PXL_20230711_130605694.jpg

Panda 2012+ My 2023 Panda Cross 4x4 Twinair

Introduction

This is a longer read but decided to start off detailed then will update with shorter posts :)

BACKGROUND:
In 2007 I remember seeing the new Fiat 500 which I thought was really awesome and when a year later images of the Abarth version came out I knew I had to get one, so in 2010 I ordered an Abarth 500 Esseesse which I kept for 5 years. I traded it in for a Renaultsport Megane 275 Trophy which I still own, but I still missed the Abarth which was my first "Fiat".

Fast forward to the last few years, the Megane has taken a beating on our pot holed UK roads as a daily driver and doing road trips round dodgy single track roads on the west coast of Scotland and dirt tracks for hillwalking. Maintenance costs have cost me a fortune and I always had the back of my mind to get a second car. Years I had toyed the idea of an Audi A2, but I had always admired the Fiat Panda from a kid when I saw loads of 4x4 models going around Cumbria when I went there to visit my Great Gran in the 90's. I loved the later generations too, so I decided to take the plunge and decided a second hand 319 TA 4x4 would be my daily. This would allow me to get my Megane off the road and garaged in the winter / taxed for only 6 months.

Went to view an Orange 2013 4x4 with 80k miles at a cheap price but it was rough as hell bodywork and interior wise, although it drove spot on. I decided to up the budget a bit and found on Christmas Eve 2021 a Green 2013 4x4 with half the miles and full service history. It was only a 2 hour drive again and a car check online revealed no issues so I quickly put down a deposit and picked it up a few days later. I knew the TA could be rough but hadn't properly researched the gearbox issues, so when it was vibrating around 3k revs through the gearstick I knew it wasn't right and contacted the dealer. They said to take it to a local garage to check and feed back to them. That's when I found out the car had no sump plug and it had been sealed with sealant. This immediately set off alarm bells and further research into the gearbox issues I decided to cut my losses and ask for a refund.

I was sad to hand the car back after 12 days and lost a bit of money but it was a lesson learned. With a little sympathy and help from relatives I was able to go for a brand new model. Winter pack was essential and the Cross had the bells and whistles so in February 2022 I spent weeks calling and emailing almost every Fiat dealer in the UK for the best price with my blue light discount and eventually TJ Vickers in Telford emerged as victors, so a £500 deposit was placed. I would have loved another green one or orange but opted for minimal grey (cement grey) which I also love on modern cars. Delivery was estimated for September 2022, then December / January 2023 then Fiat went silent and gave my dealer no info. I contacted them direct and got an estimated build of mid April 2023 and estimated delivery of June 2023 at the earliest. After chasing them end of May I finally heard the car was on it's way but no timescale. A further wait and my dealer called me on 26 June and said the car had arrived! Time to start planning the collection

COLLECTION:
Due to my work I wasn't able to collect the car until 11 July so promptly booked my train tickets from Aberdeenshire down to Telford and it wasn't long before the day arrived, setting off around 6.15am on the first of three trains.

Lovely view of the Queensferry bridges:
PXL_20230711_071327743.jpg

Slight delay coming in but made it for my next connection to Wolverhampton:
PXL_20230711_074159018.jpg

Crap weather but lovely views:
PXL_20230711_093426080.jpg

Waiting for the final train at Wolverhampton station to Telford Central:
PXL_20230711_115751853.jpg

And at 1.46pm, 5 minutes late, I finally arrived at Telford Central. One of the guys from the dealership were waiting for me in an Electric 500 which I had sat in but never rode in. It felt fairly nippy and was nice inside being the top spec, although very bumpy on the short motorway hop to the dealer.

Arrived at the dealer and had a very quick handover with my salesman. I had requested they didn't wash it and leave the stickers on (hoping for the big white stickers over the paintwork to be kept) but it was just general delivery info stickers and security seals etc., which I did expect as they had to do the delivery inspection.

