Lego 007.JPG

Tipo (Classic) New Tipo (old model!)

Introduction

Following the demise of the red Tipo (see previous rust thread) I obtained a new one and this is work to date. This one had a fairly long MOT failure list including excessive corrosion on both front suspension mounts, 1 rear seat belt mounting point and an advisory on the other. However the 'Liberty' special edition with air-con in SX trim was tempting and the previous owner had fitted new springs and had some tidy welding done previously. So what needs doing...

Lego 007.JPG

The rear valance is heading the same way as the red Tipo and cutting off and using the remade valance from the red one may be the way forward later on.

Lego 002.JPG

Lego 003.JPG

The inner arches are not too far gone but there was more rust at the top and the back to tackle later.

Lego 027.JPG

The holes behind the front struts will be the worst to fix, just above the sub-frame mounting bolts. Both my Mk11s suffer this.
This is great work, well done!

There are relatively few variables on these engines so interpreting the error codes goes a long way usually in solving issues.

I also follow engine parameters to understand what is happening, but the fact that MES always disconnects after a few seconds makes that challenging. Do you have a stable connection to the ECU?
I think I did, because I've been able to look at the engine parameters in real time, using one of the screens. I'll have a look on my return, although was pleased to see a Tempra estate today en Francais :cool:

They have become so rare these days so it makes you happy to see one. I noticed I felt that way seeing an early Punto the other day.

The welding looks very nice 👍

I have long ago looked for the seals between the doors but they seem impossible to obtain. Whar Chinese alternatives did you find?

They have become so rare these days so it makes you happy to see one. I noticed I felt that way seeing an early Punto the other day.

The welding looks very nice 👍

I have long ago looked for the seals between the doors but they seem impossible to obtain. Whar Chinese alternatives did you find?

I cannot remember when I saw a Tempra in the UK and another Tipo 1 I last saw around 2005. For this repair, I found it best to remove all the old plastic/rubber strip. There will be some metal locating tabs left proud, but these stick great, even when running over those. I might buy another set and punch holes at the relevant locations so it sits absolutely flat, but even now from the outside, they look like the original item. As I say it is wise to do this, as the water is running down and collecting. I just hadn't seen these parts were damaged, until I looked to see the cause of the rust here.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
This year the Liberty finally lived up to it's name. MOT passed and a trip to AutoItalia North followed. This was an enjoyable day with some lovely cars and a thumbnail in Autoitalia mag later, surrounded by much more exotic italians. The engine light (scan says TPS ground wire fault) disappeared, unless it was solved by greasing the idle motor plunger. The flickering oil pressure light at higher temps continued to stress and depress, after all the work done. Expecting no change, I tried a different switch and have not seen the light since. :D A minor car on car collision on the driveway will require a new rear light (should see the other car....).

PXL_20231117_165024776[1].jpg

Last edited:
Great work, amazing to see another one MOTd and back on the road. Certainly thin on the ground now, especially in that spec! I sold my SLX in silver a few years ago, the current owner still has it in storage, would love to have another Tipo one day :D

Great work, amazing to see another one MOTd and back on the road. Certainly thin on the ground now, especially in that spec! I sold my SLX in silver a few years ago, the current owner still has it in storage, would love to have another Tipo one day :D
I may have seen some pictures of that? That's quite a car, with the central armrest, factory alloys, engine and SLX spec. Due to their rarity I don't think I actually ever saw one, back in the day.

I may have seen some pictures of that? That's quite a car, with the central armrest, factory alloys, engine and SLX spec. Due to their rarity I don't think I actually ever saw one, back in the day.
You may well have done! Silver, "A14 TPO", 2.0 8v SLX - attached one picture from my ownership... certainly a rare spec even when new as if you were spending big money you'd be buying a Sedicivalvole! Still miss it, almost bought a couple of 1.4s since (love the fire series engine anyway) but almost want to find a 2.0 again...!

Attachments

• 1701040289895.png
    1701040289895.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
That's the one :). It looks to be 1 of 4 SLX's on SORN, from 115 originally registered.
That would be right! A rare find in the first place at 115 registered... the person that bought it off me bought it and put it on SORN, it hasn't been used since. A real shame, a real nice car to drive. At least it isn't rotting away I suppose, it's in a nice garage with a Tipo GT 2.0 8v and assumedly will one day be sold in the hope of great profits... I'd buy it back but I imagine he'll want a lot more money now!

Back