Technical Multipla Recall Front Springs Breaking

Currently reading:
Technical Multipla Recall Front Springs Breaking

Hi Guys,
Have been watching this thread avidly for the past few months :)
We're now on set no.3 of our front springs on our 2003 1.9JTD, first time replaced under warranty/recall, the 2nd & 3rd via an independant garage whom we trust with our life (well, almost)
When I called Fiat Head office to discuss they weren't in the least bit interested (n)
Can't beat good old customer service!

Perhaps because it's been a continuing problem from when the vehicle was new. And that the manufacturers recall replacement springs were no better than the originals. Which tends to indicate that safety and reliability didn't come into the equation when cost/reliability/safety were being considered. Even for a safety recall.

At the very least there should be an acknowledgement that the reason for the recall was not properly addressed at the time and that FIAT have learned from the experience. Doubt if the automotive money men even care though. Or have any awareness of the problem.

And yes, I know it's not only FIAT who are guilty of fitting inadequate parts to their vehicles. :bang:

Just moving off on my driveway yesterday and BANG! Nearside front spring broken again.

Never in my life have I had a vehicle which goes through road springs like Multiplas. :bang:

Just moving off on my driveway yesterday and BANG! Nearside front spring broken again.

Never in my life have I had a vehicle which goes through road springs like Multiplas. :bang:

Similar story with Stilo's, though i don't think they seem to go quite so frequently on Stilo's. Perhaps it's weight related (Multipla carrying 3 people in the front etc).

Anyway, when the springs went on my Stilo, which were also subject to a recall, i phoned Fiat on 00800 3428 0000, who advised me to email [email protected] which i did. I attached some photos of the snapped spring (still on the car) with an explanation of what happened & two days later i had the offer of service vouchers covering the cost of repair (in my case £300).

This happened when my car was almost exactly 6 years old & had done just over 60,000 miles. The only difference which might affect you is that my spring completely missed the spring catcher which had been fitted during the recall and the spring had gone straight into the tyre, which could've obviously caused a bad accident had i been driving the car when it happened (mine went whilst parked).

I guess Fiat may take a view that if the chance of an accident was smaller, they wouldn't pay out, but might be worth a try given that it's gotta be as much of a well known issue on Multiplas as on the Stilo.

Liam

Just seen that on the Multipla, Fiat just replaced the springs. Yet on the Stilo they didn't bother replacing the springs, instead they fitted a spring catcher to prevent the spring going into the tyre if it should snap.

Wouldve thought they'd have done the same thing on both models - even though the Multipla recall came first it wouldve made sence to move away from spring replacement & onto fitment of a spring catcher as per the Stilo once they'd established it to be a safer measure.

Multipla springs almost always snap close to the bottom of the spring and don't move out of line. In fact, you may be unaware that anything is amiss unless you hear the spring actually breaking - they often break while the vehicle is stationary and unoccupied..!:confused: It may only come to light at MoT time if you don't occasionally inspect them yourself. There may well be no indication of damage while driving the Multi.

Other European vehicle manufacturers have had to recall their vehicles due to spring breakages and where the displaced spring can hit the tyre, cups have been fitted.

Several Stilo owners report only finding out about spring breakage when MOT time arrives too. Infact my other spring was found to be broken when i took the car to the garage with the initial broken one, so it sounds like the risk of tyre damage on the Stilo & Multipla is quite similar, yet Fiat's recall action on each model is quite different :confused:

130 foot up, motorway speed, coming down a right hander on a flyover with severe left hand camber and I was hit on the nearside by a stray 105mm tank shell from one of Gaddafi's Militia.

Sure enough, clean break, centre of the coil length, spring looks like it was only fitted last week but sheared in half

She's 12 this year god love her, I didn't even look at the recall dBase. One phone call £30 for the replacement and a mate will give me access to his ' Sykes-Pickavant '

I've picked the spring up already, and gave the bolts a drink of easing oil in readiness for the morning.

Plus these springs are horrible to compress, they make the tool slide round and one shot off whilst doing mine :eek:.

- unless you can borrow a proper hydraulic they're almost impossible with three average length DIY type compressors
- four average length DIY type compressors make the job safe & workable
- the ' trick ' is extended length coil compressors.

The amount of compression, and importantly the non space left between coils under compression its no surprise to me that they go so often. My point here is not in of itself the quality of the spring but that amount of coils under compression with no space between them means every bump you go over means the way its designed those coils are hitting / rubbing each other every mile.

That's a design fault !

spoke 2 some one at fiat recall only happened to 2002 to 2004 on multiplas hope this helps

i have a multipla. assuming the vin num is the one to the left under the bonnet with bar code mine does not match. but both my springs have broken within a 100 miles of each other. the first i had done at my expence the second is yet to be done and on the drive waiting. should mine be replaced under the recall scheme and if so should they come and pick it up?

Unless your numbers fit between those stated by FIAT for the recall, then they won't take any responsibility for the inadequate parts they fitted as original equipment.

Nowadays, European manufactured springs fitted to any make of vehicle seem to be considered as 'consumables'. Safety does not come into their calculations...:confused:

Must have been the tea-boy you spoke to, both my Multis were subject to the recall - a 2000 and a 2003.

My front bear side snapped on a 2000 and they reckon no problems are recalled on any thing under around 02 And this is from a Essex branch service centre what Else did they. Recall because checking my service history manifactur checks were done by fiat but never had any just a service

Nowadays, European manufactured springs fitted to any make of vehicle seem to be considered as 'consumables'.

The increase in suspension work over last few years is staggering, there's no way you can dismiss speed bumps and poor state of roads are in some way responsible to the extent that (as you say) they are becoming 'consumables' !

The increase in suspension work over last few years is staggering, there's no way you can dismiss speed bumps and poor state of roads are in some way responsible to the extent that (as you say) they are becoming 'consumables' !

I agree what ever u do ur gonna break some thing if u swerve sharp wish bones wear hit the bumps suspension snaps it's just life personally u own the car u pay for the wear and tear has always been my motto all this recall just gets people worryin and puts a buyer off

Mine is a 2000 1.9ELX and the chassis number is in the middle of the range of the recall. Called Fiat and also checked with a local Fiat garage and mine definitely isn't due for a recall. Not sure if the fact that its an import from Holland has anything to do with it? Anybody know?

Back