General My 5ino's transatlantic adventure

Currently reading:
General My 5ino's transatlantic adventure

Anyone know what type of bolts hold the flywheel protection plate in place? It's 3 of the same type of bolt. I only have 1, they are 10mm heads. Hoping I can find them locally.

Edit: Also, went for a ride to make sure the recent parts I put on were ok. So far so good. Probably changing out the oil pan on Sunday. Also looking to drain the gearbox oil and filling it up with fresh oil. What's the best practice, warm up the gearbox or do it cold?

NKss0.jpg

Last edited:
How can I take apart the hand brake lever?

I already removed the cotter pin + wheel that holds the cable, but I would like to remove everything else (spring/button/teeth) so I can clean and paint again.

Any tips?

Seems like theres a large cylinder with a couple circlips (snap rings?) holding it in place...how do I remove them?

Just prise the one of the wire clips off using a screwdriver or similar. Pushing out the large pin will allow you to separate the handbrake lever from the support bracket. The push button on the h/brake lever unscrews - iirc there's a rubber washer, a steel washer and a spring underneath the button. The rod that the button is screwed onto has a sort of 1/2 S hook at it's lower end which fits over and operates the h/brake lever pawl. The ratchet engages with the handbrake lever via a groove in the ratchet engaging with a little strip of metal on the lever- you'll see what I mean when you have it apart.

AL.

Anyone know what type of bolts hold the flywheel protection plate in place? It's 3 of the same type of bolt. I only have 1, they are 10mm heads. Hoping I can find them locally.

Edit: Also, went for a ride to make sure the recent parts I put on were ok. So far so good. Probably changing out the oil pan on Sunday. Also looking to drain the gearbox oil and filling it up with fresh oil. What's the best practice, warm up the gearbox or do it cold?

NKss0.jpg

The bolts are probably 6mm x 1.0mm pitch by 10mm long, i.e. standard 6mm bolts of 10mm thread length. You can shorten longer bolts (setscrews) if you can't get the correct length.

Draining engine oil - usually recommended to do it with the engine hot as the oil will be thinner and drain faster.

Draining gearbox oil - ditto. But I'd prefer to drain it cold as if the engine is run, the gearbox oil will have been splashed up onto all the gears etc and you'll have to wait for all of it to drain down. But it's your choice. If you wait long enough, all the oil, hot or cold,will drain out anyway. Just don't drain the gearbox oil with the rear of the car raised really high and the front on the ground as it might not all drain out...

That's a lovely looking road, (y) (mine's full of potholes :( )

AL.

Last edited:
Just prise the one of the wire clips off using a screwdriver or similar. Pushing out the large pin will allow you to separate the handbrake lever from the support bracket. The push button on the h/brake lever unscrews - iirc there's a rubber washer, a steel washer and a spring underneath the button. The rod that the button is screwed onto has a sort of 1/2 S hook at it's lower end which fits over and operates the h/brake lever pawl. The ratchet engages with the handbrake lever via a groove in the ratchet engaging with a little strip of metal on the lever- you'll see what I mean when you have it apart.

AL.

Doh, I feel like a dummy, I didn't realize that it was that easy to remove those wire clips :p
I've scrubbed them and will hopefully paint them tomorrow.

The bolts are probably 6mm x 1.0mm pitch by 10mm long, i.e. standard 6mm bolts of 10mm thread length. You can shorten longer bolts (setscrews) if you can't get the correct length.

Draining engine oil - usually recommended to do it with the engine hot as the oil will be thinner and drain faster.

Draining gearbox oil - ditto. But I'd prefer to drain it cold as if the engine is run, the gearbox oil will have been splashed up onto all the gears etc and you'll have to wait for all of it to drain down. But it's your choice. If you wait long enough, all the oil, hot or cold,will drain out anyway. Just don't drain the gearbox oil with the rear of the car raised really high and the front on the ground as it might not all drain out...

That's a lovely looking road, (y) (mine's full of potholes :( )

AL.

Thanks for your feedback. Will try to see if I can pick some of those bolts up at a local hardware store.

Am I wrong in remembering that the manual calls to activate the starter (with the ignition off) to make sure all the old oil gets disloged, and then the same when it gets filled with the new oil?
I know that the procedure is recommended when the car has been stationary for a while (it's in the manual as well).

Doh, I feel like a dummy, I didn't realize that it was that easy to remove those wire clips :p
I've scrubbed them and will hopefully paint them tomorrow.

