MPG - testing!!

Currently reading:
MPG - testing!!

I am doing an MPG test this week to see how much difference a lighter right foor makes. I am currently spending about £200 a month on petrol. Most of this is to and from work. To a tankful i get anywhere between 300 and 340 miles. I do tend to put my foot down a bit on the motorways and again setting off from traffic lights.

So will be interesting to see what i get :)

sammiboo said:
I am doing an MPG test this week to see how much difference a lighter right foot makes.
I'm not sure you know how to have a lighter right foot! :D
I think the key points are to use reasonable acceleration to get you up to speed, then light throttle to stay there. If you find what rpm the peak torque figure for your engine occurs at, then running at this engine speed in top gear is theoretically the mos economical speed.
E.g. My Panda, max torque is at 1500 rpm. 1500 rpm in top gear = approx 40 mph.
My Coupe, max torque is at 2500 rpm. 2500 rpm in top gear = approx 70 mph.
This is evidenced by the Panda's mpg dropping off as you go over 40 mph.
On the Coupe, the torque curve is quite flat, so 70 mpg i the most economical, but there's not much difference if you co a tiny bit faster :devil:
H

Hellcat said:
Everyone together...

"Sammi shoud've bought a JTD.
A JTD.
A JTD.
Sammi shoud've bought a JTD....

:D

Did you mean that to be sung to the tune of "Yellow Submarine"?

And so she should have gone and bought a J...TD

hmallett said:
My Coupe, max torque is at 2500 rpm. 2500 rpm in top gear = approx 70 mph.
This is evidenced by the Panda's mpg dropping off as you go over 40 mph.
On the Coupe, the torque curve is quite flat, so 70 mpg i the most economical, but there's not much difference if you co a tiny bit faster :devil:
H

Thats just :confused: me!!!!

I am just driving more slowly :eek:

Does anyone know what rpm the peak torque occurs at on a Bravo 1.6 16V? :confused:
H

Hellcat said:
Everyone together...

"Sammi shoud've bought a JTD.
A JTD.
A JTD.
Sammi shoud've bought a JTD....

:D

LOL. :D

Cant be all that bad.
My uno used to do 22-23 mpg when not even thrashing it!!!

Do this:
Change at about 2,000 - 2,200 rpm.
Not to much load on the engine.
The injection system wont inject fuel above 1,500 rpm (overrun mode/period).
Try to drive economicly(?) below that and it wont work because the injection system will inject more fuel to stop the engine stalling.

And dont do what most people do, which is think they are in front whn they are in front of you!!
Does my nut in!! lol.

I still have a pug 405 STDT (1.9 Turbo Deisel) that i drove, bloody fast for its size (Kept up with my mates £9,000 polo GTI on the way to brighton! (y) ) and did so good on juice but look at the tax on the stuff!!

In your case the diffrences between diesel and petrol will be huge because of the miles you do.

Lighter right foot you'll notice the difference ;)

If I push the Punto around may get 250-300 out of the tank but keep the revs down to less than 2500 on each gear change and holding my speed to 70 max I'll get 400 easy.

At current fuel prices, your bank balance will look alot nicer at the end of the month.

Although the most obvious solution is still get a Diesel :D

Alex said:
Did you mean that to be sung to the tune of "Yellow Submarine"

Ahhh NO try adding to the end of that

My fair lady [abit before your time may be ]:p

Not sure which tune I had in mind.. Maybe I hadn't thought of the melody by that point. I don't think it was London Bridge is Falling down though...

22-23mpg sounds bad! Especially for an Uno.

How long until we get a result for the gentle driving Sammi?

Tomorrow or friday. If i can get it to last till I get to oswestry on friday then I reckon its a vast improvement as i filled up last wednesday night.

Helz is coming over to mine tomorrow so this depends on me not doing much driving :eek: so it could go out the window :eek:

i think i am on about 310 miles and i have got just over quarter of a tank left but it seems to be dropping quicker than the first half.

Hellcat said:
Not sure which tune I had in mind.. Maybe I hadn't thought of the melody by that point. I don't think it was London Bridge is Falling down though...

22-23mpg sounds bad! Especially for an Uno.

How long until we get a result for the gentle driving Sammi?

i get about that from my uno but i nail it everywhere, keep the revs up at 4k rpm and its alot more responsive in the gears

The key to economy is smoothness. OK almost everyone here likes to put thier foot down at least sometimes, but in everyday motoring where it hit the wallet hard it's better to try and save money and the car. Braking simply turns your momentum to heat, that momentum having come from the petrol.

I tend to corner faster without braking before (unless it's really needed or there's a scared driver infront). Keeping at a steady speed in traffic, rather than stop/start. Also not accelerating so much up hill (unless you need to). Downhill acceleration is very cheap, but uphill it's expensive on fuel, so it pays to get some momentum and let sthat get you up the hill - reduce the pressure on the pedal and let the car slow slightly and once over the brow get abck your speed. Let annoyed/faster cars behind pass you (that's hard on the ego) if they want, in most conditions you'll catch them up again anyway.

My Punto 8v (and the 307 1.6 I have to drive at the moment) both do 500+ miles to a tank (although not always). It makes a difference to not be filling up so often!

bulldog5046 said:
i get about that from my uno but i nail it everywhere, keep the revs up at 4k rpm and its alot more responsive in the gears

I know of bloody V8s that do better on the juice than what it did! lol

Back