Grabbed the first photos whilst the heavens opened:
PXL_20230711_130605694.jpg

PXL_20230711_130600092.jpg

PXL_20230711_130548131.MP.jpg

PXL_20230711_130832654.jpg

PXL_20230711_130645914.jpg

PXL_20230711_130613941.jpg

I took the rubber floor mats I bought for the old Panda in my suitcase and put them in the new one:
PXL_20230711_130653031.jpg

Panda added:
PXL_20230711_130814075.jpg

I quickly found the nearest Tesco and brimmed the tank with Super Unleaded which I will try and make a habit of with the TA engine being a fan of it. Google maps took me down some dodgy country lanes and over an hour later I was on the busy M6 with bad weather and the usual poor drivers - undertakers, middle lane hoggers, tailgaiters you name it. Several people took exception being overtaken by a Panda at the national speed limit and insisted on getting past me not long after before settling back to their original speed. I never knew so many were offended by a Panda ;)

Stop for lunch at Tebay Services:
PXL_20230711_170530026.jpg

Then it was onward again with a final fuel stop at a Tesco on the outskirts of Glasgow. After leaving Telford before 3pm I got back to my house not long after 10pm:
PXL_20230711_214908719.jpg

PXL_20230711_214344214.MP.jpg

PXL_20230711_214332932.jpg

I planned on keeping the car below 3k rpm for the first 1000 miles, although the car revs at 3.5k miles for an indicated 77-ish mph (which is around 70 actual) and the first tank averaged 37mpg (1mpg less than the computer). I know this will improve in time.

IMMEDIATE PLANS:
The car will remain in the garage and not be used until the following is done:
- Michelin Cross Climate 2's being fitted all round on 14 July
- Interior fabric and plastic treatment by myself
- Lanoguard treatment on 18 July (including the diff and sump protectors to prevent early corrosion)
- New car detail and 3 year ceramic coating on 24 July

FUTURE PLANS:
- General OEM+ upgrades
- Upgrade headunit to Pioneer AVH-Z7200DAB flip out CD / Touchscreen + rear camera and steering wheel control adaptor fitment
- Possible speaker upgrade
- Initial oil change after 1000 miles
- Service plan for first 3 years
That looks lovely.. :cool:

the mpg appears poor.. but mine was in the 20's ;)

Saw gains until 20,000 miles :)
I thought it was super slow initially and couldn't find the Eco button so assumed they got rid of it, then I did and kept it off. The little TA is working hard above 70 but it is still refined when you aren't accelerating. I tend to drive below 70 to save fuel on my commute so I'm positive I'll average mid 40s when run in :D

Fantastic post and photography.

I'm not a fan of that kind of grey paintwork as a rule—it always looks to me as if they sprayed the primer and forgot the topcoat—but it suits the Panda better than any other car I've seen it on.

Fuel economy will be disappointing until at least 10,000 miles. After that you'll find economy and performance much improved, enough to consider using ECO so long as you stick to Vpower.

I must admit, I did do a double-take when i saw the photo. Ave speed in what, the high 50s - ish?
I think it will be overall. With Eco on you are foot to the floor to maintain acceleration but it does fine when Eco is off with the full torque
Fantastic post and photography.

I'm not a fan of that kind of grey paintwork as a rule—it always looks to me as if they sprayed the primer and forgot the topcoat—but it suits the Panda better than any other car I've seen it on.

Fuel economy will be disappointing until at least 10,000 miles. After that you'll find economy and performance much improved, enough to consider using ECO so long as you stick to Vpower.
Cheers Marcus. I definitely think the long journey home at a constant speed will have helped loosen it up a little quicker

I thought it was super slow initially and couldn't find the Eco button so assumed they got rid of it, then I did and kept it off. The little TA is working hard above 70 but it is still refined when you aren't accelerating. I tend to drive below 70 to save fuel on my commute so I'm positive I'll average mid 40s when run in :D
Mine is now around the 1100 mile mark and average is 45.7mpg currently , I drive with eco off as car is a too sluggish for me with it on so yours should come up soon,

That's pretty good going on such a new one. You'll see it improve further. A lot of it is down to driving style, of course.

They're undrivable in ECO until at least 10,000 miles in my experience. When I first got my Panda I got into the habit of immediately turning off ECO (and S/S) as soon as I started the engine. Now, approaching 12K miles, I don't bother, not for short trips anyway.