Thanks for your feedback. Will try to see if I can pick some of those bolts up at a local hardware store.

Am I wrong in remembering that the manual calls to activate the starter (with the ignition off) to make sure all the old oil gets disloged, and then the same when it gets filled with the new oil?
I know that the procedure is recommended when the car has been stationary for a while (it's in the manual as well).

When I worked in a Fiat Dealership workshop, some of the Mechanics used to spin over the engine after draining the sump (oil pan) supposedly to get all the old oil out of the crankshaft. I could never see the point of this -if the oil is drained, the oil pump can't draw any oil up to pump through the crankshaft. So unless centrifugal force (at starter motor speed - Hah!) is going to push the remaining oil out past the bearings or up to the cylinder head so it can drain back to the sump? Idk. If you do try this, let me know if more oil comes out by spinning the engine over.

I would agree with spinning the engine on the starter (ignition off) having installed fresh oil until the oil pressure warning light goes out is a good idea. Also, no harm to do this if the engine has lain unused for a long time but probably not needed after short periods of non-use.

I don't think you're a dummy!! Always better to ask if unsure, rather than break something. Plus, if you ask before a job, often people will tell you the 'easy' way to do a job and what to watch out for - not everything is contained in the manual.

AL.

Here's another question :D

How do I release this pin? What tool should I use, and is the pin reusable, most importantly?

eIuyW.jpg

I'm trying to get through most of these items on the inside!

That's a 'Roll Pin' and it's removed with, wait for it, (cue drum-roll)

A Roll Pin Punch :D

These punches are aka Parallel Pin Punches.

They come in a variety of sizes and in sets. They are also available with a guide (reduced diameter at the tip) or with a sliding sleeve to stop them slipping off the roll pin but the plain version will work fine. If you don't have a suitable one, you could grind the point off a nail and use this instead.

I'm assuming the above pin is in a hole that goes all the way through (if the pin goes into a blind hole then you're in line for some strife!!).

First, mark the relative positions of the two components if required. No harm in spraying a little rust penetrating fluid into the pin, sometimes they rust in place.

I'd tap the pin from the other side (rather than drive the protuding bit into the hole) using a pin punch just a tiny bit smaller in diameter than the pin/hole.

Ideally the pin should be renewed but if it's not damaged, you could re-use it.
These pins are often available afaik singly from the 'Big Box Stores' in the USA, have also heard McMaster-Carr and Tractor Supply often mentioned.
Just measure the hole size and length required.

(I'm not in the US but hang out on a certain US based forum, where I try to spread my wit and good cheer :) although I'm often misunderstood :( )

Regards,

AL.

Last edited:
Al, I'm in need of your wisdom. I removed the pin, but now I don't know how to remove the pedal/inner cylinder.

I don't know if I'm pulling on the wrong parts, but I've tried to hammer the pedal off, tried pulling it, but it won't budge.

What's the correct order of disassembly?

I haven't had one of these assemblies apart. Maybe try alternating heating the boss with spraying with penetrating fluid a couple of times, where the roll pin fits, it might be frozen in place. Use of a hydraulic press or a gear puller would be preferable to hammering.......

Is it really necessary to remove the pedal?

Idk how the shaft is attached to the arm inside the alloy housing, possibly a press fit, splines or a hidden pin?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

AL.

Ok! Success, I managed to get the inner sleeve out, buy using a socket of the same diameter, and hammering the hell out of it. I did manage to slightly damage one end, but used a dremel to smooth it out again.

I cleaned and treated everything.

Now my question is, do I need to lube this and the pedal holes as well? To avoid future corrosion and to make sure everything moves smoothly?

6Dntp.jpg

Look at that corrosion from water...

tvVyI.jpg

Sanded down and ready for primer + paint

ydDYP.jpg

Nice aluminum pedal box. Found out these were on the 500 N - D and early F models

Also, I noticed that when moving my gear lever left and right, there is a slight creak from the rubber bushing that surrounds the main shift rod that goes from the inside to the outside of the car. The creak is right at the rubber bushing that is next to where the handbrake/choke/starter etc cabls exit the interior.
KwqyM.png

What can I grease it with?

Hi Turbo,

I would use a rubber compatible dry lubricant. If you put rubber grease on there it will attract dirt and turn into grinding paste!

I would probably lean towards one of those dry lube sticks like CRC make.

Chris

Thanks Chris, but why rubber compatible? I don't think there's any rubber in the assembly, only metal and plastic bushings.

Never mind, just understood what you were referring to! The gear shaft.

