Technical new exhaust, totally confused

Currently reading:
Technical new exhaust, totally confused

For a short period of time the did a version with a centre box and rear pipe. Not sure why unless this was due to supply issues. I’d be almost certain they are interchangeable. The catalytic converter flange has not changed so you would be able use a middle pipe and back box. Just be aware of cheap copies that are inferior to the originals. I managed to source a good second hand mid pipe and back box off a car that had done 19k for £60
Fiat like to use what's in the parts bin 😊 and in my experience most are interchangeable.

Just checked we have no centre box or mounts. only the one fixing on the centre pipe at the back end.

If you click on the part number on ePER it comes up with more details and shows things that have been repaced / deleted and updated. Quotes old and new part numbers.

Fiat like to use what's in the parts bin 😊 and in my experience most are interchangeable.
Ive always shied away from 2nd hand exhausts, but the Panda is simple, easy to remove and refit and the back box is multi skinned anyway so can look scabby but still last for years so this is a really good tip and well worth doing to keep costs down.

Would just replacing the flexi section be an option for you @Jiffycom ?
I cut mine out with an angle grinder and bolted a new flexi in place on my 169 1.2 when the old flexi got bashed in
I gave serious thought to doing that. Indeed, the flexi section was replaced by a garage who cut and welded a new one in prior to my ownership. However, the exhaust bracket has rusted off which has no doubt caused the flexi to fail quicker. Since it's all nearly 8 years old, I've decided just to swap the whole lot over.

For a short period of time the did a version with a centre box and rear pipe. Not sure why unless this was due to supply issues. I’d be almost certain they are interchangeable. The catalytic converter flange has not changed so you would be able use a middle pipe and back box. Just be aware of cheap copies that are inferior to the originals. I managed to source a good second hand mid pipe and back box off a car that had done 19k for £60
Yes, I checked the cat flange was the same. I also made sure both parts were Euro 6 spec but don't know if that matters.

I gave serious thought to doing that. Indeed, the flexi section was replaced by a garage who cut and welded a new one in prior to my ownership. However, the exhaust bracket has rusted off which has no doubt caused the flexi to fail quicker. Since it's all nearly 8 years old, I've decided just to swap the whole lot over.
Fair enough, those brackets are famous for rusting away, I replaced mine with an L bracket bolted to one of the exhaust clamps.
The rest of my exhaust is 19 years old, although the outer skin of my silencer has long gone it's still holding up well.
Which is why I wanted to replace as little of the exhaust as possible. General consensus seems to be the original exhausts are very well made (even if they can look tatty with age), it can be difficult to get an aftermarket system that matches them for quality.

Fair enough, those brackets are famous for rusting away, I replaced mine with an L bracket bolted to one of the exhaust clamps.
The rest of my exhaust is 19 years old, although the outer skin of my silencer has long gone it's still holding up well.
Which is why I wanted to replace as little of the exhaust as possible. General consensus seems to be the original exhausts are very well made (even if they can look tatty with age), it can be difficult to get an aftermarket system that matches them for quality.
Same with my map sensor, new one lasted 6 weeks, the current new one came off a donor car from 1994, so it's 30 years old now 🤗

This should be in the happy thread really. This exhaust is 9.7 years old
1709385938044.jpeg

This should be in the happy thread really. This exhaust is 9.7 years oldView attachment 439305
Wow, either loads of salt on the roads or the car does very short journeys. Short trips don't let the exhaust get hot enough to burn off the condensation so they rot quicker. There is the possibility that the exhaust is made from poor quality steel 🤔

Wow, either loads of salt on the roads or the car does very short journeys. Short trips don't let the exhaust get hot enough to burn off the condensation so they rot quicker. There is the possibility that the exhaust is made from poor quality steel 🤔
Solid as a rock and good for another 3 to 5 years if it does just 3 and gets to 12 years I shall not complain if it does 5 and gets to 15 years old I shall be well suited. But it does look a bit scabby.