Vpower makes a difference to how the Panda performs, IMO, and is worth the extra. And I have always been hugely skeptical of posh petrols. I had to put a tank of E10 in mine at the start of the year on a long trip up to the Highlands when I couldn't get anything else and the difference was real and immediate.

That's pretty good going on such a new one. You'll see it improve further. A lot of it is down to driving style, of course.

They're undrivable in ECO until at least 10,000 miles in my experience. When I first got my Panda I got into the habit of immediately turning off ECO (and S/S) as soon as I started the engine. Now, approaching 12K miles, I don't bother, not for short trips anyway.

Vpower makes a difference to how the Panda performs, IMO, and is worth the extra. And I have always been hugely skeptical of posh petrols. I had to put a tank of E10 in mine at the start of the year on a long trip up to the Highlands when I couldn't get anything else and the difference was real and immediate.
Thanks for the tip , i'll give it a try on next fill up.

As an edit for anyone looking for a new Panda the dealer - Thames , Slough - have 1 cross left with winter pack etc in the same gey as the OP with a black roof. It shows reserved but its not as i type.

19/07/2023 UPDATE
As of today the car is currently in the bodyshop having it's Lanoguard treatment. Here is what else has been happening with the car since the last update:

Parking sensors
I noticed parking sensors were not fitted to the rear which I'm positive was standard to the Cross. I checked a brochure which confirms this and contacted Fiat who are currently looking into this. Hopefully if they fit them at the dealer they don't make a pigs ear of it

Roof rail damage
Noticed this mark on the roof rail not long after I got it home. I tried wiping it off and using some quick detailer with no luck. When making use of my parent's big drive my Dad tried a little bit of CIF without me knowing and it's taken the paint off, whoops. As I still have the photos of before date stamped hopefully this means Fiat will still look at it. I have emailed them about this too and they said to take it to the Fiat bodyshop as it should be warranty covered. A pain given the car is getting ceramic coated so this rail will have to be redone.

PXL_20230713_194933692.jpg

All Season Tyres
When I got my old Panda last year 2 of the tyres were close to worn so I replaced them with Michelin Cross Climate 2's. When I handed the car back after 12 days I had them removed to be used on the new car when it eventually arrived, so I booked it into Kwik Fit to have these fitted along with 2 other brand new identical tyres. They also checked wheel alignment which was fine. The original summer tyres are up for sale so should make some money back.

PXL_20230714_090345903.jpg

PXL_20230714_100703055.jpg

I learned another lesson - ALWAYS check the new tyres once fitted as this is the second time this has happened. I noticed that 2 of the tyres were original Cross Climates and not the newer ones. These were the ones I bought start of last year but I didn't notice at the time, so too late to go back to Kwik Fit to complain. Annoying since these are inferior to the newer ones but lesson learned - I was stung in the past but luckily I spotted it and they rectified it.

PXL_20230714_131501315.jpg

Underside / Engine Bay
As the car was outside for 2 weeks then however long shipping it I expected surface rust underneath but it really is super clean which will be perfect for the Lanoguard to go on. The only bits of surface rust were in the engine bay from some engine mount bolts. I used a wire brush to remove this and then went over all exposed fasteners I could see in the engine bay along with the hinges and door catch mechanism. Some on Facebook complained I went over the top however having owned cars from new I have seen how quick some of these areas can deteriorate, especially with me living close to the sea. Neither is it a beauty contest either, the car is functional and having it new is the best opportunity to have it protected.

PXL_20230712_193524570.jpg

PXL_20230717_183431520.jpg

PXL_20230717_190215579.jpg

PXL_20230717_190136718.jpg

PXL_20230713_195223668.jpg

PXL_20230713_195251542.jpg

OEM 4X4 Mats
I also purchased these last year. Once I've fully detailed the interior they will go in, with the aftermarket all weather mats I have sitting on top of them. They have been treated also.

