IMG_20230313_132009_003.jpg

Panda 2012+ Fiat Panda 4x4 Wild TwinAir 85

Late-2021 Panda 4x4 Wild TwinAir 85 finished in Rosso Passione.

Introduction

Good evening folks.

After almost three years of driving a wonderful Panda Cross Waze 1.2 (as well as a fair few Fiat-less ‘lurking’ years of the Forum), I began to think that with the demise of both 4x4 Panda models, I’d missed out on ever owning one.

But then, by a sheer stroke of luck, I happened across my local dealer’s website…and found they had just listed a 16 month old, pristine, extremely low mileage Panda 4x4 Wild TwinAir 85 (see attached photo).

Apparently the owner couldn’t get on with the TwinAir engine!

Ah well, their loss was my gain, as I’m now the proud owner of it.

It literally is a step up from the ‘Waze’ as, despite that car having quite jacked-up suspension compared to the ordinary Panda, the 4x4 adds a fair few extra centimetres to the ground clearance, to the point I’ve been able to easily - even at my age - crawl beneath it to Dinitrol its underside!

I love its darkened alloy wheels, the fact it has Climate Control rather than air-con, the leather-clad steering wheel, gear knob/gaiter and the DAB radio (it’s the first car I’ve owned with DAB). It even has parking sensors front and rear (what, on something as short as a Panda?).

As an ex-motorcyclist what I can say of the diminutive turbocharged TwinAir engine’s soundtrack is that it reminds me of BMW’s venerable flat-twin ’Boxer’ motor. Perhaps that’s what the original owner couldn’t abide. Personally I love it and it just adds even more to its already characterful nature.

My first ever car was the original twin-cylinder air-cooled 499cc Fiat 500 so, what with that and the raft of twin-cylinder engined motorbikes I’ve owned over many decades, I’m no stranger to ’twins’.

We were extremely happy with the Waze but then discovered it wasn’t homologated to tow anything - not even a small trailer for our camping gear - so that was the catalyst to hunt down a new or nearly new towing-compliant 4x4 or Cross 4x4.

It’s early days still, but it has settled down to return a very good 48-49mpg.

My one area of complaint is - as it was with the Panda Waze - the fitment of Continental EcoContact (EcoContact 6 as fitted to the 4x4) tyres. They are pure ’Summer’ low-rolling-resistance tyres and totally unsuited to our late-autumn through to early-spring climate!

My solution with the Waze was a set of Nokian Weatherproof All-Seasons tyres which transformed that car. Sadly, it would seem the ‘Weatherproof’ is dropped from the range, having been replaced by the much less aggressive looking ‘Seasonproof’ which doesn’t really ‘do it' for me.

So what do you folk suggest as an alternative (175/65R15 H): my driving style is ‘relaxed’ and ‘smooth’ .

There won’t be any offroading, but the tyre will need to cope with the winter Lincolnshire flatlands and Scotland…and whatever is fitted mustn’t compromise too much with economy or wet road grip.

That’s not asking too much, is it?!

Cheers
The 4x4 and Cross used to be supplied by Fiat with Continental CrossClimate Winters on the 4x4 and Goodyear Vector AllSeasons on the Cross, but they stopped doing that to gain brownie points under the new WLTP eco tests - hence the summer tyres. While the Continentals were prettypoor in all situations (to the extent I took them off when less than half worn as I felt they were dangerous) the Goodyears are still deemed as pretty good, or Michelin CrossClimate2 are a viable alternative (I have the latter on my 4x4 Panda now and they are great, good grip all year, good on soft mud and pretty good on snow too. Also seem to the very long-lived mileage-wise).

Hiya.
Yes, the latest testing regime (the need to get the lowest Co2 figure and best fuel consumption figures) is the reason the dealer gave for the fitment of low rolling resistance tyres: did anyone stop to consider the small matter of real-world road conditions, or safety or even fit-for-purposefulness?
The Goodyears and Michelins are on my shortlist but I'll be keeping an open mind on other possibilities.
I'll have the spring and early summer to peruse the various possibles.
Cheers

You seem to have done well with your specification. I had the climate control on my car and think its worth its weight in cash. I tow a trailer and just last week had just under 400kgs + the trailer on the hook. Its difficult to tell its actually there, and you have to keep looking to be sure. The 4x4 TA is a super tow car, punches far above its weight. The TA engine seems happiest if you just go with it. It has plenty of go for overtaking on the open road.

