Technical Multipla Recall Front Springs Breaking

Currently reading:
Technical Multipla Recall Front Springs Breaking

S0 RUN said:
I get a strange warm glow inside knowing that I can tell you things about your car that Fiat can't

Have a look on the Vosa site, It is all written there

In this case go to a dealer that reads service bulletins & are up to date!

Personally I hate this recall,those springs are big b*stards & a pig to compress straight:(

I quoted the VOSA info to FIAT customer service but it meant nothing to them. :rolleyes: They told me that one or two dealers might have had something from their 'technical department'.

Hate to say this, but this reluctance to help, which I've encountered in the past, is what turns me off FIAT. Lord knows why I've just bought a Panda. This looks like they are going against government regulations by not acknowledging a recall that's on VOSA's site.

Where can I complain? Anyone got Mr Agnelli's email address? :bang: I think I'll send the VOSA URL to Wilson's for starters.

Well I got the work done on mine straight way as soon as I found out about this recall. first I telephoned fiat uk, who said phone my local dealer. phoned them and told that the recall was 4995 etc, they booked it in, got the parts, it was done last friday. got a car for the day also. my local dealer seems ok for a change :D. I would go back to them and quote the info thats now on the VOSA site they may then remember about the recall.(they may not want to do as its ment to be a pig of a job to compress the springs etc)

Problem is normal spring compressors don't compress them enough:bang:

Dealer can only go by whats on the sigi printout for outstanding campaigns/recalls.I'd contact Fiat before dealer for latest info.

Well, FIAT have said there's nothing outstanding for my vehicle, even though its chassis number is within the range. Are all vehicles within the published range of chassis numbers affected, or just some of them?

Last week I took note of the Fiat Forum and the VOSA Recall of 27 Jan 06. Our family Multipla JTD was on the VIN list but our local Fiat Dealership was non-committal on any action, saying "wait until you hear from Fiat UK". The car's VIN was on the Dealer's records.

This morning, the right front spring on the family Multipla JTD "slid-loose" and ruptured the tyre - luckily at slow speed and near home. At greater speed it could have been fatal - to the Multipla's occupants, people in nearby vehicles or nearby pedestrians.

Yet discussion to date has not asked the important question "Until the front springs are replaced on any Fiat Multipla listed, should you be driving it AT ALL?".

Our Multipla is now approved for repair on 20 March but only after a morning of owner pressure. Fiat UK initially pleaded ignorance of any Recall etc but did transfer the call to Customer Services at Fiat Italy who agreed the VOSA detail and gave the Recall/Replace authority No.

I write Without Prejudice - and trust my new Fiat Multipla on order has the modified front spring fittings!

ME (8 March 06)

Glad it was only a slow speed accident and not at 70mph :eek:
Whats happening is that they are stocking all the dealers with enough spring sets, before they officially anounce the recall or send out any letters

It's just that we can jump the gun a little (y)

I called into my local FIAT dealer this week, after weeks of being fobbed off on the telephone. Once again they could not confirm the recall and promised to ring me that afternoon. Once again, two days later I have had no call.

S0 RUN said:
Glad it was only a slow speed accident and not at 70mph :eek:
Whats happening is that they are stocking all the dealers with enough spring sets, before they officially anounce the recall or send out any letters

It's just that we can jump the gun a little (y)

As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, I have been fobbed off (I think the word is fobbed:D ) by FIAT and my local dealer regarding this recall, and have given up chasing. Again. :bang: Given what you say about the delaers being stocked up, any idea when we are likely to get our letters?

Does the fact that my Multipla was bought from a car supermarket mean I'll be overlooked?

Cynical? Me? :rolleyes:

Mine was bought second hand from a car supermarket too.

I rang them again and told them very nicely that I couldn't wait any longer and was going to another FIAT dealer to get the work done, and mentioned that I had already heard of a Multipla driver having an accident. I also mentioned that maybe FIAT don't have my details as it was bought second hand.

The parts are now ordered and they are ringing me when they take delivery.

They also told me that the letters are sent out in batches and do take time. Apparently a Punto recall took them 5 years to work through all the cars affected!

All dealers were told of this in January, as far as I know there hasnt yet been a mailshot but all dealers were sent 5 pairs of springs to be going on with. We have been doing this recall since January and are doing two a day at the moment. We dont have any problems getting the springs at all and are calling our customers ourselves or doing the recall when a customer brings their car in for service/repairs.
If you would like to know if your car is affected go to a dealer and get them to check on the Fiat Sigi system, it is a requirement from Fiat that every car entering a dealership has a sigi check to confirm any recalls required.

Hi
just had this done on my multi at motorvogue northampton and they said that tracking wasnt part of the recall and would be chargable!!i guess like you said earlier some might do it as a matter of course?cheers

Interesting subject, especialy when lately in my 2005 multipla i have clutters and creaks coming out from, in my opinion, front suspension. Last Sat, MArch 11, Fiat guys replaced both shock absorbers, but that did not help. Maybe reason is somewhere else. :confused:

Does anybody know the name/number of campaign of front springs replacement? It 'd help a lot. Tomorrow I go to fiat to follow repair.

Appreciate any input.

Multipla Recall - Front Springs Breaking

My local dealer (Simonstone, Bristol) says that adjusting tracking is not necessary when replacing these springs. Should I believe them or are they telling me porkies? :confused: If this is not part of the recall i.e. Fiat aren't willing to pay dealers for this. Should the owners club be putting pressure on Fiat? Expert opinions would be valuable

Re: Multipla Recall - Front Springs Breaking

Lagoyu said:
My local dealer (Simonstone, Bristol) says that adjusting tracking is not necessary when replacing these springs. Should I believe them or are they telling me porkies? :confused: If this is not part of the recall i.e. Fiat aren't willing to pay dealers for this. Should the owners club be putting pressure on Fiat? Expert opinions would be valuable
newcomer to this site- interesting same dealer (Bristol) I had my springs changed on a recall-mileage approx 10,500, tyre wear normal accross tyre but after spring change aggressive tyre wear on inside of tyre-advised dealer they suggested that perhaps I have gone over a bump in the road and possibly my tracking needs readjusting at cost of £25 I asked if tracking was out and advised-not by much.not sure of present wear pattern-keep posted

I,ve just had mine done, I bought 2nd hand, Fiat asked if it had been done already as the system they use does not update very fast, I called the previous owners garage and they said that they had not done it, Wilson Purvis in Crawley, very helpful did the recall in 3 days after I asked.(y)

There has been a recall for ALL Multiplas with chassis nos between 02026501 and 02234408 to change front suspension parts

It looks as though it's all the diesels in this range
but check the number of your car just to make sure

You can check by ringing Fiat on 0845 6066619 option 2 followed by option 4
(Mon - Fri 9am-5pm)

If your chasis number is included,
Ring your nearest dealer quoting the recall code which is 4995
Gary, there was also a ECU `upgrade` to this car at same time.

er- had any abnormal front tyre wear have you? please do tell, - Ruggero.

Hmmm, I'm interested by this, but I'm in France and I'm can't find any mention of this on the web (in French) except to repeat the UK recall notice. I assume Fiat will only recall where they feel they must.

Anyone in France (or elsewhere in Europe) had the springs replaces under a recall notice?

Back