PXL_20230713_200240377.jpg

PXL_20230713_193941736.jpg

Upgrades to go on
Some pictures of the sill / boot protectors and the new stereo waiting fitment

PXL_20230713_195437443.jpg

PXL_20230713_195352614.jpg

PXL_20230718_224930618.jpg

PXL_20230718_225720831.jpg

PXL_20230718_225749778.jpg

I got this camera free with the stereo so will get them to fit this too

PXL_20230718_225940007.jpg

And finally a cool keyring I picked up on eBay

PXL_20230717_180113994.jpg

19/07/2023 UPDATE
As of today the car is currently in the bodyshop having it's Lanoguard treatment. Here is what else has been happening with the car since the last update:

Parking sensors
I noticed parking sensors were not fitted to the rear which I'm positive was standard to the Cross. I checked a brochure which confirms this and contacted Fiat who are currently looking into this. Hopefully if they fit them at the dealer they don't make a pigs ear of it

Roof rail damage
Noticed this mark on the roof rail not long after I got it home. I tried wiping it off and using some quick detailer with no luck. When making use of my parent's big drive my Dad tried a little bit of CIF without me knowing and it's taken the paint off, whoops. As I still have the photos of before date stamped hopefully this means Fiat will still look at it. I have emailed them about this too and they said to take it to the Fiat bodyshop as it should be warranty covered. A pain given the car is getting ceramic coated so this rail will have to be redone.

View attachment 426933

All Season Tyres
When I got my old Panda last year 2 of the tyres were close to worn so I replaced them with Michelin Cross Climate 2's. When I handed the car back after 12 days I had them removed to be used on the new car when it eventually arrived, so I booked it into Kwik Fit to have these fitted along with 2 other brand new identical tyres. They also checked wheel alignment which was fine. The original summer tyres are up for sale so should make some money back.

View attachment 426934

View attachment 426935

I learned another lesson - ALWAYS check the new tyres once fitted as this is the second time this has happened. I noticed that 2 of the tyres were original Cross Climates and not the newer ones. These were the ones I bought start of last year but I didn't notice at the time, so too late to go back to Kwik Fit to complain. Annoying since these are inferior to the newer ones but lesson learned - I was stung in the past but luckily I spotted it and they rectified it.

View attachment 426936

Underside / Engine Bay
As the car was outside for 2 weeks then however long shipping it I expected surface rust underneath but it really is super clean which will be perfect for the Lanoguard to go on. The only bits of surface rust were in the engine bay from some engine mount bolts. I used a wire brush to remove this and then went over all exposed fasteners I could see in the engine bay along with the hinges and door catch mechanism. Some on Facebook complained I went over the top however having owned cars from new I have seen how quick some of these areas can deteriorate, especially with me living close to the sea. Neither is it a beauty contest either, the car is functional and having it new is the best opportunity to have it protected.

View attachment 426937

View attachment 426938

View attachment 426939

View attachment 426940

View attachment 426941

View attachment 426942

OEM 4X4 Mats
I also purchased these last year. Once I've fully detailed the interior they will go in, with the aftermarket all weather mats I have sitting on top of them. They have been treated also.

View attachment 426943

View attachment 426944

Upgrades to go on
Some pictures of the sill / boot protectors and the new stereo waiting fitment

View attachment 426945

View attachment 426946

View attachment 426947

View attachment 426948

View attachment 426949

I got this camera free with the stereo so will get them to fit this too

View attachment 426950

And finally a cool keyring I picked up on eBay

View attachment 426951
Hi Mouse. Have you got the contact details of which department you spoke to at Fiat? I'd like to give it a go, as mine came without sensors too.

Thanks

Why have you particularly chosen Lanoguard for those tasks?
Did lots of research on all the various types of underseals. Lanoguard or those with Lanolin in them stop rust where stuff like Dinitrol and Raptor will not and will even form rust if you trap moisture underneath them.

I never undersealed my Megane which I've owned from new. Got it steam cleaned, rust conversion and Dinitrol at 5 years old. A year later I noticed rust coming through weld seems at the top mounts and patches of the underside which were totally fine before. The rear beam had also corroded right through too. Now I totally regret it and I'm gonna have to fork out getting it removed, the rust treated then have it Lanoguarded. This is from a reputable place down in Glasgow and several others PM'd me on Facebook to say they had the same issue. Luckily my Megane will no longer be used in winter now the Panda is here

Back