic to stick the plastic scuttle panel to the windscreen glass - probably a common practice.

Pesky duckbills blocked again even after I cut away a small portion of the plastic some months ago.
So I've been a bit more aggressive this time as I didn't want to not have them in place. The first pic shows how much I cut away and the second pic shows I smeared a bit of grease around them for ease of fitting. Hopefully this will cure the problem.

Attachments

• 20231029_154736.jpg
    20231029_154736.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • 20231029_155015.jpg
    20231029_155015.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
The weather is fine, dry and sunny here in Norfolk, so I thought it would be a good time to clear out the Panda's front scuttle drains. It was a good idea, because both drain inserts were completely clogged up with muddy debris, but are now squeaky clean. For anyone who has never looked underneath the front scuttle, do it before autumn!

Predictably, a few of the white nylon scuttle securing clips had disintegrated, so a new set of those are on their way from S4P. Someone had previously improvised a repair with some mastic to stick the plastic scuttle panel to the windscreen glass - probably a common practice.
You did that just in time!!!

They block up every 18 months to 2 years. Water is then all over your feet and the electrics.
Good to clear out.

In 14 years of owning our 169
I never had to withdraw that cover (as it doesn't cover the suspension turrets) 🙂

Milking the bottom of the Duckbills kept it all nice and clear 👍
Just noticed a YouTube video stripping everything off to get to them, turning a 5 minute job into a half hour job and risk damaging the now hard clips

Definitely the hard way to go about it

They are rubbery, even though they were originally designed to be fitted from the top, you can remove and fit them from the engine bay side, just don't drop them

I cut a few mm off the end with scissors

Just noticed a YouTube video stripping everything off to get to them, turning a 5 minute job into a half hour job and risk damaging the now hard clips

They are rubbery, even though they were originally designed to be fitted from the top, you can remove and fit them from the engine bay side, just don't drop them

Top advice!

Yes, the Ducks Bills are certainly easy to remove from below, and then to clean out and re-insert. But if anyone wants to remove all the leaves, dirt, detritus etc that builds up elsewhere in the air intake plenum, then taking off the plastic cover really does help with unfettered access. For me, it's all about sensible preventive maintenance and keeping a good honest little car going ad infinitum (****wit politicians permitting).

I just pull the duck bills out and gently jet wash out the detritus out the holes. There's enough of a gap to get the hose in

In summer when vacuuming the inside you can vacuum the scuttle area too it takes any dry leaves out before they become a problem

Depending on where you park the car determines how much of a problem it becomes and how often you need to do it

I’ve just done mine. Those clips are a nuisance about half of them broke so had to glue them. I’ve never done this so took a while to figure where and how the clips were attached as they all fell off. Not very easy sliding the scuttle back in because you can’t see if the clips went under the windscreen, if that’s what they’re supposed to do? Everything fastened back screws in and Wipers bolted back in and washer pipe reconnected, all works except scuttle is a bit loose where it meets the windscreen and not a watertight seal against window, not sure if it needs to be watertight.

I don"t understand why you would need to remove plastic panel, it's only going to get dirty again

There's enough room to hose it down and the drains can be pulled out from underneath

One of my Pandas gets parked near some large trees and has to be done regularly

It real is a two minute job, that youtube seem to over complicate

I use a thin, bendy piece of garden cane which can push into the plastic/rubber boots without removing the scuttle itself. This seems to clear any blockages ok.

I don"t understand why you would need to remove plastic panel, it's only going to get dirty again

There's enough room to hose it down and the drains can be pulled out from underneath

One of my Pandas gets parked near some large trees and has to be done regularly

It real is a two minute job, that youtube seem to over complicate

Now I wish I’d never removed it and just used a hose or cane to unblock it. It’s next impossible to get the clips back in place as you can’t see under the panel when putting it back and most of clips just drop off again. Seal against windscreen is loose now and will probably have to get some silicone to seal it. Certainly won’t be doing that again.

Now I wish I’d never removed it and just used a hose or cane to unblock it. It’s next impossible to get the clips back in place as you can’t see under the panel when putting it back and most of clips just drop off again. Seal against windscreen is loose now and will probably have to get some silicone to seal it. Certainly won’t be doing that again.
I guess it depends what you want to achieve

A concourse winning car

Or a functional, safe car

And everything inbetween

Personly I find any plastics clips are best left alone unless absolutely necessary, they tend not to age too well and go brittle

A lot of the little clips on Fiat are now stupidly expensive

I try and disturb as little as possible when repairing the car,

Back