My exhaust is in about the same sort of condition on a 6 year old Panda, I'm not too worried though as when it does go I'm going to have a stainless system on it as you can have them made to standard spec, I wouldn't usually do it on a normal car but as I'm going to be keeping it forever 😂 it'll be worth the outlay, to be honest I don't think it's too much more money for a Panda than an off the shelf pattern part

My exhaust is in about the same sort of condition on a 6 year old Panda, I'm not too worried though as when it does go I'm going to have a stainless system on it as you can have them made to standard spec, I wouldn't usually do it on a normal car but as I'm going to be keeping it forever 😂 it'll be worth the outlay, to be honest I don't think it's too much more money for a Panda than an off the shelf pattern part
Stainless quote last year for Daffo (169) was £350. AT the time a fitted exhaust was the same cost. eBay job was under £90 so I did the eBay route. If Ruby (319) or Noop 4x4 need exhaust it will be a stainless job. I think you are right on the money.

If a mild steel exhaust lasts 10-15 years Im not 100% on stainless as I believe they suffer from cracking and fracturing on a more regular basis, so not perfect. Im also considering a Vortex system.

Stainless quote last year for Daffo (169) was £350. AT the time a fitted exhaust was the same cost. eBay job was under £90 so I did the eBay route. If Ruby (319) or Noop 4x4 need exhaust it will be a stainless job. I think you are right on the money.

If a mild steel exhaust lasts 10-15 years Im not 100% on stainless as I believe they suffer from cracking and fracturing on a more regular basis, so not perfect. Im also considering a Vortex system.
I've heard about stainless manifolds cracking in the past, mainly on old Mini's. I'm not one for these huge silly drainpipe exhaust systems they use nowadays, I couldn't stand the noise 😂😂 I much prefer something standard looking, perhaps with a small centre box as with Mini's if you changed the exhausts from a single box system to a twin box system it made them go a bit better with slightly better throttle response so that'll probably be the route I go down with the Panda

I've heard about stainless manifolds cracking in the past, mainly on old Mini's. I'm not one for these huge silly drainpipe exhaust systems they use nowadays, I couldn't stand the noise 😂😂 I much prefer something standard looking, perhaps with a small centre box as with Mini's if you changed the exhausts from a single box system to a twin box system it made them go a bit better with slightly better throttle response so that'll probably be the route I go down with the Panda
Google Vortex. Im convinced they are a good idea. Agree about noise. I want refined as possible.

I wouldn't have thought you'd be changing the manifold; on the Panda, it's integral with the CAT.

Most folks going the stainless route just replace it from the cat back.
That's exactly what I'll be doing with the Panda as I know the CAT is integral with the manifold so it'll be getting a CAT back system, I'm leaving the manifold well alone until it really needs doing 😂 if it ain't broke don't fix it is term that's coming to my mind with the manifold 😂😂

I'm leaving the manifold well alone until it really needs doing
The manifold should last the life of the car, provided the bracket which secures it to the gearbox is sound.

Unfortunately this bracket is usually the first part of the exhaust system to rust away, and then the whole weight of the front of the exhaust system is left hanging on the manifold, which is what usually causes them to break.

If you're having a custom catback system fitted, it's important to ensure this bracket is renewed at the same time. And keep monitoring its condition going forward.

The manifold should last the life of the car, provided the bracket which secures it to the gearbox is sound.

Unfortunately this bracket is usually the first part of the exhaust system to rust away, and then the whole weight of the front of the exhaust system is left hanging on the manifold, which is what usually causes them to break.

If you're having a custom catback system fitted, it's important to ensure this bracket is renewed at the same time. And keep monitoring its condition going forward.
I've heard about these brackets rotting away, when the exhaust gets renewed any mounts & brackets will be renewed with the system, then it can be all done & forgotten about for a while 😂, its the same as when my original brake discs warped at about 3 years old i changed the pads as well because i thought might as well while its all out even though they still had quite some meat on them so it's had Brembo brakes up front ever since & with tyres as well I keep an eye on wear & switch them round every so often to even the wear out & then when they're near the limit I'll replace a whole set together

Last edited:
Back