Any ideas on the pedal assembly?

Last edited:
I would gently rub that pedal shaft so the surface was smooth. Replace the plastic bushes in the aluminium box. I then put some PTFE grease on mine

Pedal assembly is done! Now I can sleep knowing my feet are pushing on freshly painted metal, as well as having solved the silly initial 2cm friction I was encountering when pressing down on the clutch pedal. The pedal would never go back to it's fully upright position unless I pushed the pedal up myself. It ended up being dirt and rust in the inner cylinders of the pedal assembly (y)
LGcR3.JPG

Qo0Dy.JPG

Instead of friction pins, I opted for this linch pin. Will see how it goes.
ZIa0V.JPG

While loctiting the fuel inlet stub, I decided to see if I could improve the look of the carb air inlet...
DPylX.JPG

Not bad :cool:
4l9nE.JPG

IwPIA.JPG

Bedliner look :bang:
SpT6J.jpg

Paint stripped
CTJgM.jpg

End result, now just need to find a solution for the plastic end tips
q4z87.JPG

Handbrake done as well...
UMAmQ.jpg

zBQpV.jpg

Almost ready to go for a spin

So today while making a makeshift fuel inlet securing device, I noticed when tightening the bolts on the carburettor air inlet, one of the threaded studs was spinning...I'm hoping it's not crossthreaded, because once it goes past a certain tightness, it goes loose again, and this goes over and over again... :confused:

3qWeD.png

It's the one closest to the gearbox.

Also, if you guys recall, I posted a video earlier of my clutch pedal, and the play there was. Now that I cleaned and repainted and reassembled the pedals, there is a very different feel to the clutch. It's as if there is a much larger 'play' area, which is like 10cm, and then the clutch engages.

I filmed it, and you can see in the first video, the 'play' distance is shown at second 14, I depress the pedal a few times to show that that is the distance that I encounter very little resistance (maybe only the spring).

At second 18 I depress the clutch pedal as far as it goes, but I'm not sure it's reaching the maximum range?

Here is from the inside, the initial depressions show the 'play' area, and then I depress it fully. Seems like too much 'play'.

And finally, I have these goodies waiting to go on. Do I need any special tools to remove the existing ones, like joint pullers, or is it as simple as unscrew, mount, secure? Would like to avoid starting a job without the tools I need.
0njW6.jpg

I'm guessing these are already lubricated?

It looks like you might have to fit a Heli-Coil inser to repair the stripped thread.
You can get a kit in some Auto Factors or from on-line suppliers. Measure the thread - it's probably 6 x 1.00mm (thread diameter x pitch/distance betwen thread peaks) and the length of thread required. The kit usually includes a drill bit of the required size, a tap to suit the outside thread of the insert, a tool to install the insert and a selection of inserts. It would be a lot cheaper to bring the carb. top to someone with the necessary kit and have them fit an insert for you.

What you could try before the above fix is to clean the stud threads and carb body threads carefully and then use one of the Loctite products designed to fit components together permanently, not the usual threadlock, something like
Stud 'n' Bearing Fit (271?) or Sleeve & Bush Retainer (648?), although you might get away with Lock 'n' Seal (242?) or regular Threadlock. For cleaning you could use Loctite cleaner/Primer or something like Acetone/ Brake cleaner.

Another possibility is that if the stud just keeps turning but doesn't pull out under load, might be to drill a small hole down the side of the stud, catching both the threads of the stud and of the hole and tap a small pin/trim nail in to prevent the stud from turning.

Clutch adjustment? You sure have a lot of free play- normally it's less than 1 inch, measured at the pedal pad while just taking up the slack and bringing the release bearing into contact with the pressure plate fingers - just as you seem to be demonstrating. In fact, in your video showing the clutch operating arm movement, it's possible to hear the release bearing make contact with the clutch pressure plate. I notice also that you're just about out of available adjustment on the cable where it attaches to the release arm. Is there any adjustment at the other end of the cable e.g. can the short arm that attaches to the pedal crossshaft be repositioned? (Nice job on the pedalbox, by the way (y) ). If not there may be some incorrect components fitted? wrong cable/release bearing/release arm? Idk.
To get more adjustment, you could drill out the threads in the adjusting nut and use a tubular spacer and two nuts locked together. I'd try adjusting the clutch pedal freeplay to 1 inch or a bit less and then try the clutch engagement/ gear selection.

Re:- The steering rod joints.
I've never had one just unscrew and remove as the taper on the ball studs locks them into place.