I run Michelin Alpin winter tyres and they feel very secure on any bad surface. They performed well on snow and ice last year and shrug off wet muddy conditions. My experiences with the Continental M+S is at odds with Herts Hillhopper. I just found they lacked if you were driving in a spirited manner. Perhaps they vary significantly from batch to batch. If so its not good or indeed acceptable. Summer tyres seem to give 5-10 extra miles per gallon. There seems little point on a 4x4 so all seasons tyres is probably a good compromise. I have never tried Falken tyres but am tempted after seeing good reviews of them on here.

I know the 4x4 system costs to but maintain and to run, but I love the car and its capbility exceeds anything I am likely to ask of it . Ease of,getting in and out, and the great ride are deal clinchers for me.

Ah, that's what I wanted to hear about the 4x4 TA's towing abilities! Thank you.
I'll be getting a towbar fitted in a few months time...and then saving up for a small trailer...although my wife has already started wondering if it "might possibly tow a very small caravan"! It might...but I won't!!!

I have a 'downer' with Continental tyres of any type TBH, even if they seem to be highly rated in tyre tests, the fact that they come with barely more than 6mm of tread depth from new and can then easily shed a further 2mm within a few thousand miles leaves a nasty taste in my mouth: Nokian Weatherproof A/Ss come with 9.5mm and the set I had on my Renault Scenic X-MOD back in 2013 lasted a good 30,000 miles and were still well within the tread limit to make them competent and safe for full winter use.

I seem to be spending a lot of time reading through endless on-line tyre reviews at the moment...but time is on my side.

Agree with what you say about the 'ease of getting in and out': in comparison, my wife's Hyundai i10 seems like a low-slung sports car, and for someone who suffers with lower back pain the Panda 4x4 is an absolute doddle to enter/exit.

Cheers.

Ah, that's what I wanted to hear about the 4x4 TA's towing abilities! Thank you.
I'll be getting a towbar fitted in a few months time...and then saving up for a small trailer...although my wife has already started wondering if it "might possibly tow a very small caravan"! It might...but I won't!!!

I have a 'downer' with Continental tyres of any type TBH, even if they seem to be highly rated in tyre tests, the fact that they come with barely more than 6mm of tread depth from new and can then easily shed a further 2mm within a few thousand miles leaves a nasty taste in my mouth: Nokian Weatherproof A/Ss come with 9.5mm and the set I had on my Renault Scenic X-MOD back in 2013 lasted a good 30,000 miles and were still well within the tread limit to make them competent and safe for full winter use.

I seem to be spending a lot of time reading through endless on-line tyre reviews at the moment...but time is on my side.

Agree with what you say about the 'ease of getting in and out': in comparison, my wife's Hyundai i10 seems like a low-slung sports car, and for someone who suffers with lower back pain the Panda 4x4 is an absolute doddle to enter/exit.

Cheers.
I have towed 1.2 tonnes and it was still not showing signs of stress. This was an emergency caravan relocation. It was completely fine. Stable and entirely in charge at 50mph. The car would have gone quicker! The diesel was rated at a 900kgs braked trailer weight so the chassis is well up to the job. It won its class in the 2015 tow car of the year comptition. I dont know about clutch and flywheel life expectancy, but that aside I wouldnt hesitate to tow one of the available small caravans. I am still thinking of getting one myself, its just the excessive cost involved.

Last edited:
Only echo the Continental comments. Our 500 had them from the factory, wet grip wasn’t so good on corners and wore quick 20k.

Went to Cross Climate + very happy in all seasons, even the very hot summer last year it was fine. You don’t sound like the person to be cornering at Mach 10 and just want a dependable all year tyre which they are. First set lasted 36k with 6 monthly rotation.

Took ours around Scotland in a wet September and have had it in snow & ice and slushy conditions locally.

At £58 each thats great value. My Alpins were £340 for four coming up 5 years back.
Can't speak for wear yet, but very grippy wet, dry and ice. I fitted 185/65s and will be fitting 5mm spacers next week as there's a slight rub at the front on full lock. Super comfy too, even with extra pressure in them.

Back