2 ways to remove them - often called breaking or splitting the ball joints!
First loosen the nuts but don't remove fully (you don't want to risk damaging the threads in case you need to re-use the joint)

1st way is to use 2 hammers -a heavy one positioned on one side of the arm (to act as a backstop) where the pin passes through and a smaller one to strike the arm, opposite the 1st hammer, the shock usually pops the pin out of the tapered hole. You need to hit the arm quite sharply.

2nd way is to use a proprietary 'steering track rod end remover' or 'ball joint press'. These are available in different designs. There's a forked type that is hammered into the joint between the steering arm and the steering joint. This almost inevitably ruins the dust boot, so should only be used on a joint that you intend scrapping. The second type has a scissors action - fork and pressure arm one end, forcing screw on the other end - tighten screw until the steering joint ballpin is popped out of the steering arm. This type doesn't damage anything. The third type fits over the end of the steering arm and joint and a pressure screw pops the ballpin out of the arm. Again, this type doesn't damage anything.

Afaik, some of the big Auto Factors hire these tools out or loan them free except for a returnable security deposit. They're not really worth buying for a one-off job. - which is why I mentioned the old 2 hammer method.

There are also air-powered ball joint separators available, again a fork type or you can use a blunt/mushroom ended air chisel against the steering arm in line with the ballpin to pop it out.

2 notes of caution.

1. Wear eye protection and heavy gloves.
2. If using the 2 hammer method - check that you have a free reign of motion when swinging a hammer, also that if you were to miss with the hammer, that you won't crush you fingers between the hammer handle and something solid like a brake drum/disc. Don't ask me how I know this :cry:

Finally, when disconnecting the old track rod ends from the track rods (the long split tube with the clamps) just loosen the locknuts. When you unscrew the trackrod ends, count the number of threads from the locknut to the end and transfer the locknuts to the new trackrod ends leaving the same number of threads to the end. This way when everything is back together, the tracking should be the same as it was, but it should still be checked. Afaik, new track rod ends don't come with locknuts fitted.

Regards,

AL.

Last edited:
End result, now just need to find a solution for the plastic end tips
q4z87.JPG

Handbrake done as well...

zBQpV.jpg

Almost ready to go for a spin

You could have painted the plastic end tips.

I know the smaller but similar heater control tips are available for the 124 Coupe so maybe someone also can supply the plastic end tips for the 500?

I wonder could something like 'Plasti Dip be used to either renovate or indeed replace the plastic end tips?

Re:- your Handbrake.......

Apology time :eek: In my post #123 , I gave some incorrect info. What I should have said was that the slot in the ratchet engages with a small metal strip that is spot-welded between the 2 sides of the handbrake mounting bracket. This is what locks it into position. It's the pawl that moves with the handbrake lever. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. :eek:

AL.

Last edited:
Ok so a little update.

-Got the hand brake installed, all is well it seems.
-Fuel filter has been removed for now, I will relocate to front. Installed a temporary fuel inlet securing device on the carb. Also loctite on the fuel inlet.
-Checked the filter right after the fuel inlet on the carb and it seemed clean.
-When starting her after the long period of no use, and after having replaced the fuel lines into the carb, no fuel was being sucked into the lines. Had to use a small pump to fill the lines.

Took her out for a ride, and it's running well. However, I noticed some oil marks around/under the distributor. Could it be leaking from the valve cover, or could it be from the distributor?

I had an Abarth oil pan waiting to be mounted so I dropped the old one...

edC4Z.JPG

zHtB2.JPG

XiayI.JPG

Here are the internals. Anyone notice anything that I should be worried about? I see some wear on the cam lobes.
Can anyone recognize the pistons, or tell if they are 126 pistons (since the head seems to belong to a 126)?

More importantly, I drained the oil, removed the pan (which was in dire need of change. All banged up and air channels were completely clogged from debris.
I installed the new abarth pan, but ran into an issue with 1 bolt. I'm using new M6x20 bolts with washers. They all went in ok, but one of the holes seems to be completely gone. I can push the entire bolt into the hold without even rotating the bolt (n) I think the previous bolt was held in place by a lot of silicone.

So now my question is, could I be ok without that 1 missing bolt?

UjFSW.JPG

Here's the hole that's ruined.
In the case I have to put a helicoil in there, I will probably remove the cork gasket, and just use black RTV since I don't feel the cork will hold up well.

Also, wanted to make sure if I did have to put a helicoil in there, the correct helicoil kit to get is the M6 one...obviously...right?

Back